• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Sequential?
(Not necessarily an instructor term)

Yes, thank you! Just couldn't think of the dang word.

All I want for Christmas is simultaneous two footed skiing!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Are you around to ski this week?
Yes, most days. Squalpine

Me 2.

As this thread begins to wrap up I’ll add a couple thoughts.
Phrases like “inside foot pullback”, “strong inside half”, “long leg, short leg”, “shin/tongue”, “level shoulders”, etc. are auditory cues meant to illicit a particular isolated behavior or focus. By themselves they are only a slice of the whole but when they trigger positive movements up the kinetic chain & dynamic balance through the turn they can be golden.

These labels, buzzwords/phrases are not meant to be the end all in skiing or technique & may not always be relatable for everyone. For instance, a phrase like “shin tongue contact” by itself may leave the skier over flexed, too far forward & without the ability to tip the skis on edge effectively. For someone who is constantly ending up “back & inside” it may make all the difference.

It has come up in this thread as well as others that ski racing is not what most skiers do & this is true. Look at the race track as the laboratory from which new cures are discovered. Not all ski racers are the best all mountain/all condition skiers but they sure adapt quickly when they enter that realm.

So learn to sift through the good & bad, retain what works for you & discard the rest. Learning and understanding often rely on your perspective & ability to shift it.

As I have said before, I am sure that I have learned more from my students and athletes than they ever have from me.
2480CB7F-585F-4E82-A37F-480604FC7620.jpeg

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So learn to sift through the good & bad, retain what works for you & discard the rest. Learning and understanding often rely on your perspective & ability to shift it.

:micdrop:

lcm

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

Just curious, if you put your inside knee in front of your outside knee, are you still able to keep the strip on your knee?

Just curious, if you put your inside knee in front of your outside knee, like other ppl side "lazy inside leg", should you still be able to keep the strap on your knee?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Just curious, if you put your inside knee in front of your outside knee, are you still able to keep the strip on your knee?

Just curious, if you put your inside knee in front of your outside knee, like other ppl side "lazy inside leg", should you still be able to keep the strap on your knee?

It's possible to cheat the drill. But if you're doing the drill mindfully and with the intention of keeping an even stance, it's pretty obvious whether you're stretching the strap the "right" way.

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
I once skied with a strap on but it was too icy and I couldn’t get any penetration. But, when things softened up in the afternoon, I still had the same difficulty. So frustrating! Even to the point of emasculation. When I went to search for instructional videos of this on YouTube, all I got some weird age restricted material warning so, I am going to film my own demo and post the video when I have time to do it. I may need some help. Who’s with me?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I once skied with a strap on but it was too icy and I couldn’t get any penetration. But, when things softened up in the afternoon, I still had the same difficulty. So frustrating! Even to the point of emasculation. When I went to search for instructional videos of this on YouTube, all I got some weird age restricted material warning so, I am going to film my own demo and post the video when I have time to do it. I may need some help. Who’s with me?

The current working product name is "Belleville's strap on" ... maybe try that search term?

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
A really good exercise is the thumb strap. A 3 - 4 inch loop of rope you put your thumbs through while skiing w/o poles. The more awkward it feels, the more overreliance the subject will have had on arms for balance. This exercise will return your balance to your feet where it belongs. As do many good drills, it encourages the removal of motor pattern codependency between the upper and lower body thus enhancing separation. It forces the skier to point their arms in the direction that their center of mass must take in relation to their feet (BoS) throughout the turn and, therefore, encourages effective rotation throughout the entire skeleton.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm not sure I want to watch that video. And it certainly should be age restricted! :roflmao:

The current working product name is "Belleville's strap on" ... maybe try that search term?

I'm not searching anything with that word combination.... :eek:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A really good exercise is the thumb strap. A 3 - 4 inch loop of rope you put your thumbs through while skiing w/o poles. The more awkward it feels, the more overreliance the subject will have had on arms for balance. This exercise will return your balance to your feet where it belongs. As do many good drills, it encourages the removal of motor pattern codependency between the upper and lower body thus enhancing separation. It forces the skier to point their arms in the direction that their center of mass must take in relation to their feet (BoS) throughout the turn and, therefore, encourages effective rotation throughout the entire skeleton.

Both thumbs in the same loop?

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
I'm not sure I want to watch that video. And it certainly should be age restricted! :roflmao:

I'm not searching anything with that word combination.... :eek:

I'm glad you said it. Both of these posts had me laughing inappropriately.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor

I have an instructor buddy who does the same sort of thing by giving students a twig to hold between both hands.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Totally off topic now, but Barb Marshall has a weight lifting belt with bungee cords that attach to wrist cuffs. You have to try to keep them stretched. "Bring out the gimp".

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Totally off topic now, but Barb Marshall has a weight lifting belt with bungee cords that attach to wrist cuffs. You have to try to keep them stretched. "Bring out the gimp".

Huh. Why a lifting belt? They're incredibly stiff and uncomfortable, and would be hard to fit around ski clothes. Or does the gimp have to be naked?

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Huh. Why a lifting belt? They're incredibly stiff and uncomfortable, and would be hard to fit around ski clothes. Or does the gimp have to be naked?

:huh:

Maybe it's just what she had on hand. It's an awkward setup, but not because of the belt!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
:huh:

Maybe it's just what she had on hand. It's an awkward setup, but not because of the belt!
All of the above, I think!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We did a drill in Taos Ski week where we had to keep a pole balanced on top of both wrists while making turns. Definitely keeps you from dropping either hand in a turn.

Sponsor