• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Inside intel says Camelback PA is being purchased by KSL

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well as a passholder I'm disappointed in this news. Was hoping to consolidate down to one pass (Ikon pass arrived in mail this past weekend) but no such luck so its back to the same thing as last year with the 2 passes. Was never sure how they were going to work 1st tracks anyways and that's a perk we would want to keep as we use it quite often.

Tearing down the lodge complex doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The lodge is quite roomy as it is and the bar is a classic plus the deck is beautiful in the spring. I could see tearing down and rebuilding Sun Bowl Lodge. My guess is the restaurant up top and the one in the old Glen Lodge are the ones not included. The building up top while built by Camelback has connections with the state park so I can see why it might not be included.

Oh well at least some questions have been answered.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting.
I wish one of theses Mega Pass guys would buy Blue, they need to have some money pumped into the place.

But they did redo their lodge (and it’s quite nice despite some still existing quirks) and the base area lodge has been improved, too. They have high speed quads, some glades....I think they have better facilities than many other PA resorts.

That said, surprised though that Blue hasn’t been assimilated.

Jack Frost, and Big Boulder, on the other hand, have dismal lodges in comparison. Although they have less vertical than Blue, they are unique little gems and the oldest 2 ski areas in PA with an interesting history. They are also “true Pocono” resorts...they sit firmly atop the Pocono Plateau with a slightly different ecosystem (and weather)! A drive up the NE Extension in winter often includes snow squalls with accumulation once you’ve climbed up to the plateau (and a significant temperature drop) well past where Blue is located. Peak Resorts invested no real capital into these 2 places....let’s hope Vail does at some point.

Blue is not really part of the Poconos, it is part of the Valley and Ridge System, even though they like to claim, for marketing purposes, that they are in the “Pocono Mountains.” (The Poconos aren't really mountains, it is a big plateau cut by rivers and streams, but that’s another discussion).

Last edited:

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
I’m a Season pass holder at Blue and everything you said is spot on.
I would like to see “Coming Soon” open and some more runs, it shouldn’t take 3-4 years to add one run. I live on top of the mountain you are referring to, it’s a whole different climate up there. I often get snow at my house and Blue gets rain.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Elk, Blue and Jack Frost were my favorite "Pocono" resorts. I visited Camelback and Montage once each, but decided that proceeding to Elk made the most sense if I bypassed Blue and JF. Elk really was just for extended weekends or bus trips where I could relax on the way up or back. Of the three, I have way more Blue visits although the snow quality is better at JF and Elk. If one of the mega passes had stepped in at Blue in the last few years, it might have influenced where I decided to commit to in VT. JF and Mt Snow were just not enough after visiting other NE resorts.

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
I like Elk a lot, went twice last year, they have some interesting runs but they need a detachable lift and a new lodge.
Blue and CB are 30 minutes from home, Frost and Boulder are about 15. The only time I skied JF/BB was when I had the Peaks Pass, those runs are so short and lifts are so slow, I was spending much more time going up the mountain than down.

Last edited:

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’m a Season pass holder at Blue and everything you said is spot on.
I would like to see “Coming Soon” open and some more runs, it shouldn’t take 3-4 years to add one run. I live on top of the mountain you are referring to, it’s a whole different climate up there. I often get snow at my house and Blue gets rain.

If that trail isn't named "Coming Soon" when it finally opens one day, I'm going to be very disappointed. lol

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh, but wait...there is more. Camelback was losing money on payroll, so KSL did a lot of consolidation (marketing, etc). They also required all Camelback employees to take a drug test - and 400 of them failed - so there were firings.

Rumor is going around that they are going to level the existing lodge and build a “grand lodge” - but that is just rumor at this point.

Was up at the mountain yesterday for a hike with some friends who have a place in Camelback Village. Confirmed that a lot of the above information is true. Several long time employees are gone and some others let on their own so there will be some changes this year. May not be so much of a replacement of the lodge but a rebuild with interior changes to make it not so broken up in sections as it is now.

Other news 375 new snow guns and upgrades on several trails such as Cliffhanger, Pocono Raceway and Birches and others. Rumors of some lift replacements on the horizon. Maybe that HSQ up the middle like I would like to see.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Upgrades on Pocono Raceway? What was done?

Part of the snow making upgrade is on Pocono Raceway. They have never had anything but those mobile fan guns on it and maybe the upgrades will allow it to open faster and be refreshed more often. Cliffhanger is getting a much needed up grade too. Didn't get over there on our hike but did see the work they had layed out on Birches.

On a side note, Do we start up the Pocono thread like last year? Some of our other mid-Atlantic folks seemed to take a little offense to it last season. Not trying to make waves or offend anyone but I still feel we are a different beast then the folks out in western PA and south and west of there.

Got my passes, (CBK and Ikon) and almost ready to roll. See a couple of weeks of cold air coming. Will it be enough to get things rolling here? Only god knows. Have seen Thanksgiving skiing before in the Pocono's but never count on it. Ullr fest is next (not this coming but next) weekend and I'll probably go up to have some drinks and re-aquaint with winter friends. Would be wonderful to see them pounding the mountain.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After not skiing the Poconos the last two years, I'm hoping to visit some of the old haunts over Christmas break as we will not be able to spend it at Killington. My work is no problem, but my wife's schedule is going kill us until she retires.

Bring back the Pocono thread!

CoachBnB

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Was up at the mountain yesterday for a hike with some friends who have a place in Camelback Village. Confirmed that a lot of the above information is true. Several long time employees are gone and some others let on their own so there will be some changes this year. May not be so much of a replacement of the lodge but a rebuild with interior changes to make it not so broken up in sections as it is now.

Other news 375 new snow guns and upgrades on several trails such as Cliffhanger, Pocono Raceway and Birches and others. Rumors of some lift replacements on the horizon. Maybe that HSQ up the middle like I would like to see.
Oh, but wait...there is more. Camelback was losing money on payroll, so KSL did a lot of consolidation (marketing, etc). They also required all Camelback employees to take a drug test - and 400 of them failed - so there were firings.

Rumor is going around that they are going to level the existing lodge and build a “grand lodge” - but that is just rumor at this point.
How many people are employed by Camelback. How many were fired. Were all the firings drug related.

Jane Jones

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have some inside intel, but no confirmation that KSL is in the process of purchasing Camelback.
Will change this thread and confirm soon.

View attachment 70831
View attachment 70832

Wondering if Camelback will be on the IKON pass​
SO, we know that your info was correct since KSL purchased Camelback. I wonder when they began discussions? Ideas? Just wondering how long they knew that there would be other ski pass options.

Sponsor

Staff online