• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Inside intel says Camelback PA is being purchased by KSL

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Twittering?
tenor.gif

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
SO. Did KSL buy the mountain?
We hear it is a done deal and that it is could have been announced as early as May. We are not sure what the hold up is. It looks like you are from the area...what inside can you add to the discussion.

Jane Jones

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Word on the street is that it was sold. Thought someone would know the details by now. Skiers would like to know !

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Word on the street is that it was sold. Thought someone would know the details by now. Skiers would like to know !
You and us both. I am not sure what you have heard, I know what I have heard, again from two very good sources that is is a DONE Deal. I am not sure of the particulars like will it be fully under the KSL umbrella, jsut a partner and what real estate is included but we hope to hear very soon. If you have anything to add that is more than hearsay, you are welcome to add it.

Jane Jones

Skier
You and us both. I am not sure what you have heard, I know what I have heard, again from two very good sources that is is a DONE Deal. I am not sure of the particulars like will it be fully under the KSL umbrella, jsut a partner and what real estate is included but we hope to hear very soon. If you have anything to add that is more than hearsay, you are welcome to add it.

Heard the same thing. Employees say it was sold. New management, but haven’t seen it publicized. Website is KSL. Why the big secret?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Heard the same thing. Employees say it was sold. New management, but haven’t seen it publicized. Website is KSL. Why the big secret?
I don't think they are trying to keep anything secret, there are a lot of layers to a purchase/aquisition like this.

It sounds like you are a local, I am a PMHS grad, and graduated with Stevenson's so. What are your thoughts, do you like the idea of KSL and what they bring to the table?

Jane Jones

Skier
I don't think they are trying to keep anything secret, there are a lot of layers to a purchase/aquisition like this.

It sounds like you are a local, I am a PMHS grad, and graduated with Stevenson's so. What are your thoughts, do you like the idea of KSL and what they bring to the table?

I never like big corporate owners in a small town business. The past owners were local so They understood the culture of the area. However, KSL has been managing Camelback for a long time so I guess they get it. The good news about big corporate owners is that they can offer passes to other mountains, which is great for skiers.
BUT The deal is done. Employees were notified. Locals know. Just Waiting for a public announcement.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
However, KSL has been managing Camelback for a long time so I guess they get it.
I didn't realize that KSL has been managing Camelback for a while. It has been decades since I skied there.

I don't know why the announcement is taking so long, from what I understand, it was supposed to happen in May then I would have thought it would have been a good counter punch to Vail and their Peak purchase.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I never like big corporate owners in a small town business. The past owners were local so They understood the culture of the area. However, KSL has been managing Camelback for a long time so I guess they get it. The good news about big corporate owners is that they can offer passes to other mountains, which is great for skiers.
BUT The deal is done. Employees were notified. Locals know. Just Waiting for a public announcement.

Interesting. Art's been out of there for a while but I don't believe KSL has been running the show. And I'm not sure CMR is too small town either.

I do have a contact who was high up in management till his retirement a couple of years ago (thus still in the rumor loop) and he spoke of KSL's interest and how he thought they would possibly be buying but he never said KSL was involved at that time (just this past season). I just saw a couple of winter employees a couple of weekends ago and I guess they didn't know anything because I'm sure they would have said something if they did.

Anyway I'm all for them getting on board with Ikon. Even if they make me upgrade my current Ikon (Like Stratton does for unlimited skiing) I'll still save over last year with the Camelback Super Pass and Ikon base.

IMG_0030.JPG

A little Asp stoke for the off season

Jane Jones

Skier
It is official!! KSL Management group has purchased Camelback Ski Mountain. The liquor license transfer notice has been posted and it says “due to change of ownership”.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
We hear it is a done deal and that it is could have been announced as early as May. We are not sure what the hold up is. It looks like you are from the area...what inside can you add to the discussion.
What could be happening is if Camelback is being held within the KSL properties group. This is a separate entity than Alterra. And while KSL is a majority owner of Alterra, they are not sole owner.

If the above premise is correct, they may still be working out details of how/if Camelback's participation within the Ikon pass will work.

Edit: and also potentially still working out how to carve out Camelback ski operations to Alterra and maintaining other items within KSL properties.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
What could be happening is if Camelback is being held within the KSL properties group. This is a separate entity than Alterra. And while KSL is a majority owner of Alterra, they are not sole owner.

If the above premise is correct, they may still be working out details of how/if Camelback's participation within the Ikon pass will work.

Edit: and also potentially still working out how to carve out Camelback ski operations to Alterra and maintaining other items within KSL properties.

I think you and others are a little confused - KSL Resorts operates/owns Camelback, which is nothing new, while KSL Capital Partners is the co-owner of Alterra along with Henry Crown & Co.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online