• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I don't ride bikes. I may sometime but they're just not my thing. That said, I watched this entire video (30 minutes or so) and was blown away. This is some kind of crazy! I didn't know such a thing existed.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Holy cow... I thought "now why would someone who doesn't bike watch such a long video" ... then I watched the whole thing.

I thought it was about over when he got into town... then it got crazier.

I do like mountain biking... the little bit of it I've done. So some parts looked cool, but others were a bit crazy. I found it impressive that they stayed on course with so little marking.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
So, I don't ride bikes. I may sometime but they're just not my thing. That said, I watched this entire video (30 minutes or so) and was blown away. This is some kind of crazy! I didn't know such a thing existed.
Very fun! Its like watching somebody else play a really exciting video game.

Where is this? One of the cool parts is there is nothing here I wouldn't do . . . at a much, much, slower pace. Looks like a blast!

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I found it impressive that they stayed on course with so little marking.
I found it impressive that they even make it to the bottom and when they get there the tires still have air!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I found it impressive that they even make it to the bottom and when they get there the tires still have air!
Yeah. From a MTB perspective, I saw nothing* that a complete and udder hack like me, or even a non mtber couldn't do. But the pace at which they did it was just incredible. Especially some of the backswitches. I found myself yelling "BRAKE!" in my head a couple of times.

*So, I did watch the whole thing but I did arrow jump through major sections. So maybe I missed something crazy. But what I saw in terms of technical stuff was no big deal. I am much more frightened of Annadale than that ride. But, again, the pace was incredible. I don't think I could (would choose to) make it down in double the time they did.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I watched some other videos from the POV of riders starting further back in the pack. It didn't turn out well for some of them. On the top in the snow the leaders were clocking over 100kph.

I'm sure I could get down the mountain but I'd probably need to stop for the night after the first 8 hours of riding. :philgoat:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah. From a MTB perspective, I saw nothing* that a complete and udder hack like me, or even a non mtber couldn't do. But the pace at which they did it was just incredible. Especially some of the backswitches. I found myself yelling "BRAKE!" in my head a couple of times.

*So, I did watch the whole thing but I did arrow jump through major sections. So maybe I missed something crazy. But what I saw in terms of technical stuff was no big deal. I am much more frightened of Annadale than that ride. But, again, the pace was incredible. I don't think I could (would choose to) make it down in double the time they did.

I would generally agree with this... even though I have done only a little mountain biking. But some of the last section, with the steps and drops and rocks, I don't think I could have done regardless of the speed. For example, from 24:04 to 24:12. That little section would probably have me walking the bike. Several others like that too.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I would generally agree with this... even though I have done only a little mountain biking. But some of the last section, with the steps and drops and rocks, I don't think I could have done regardless of the speed. For example, from 24:04 to 24:12. That little section would probably have me walking the bike. Several others like that too.
Its a good point. I just watched that specific section. The rider actually went around several of them, which I totally would have done too. But the last two--a drop where he skipped a switchback, and then a step on what is clearly a hiking trail ordinarily, yeah, I'll admit, I'd want a closer look before deciding. Which in reality would just mean, if it was my first time down, I'd walk the bike around it.

However, if you haven't been on a modern FS MTB, you would be shocked at how irrelevant some of those rocks and even the steps from the earlier part of that sequence are. The biggest danger with those rocks is not the rocks themselves but the possibility of wedging a tire between two of them and going endo. That's the novice mistake, because it seems easier to go between than over. But over (or better yet, around altogether) is the safer way.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I watched some other videos from the POV of riders starting further back in the pack. It didn't turn out well for some of them. On the top in the snow the leaders were clocking over 100kph.

I'm sure I could get down the mountain but I'd probably need to stop for the night after the first 8 hours of riding. :philgoat:
There is also a wide downhill gravel section just after they get out of the snow where I bet they are going that fast. It made me pucker just watching it.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Blue man fell!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...if you haven't been on a modern FS MTB, you would be shocked at how irrelevant some of those rocks and even the steps from the earlier part of that sequence are.

Yes, the mountain biking I've done has been on bikes without any suspension. I think maybe I should get out and try a modern one sometime.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think maybe I should get out and try a modern one sometime.
I'm afraid to. It would likely become another expensive pastime!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We can all sign up here.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This needs to be the start of one of the Tour de France Stages. Can you picture the peloton heading down the slope? :bikewheelie:

upload_2018-10-30_19-24-20.gif

Sponsor

Staff online