• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Inside intel says Camelback PA is being purchased by KSL

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
When we first started visiting NE resorts, our plan was to scope out where we would purchase for retirement. I had hoped that a local PA resort would be purchased by one of the conglomerates to make it easier to ski locally as well, but only Jack Frost and Big Boulder were part of the Peak Pass with Mt Snow. We didn't get too far after visiting Mt Snow, Sunday River, Sugarloaf, and Killington, the latter which is about the extreme of driving distance my wife would tolerate (7 hr on a good NJ/NY traffic day). So it was Killington for the win! But I would still like it if a local PA resort ended up on the same pass with K. The problem is that K is not unlimited on Ikon, so we get K season passes. With the day trip distance, really only Blue and Camelback would be worth the effort now with Elk being already halfway to K! My wife really began to hate those day trips even on the bus to Elk...

Peak Pass - Unlimited and unrestricted skiing for $629 for 30+ years old, $399 for 7 to 30 years olds, and $60 for kids.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Peak Pass - Unlimited and unrestricted skiing for $629 for 30+ years old, $399 for 7 to 30 years olds, and $60 for kids.
Yeah, just not in the cards with a Killington season pass, I'd rather spend that money on an Ikon base if a local PA resort joins. Then I could visit other large resorts as well. Peak Pass is too limited in options.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, just not in the cards with a Killington season pass, I'd rather spend that money on an Ikon base if a local PA resort joins. Then I could visit other large resorts as well. Peak Pass is too limited in options.

Whatever floats your boat - options for everyone.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
When we first started visiting NE resorts, our plan was to scope out where we would purchase for retirement. I had hoped that a local PA resort would be purchased by one of the conglomerates to make it easier to ski locally as well, but only Jack Frost and Big Boulder were part of the Peak Pass with Mt Snow.

Peak looked into buying Camelback back when it was being sold by the original owners. This was pre-hotel and I don't know how or why they finally picked BB/JF, but they did.

The problem is that K is not unlimited on Ikon, so we get K season passes.

Max Pass had that ideal set up with the add on to an areas pass. Ikon basically took over Max Pass (and many of the areas on it) so they must have all the data how successful or unsuccessful that model was. Of course Killlington is owned by Powdr. Camelback and Stratton may have reciprocal thing going though if this pans out.

With the day trip distance, really only Blue and Camelback would be worth the effort now with Elk being already halfway to K! My wife really began to hate those day trips even on the bus to Elk...

Know where your coming from on this one. Elk is a great place but completely off my radar now (the Catskills as well). Camelback is the only place I ski in the area. Blue is a fine ski area but not worth the extra 1/2 hr and Shawnee and Mountain Creek are not my cup of tea. So its either head west on 80 for 45 min or north on 287,and if I'm going that direction I'm going all the way up to Vermont.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Blue is closer to me than CB, so of course it will end up with Epic!

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out, but my reality now is Killington.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
What market does Camelback serve? It’s gwnerally a wise strategy for a conglomerate to own local mountains close to the major population centers that will then serve as gateways to their one a year ski trip out west.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
What market does Camelback serve? It’s gwnerally a wise strategy for a conglomerate to own local mountains close to the major population centers that will then serve as gateways to their one a year ski trip out west.
It draws from both Philadelphia and New York City.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I received a second conformation that this is happening. It will be announced mid May.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, does this confirm (almost) that Camelback will be on Ikon? To get the early season pricing on Ikon, should we (NEPA skiers) commit now? Would totally be worth it now...to have a “home” resort and be able to take trips and not worry about daily tix.

My home resort has always been Elk.....but I actually live closer to Camelback.........this could be a big change.....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, does this confirm (almost) that Camelback will be on Ikon? To get the early season pricing on Ikon, should we (NEPA skiers) commit now? Would totally be worth it now...to have a “home” resort and be able to take trips and not worry about daily tix.

My home resort has always been Elk.....but I actually live closer to Camelback.........this could be a big change.....
From what I understand, It is all but i's crossed and t's dotted at this point.

Reactions: BC.
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

It would be my intelligent guess that Camelback will be on the IKON pass. But I'm not privy to the inner sanctum so I *could* be wrong.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It would be my intelligent guess that Camelback will be on the IKON pass. But I'm not privy to the inner sanctum so I *could* be wrong.

No worries....just thinking about the possibilities. Thanks for the news.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier

And this is precisely why KSL is buying it ...

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
So a little speculation. Camelback goes on Ikon the way Stratton is. Base pass 5 days, the higher pass gets you unlimited.

Wonder what the 1st tracks policy will be? I know Stratton has one but I don't know if it applies to the higher cost Ikon pass, it certainly does not apply to the base pass.

Crowding? Parking lots get full now so I'm not sure where they could put more.

Still a deal for me.

As for the future, Seems like these pass deals have helped other ski areas with infrastructure and improvements. Snow Bowl quad at Stratton is a great example Certainly Camelback could use some lift up grades. Expansion to the east and upgrading the middle of the mountain with a high speed come to mind.

Besides that I hope they keep up some of the good things they've been doing with snowmaking and bumps Certainly would love to meet up with any Pugsters coming over for a gathering and to check it out.

View of the Camelback Lodge Hotel and east side trails.

IMG_3164.JPG

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
New York City, New Jersey, Philadelphia. A good season pass base with plenty of people like us who will travel.
Well, if you come to our resorts, either come mid-week, or go to a fly-in resort like Aspen or Jackson Hole. If you compete for powder on a Western resort that is close to a big metro area, you end up competing with local weekend warriors who will always win. And donate the money you save on lift tix to PugSki :beercheer:.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, if you come to our resorts, either come mid-week, or go to a fly-in resort like Aspen or Jackson Hole. If you compete for powder on a Western resort that is close to a big metro area, you end up competing with local weekend warriors who will always win. And donate the money you save on lift tix to PugSki :beercheer:.

Don't see my habits changing too much. All ready travel west one or two trips each season, and being in the empty nest we weekend up in Northern New England several times a season too. Camelback just fills the local itch and provides a great place to practice. Ikon just makes it easier.

While I love powder, I don't chase it. If it happens where I am, great.

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
How much is a Camelback pass right now? Never been there, but I assume based on the stats I've seen and the geography that its closest analog on the Ikon pass would be Snowshoe, which is currently unlimited skiing on the base pass. If it's got huge population centers to draw from, though, they might want to limit it a bit.

Sponsor

Staff online