• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Innsbruck Mid Feb Input

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Headed to Innsbruck, Austria Feb 14-19, first trip skiing Europe/Alps. Staying in old town and taking ski bus or funiculars (or whatever those are called) from town. 3 brothers, we span strong intermediate/advanced to low expert (double black off piste all good. Hucking 50' cliffs, no good) skier range. Only have 4 full ski days want to make them count! Pray for ski weather.

Majority of my adult skiing has occurred in the last 6 years when I really got the bug, primarily Utah - Alta and some Snowbird (I'm spoiled, I know it) but also skied plenty of SouthEast in NC (2 minutes up, 30 seconds down! :D ) - and Crested Butte, CO. This year been to Alta and Snowbird, Taos in a couple weeks, Innsbruck and Banff in March. Like I said got the bug.

Specific questions would love to hear from locals/experienced Austrian Alps skiers.

1) Best shop to rent skis (got boots already)? In town, or on the slopes? We're leaning in town due to plan to ski different resorts each day, but then there's not a good option to swap if we make the wrong call for that day. Hence, at each resort option.

2) Specific guide for touring (or what we'd call backcountry I think in America) out of Kuhtai? Either a business, or specific person ideally. Weather/conditions permitting I'm dead set on hiring a guide, the posted pricing on sites is surprisingly low! Seems a good way to beat crowds too.

3) Is there a better deal than the Olympia Skiworld pass for multi-day multi-resort?

4) Any hills to avoid? Any that are "must ski"? Right now my list is Nordkette, Axamer Lizum, Stubai Glacier and Kuhtai

5) Top spots for Innsbruck après? Non-ski must dos?

thanks!

James

Out There
Instructor
Headed to Innsbruck, Austria Feb 14-19, first trip skiing Europe/Alps. Staying in old town and taking ski bus or funiculars (or whatever those are called) from town. 3 brothers, we span strong intermediate/advanced to low expert (double black off piste all good. Hucking 50' cliffs, no good) skier range. Only have 4 full ski days want to make them count! Pray for ski weather.

Majority of my adult skiing has occurred in the last 6 years when I really got the bug, primarily Utah - Alta and some Snowbird (I'm spoiled, I know it) but also skied plenty of SouthEast in NC (2 minutes up, 30 seconds down! :D ) - and Crested Butte, CO. This year been to Alta and Snowbird, Taos in a couple weeks, Innsbruck and Banff in March. Like I said got the bug.

Specific questions would love to hear from locals/experienced Austrian Alps skiers.

1) Best shop to rent skis (got boots already)? In town, or on the slopes? We're leaning in town due to plan to ski different resorts each day, but then there's not a good option to swap if we make the wrong call for that day. Hence, at each resort option.

2) Specific guide for touring (or what we'd call backcountry I think in America) out of Kuhtai? Either a business, or specific person ideally. Weather/conditions permitting I'm dead set on hiring a guide, the posted pricing on sites is surprisingly low! Seems a good way to beat crowds too.

3) Is there a better deal than the Olympia Skiworld pass for multi-day multi-resort?

4) Any hills to avoid? Any that are "must ski"? Right now my list is Nordkette, Axamer Lizum, Stubai Glacier and Kuhtai

thanks!
In terms of off piste it would be, how much willing to hike, have tech equipment or AT setup, how do you feel about rappeling - nah that's probably just Chamonix. Guide day can be simple or much more complex. You kind of work that out with guide. Don't stop below guide - that really pisses them off. There are good reasons for that.
Don't know Austrian, but French, Swiss guide are not that communicative. If you hire one for your own group it should be better than joining a random group.
Most stuff can be rented, avy gear. Abs backpacks are pretty normal it seems.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I don't think there is a better deal than the Olympia Skiworld pass. The Nordkette is quite steep and impressive. Also, I can recommend Axamer Lizum (all in that pass).

Here's an overview of the area:
Knipsel.PNG

Blue = easy slope
Red = intermediate slope
Black = difficlut slope
yellow = ungroomed, but marked run ('ski route'). Not off-piste (avy-controlledand patrolled when open), but ungroomed.

If you need an out in case of rain... The Stubaier Glacier is also in that ski pass.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier

thanks!

Register on snowheads, it's a british ski site but there are lot of posters who live in Austria or ski it frequently.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier

Sorry. I haven't skied much off-piste (out of boundary) in Austria , let alone the Innsbruck area, only in Bad Gastein last spring (and that was for my own freeride guide course certification). I know of at least one Slovenijan operator and even some Italian freelance guide that sporadically comes up there for skiing but your best bet would be to contact beforehand the local Mountain Guides (Bergführer - google bergführer Innsbruck and there's plenty of freelance guides - privat bergführer - also) office or Ski Schools office and see what freeride and/or AT tours they have to offer on catalog.
Also you can check on equipment (boots, skis, skins, AirBag backpacks, BPS kits) renting options directly with them.
As for rappelling, if you're into it, just ask, for sure there will be some couloir around...
Also, purchase a good insurance (or check your current one for coverage) as SAR costs in Austria can be quite high ( just sayin'...)

P.S. Funny thing about the "stopping below guide" comment, James. That's what I knew too, for security reasons (what's below your guide is unknown territory). I knew about the opposite when skiing in piste with an instructor (stop below him/her or the last student at the bottom of the line).
Recently, thought, some guide related the opposite to be the thing to do. So, I guess, that's one point to clear out with the guide you are going to hire, a point which belongs to the chapter "let's communcate effectively when setting up a tour".
As for communication effectiveness...I am told that "to communicate clearly and effectively with your clients about the tours and actions" is a must-do nowadays.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January