• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Professional Golf Injuries take a toll on Tiger

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tiger Woods talks about the decline of his game and why he will never feel great again.
Snip from article:
He hopes to compete in the Masters at Augusta from 6-9 April.

"There have been plenty of times when I thought I would never play the game again at the elite level," added Woods, who has won 79 titles on the PGA Tour.

"It was tough, it was more than brutal. There were times I needed help just to get out of bed.

"I feel good, not great. I don't think I will ever feel great because it's three back surgeries, four knee operations.

"I'm always going to be a little bit sore. As long as I can function, I'm fine with that."

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No cut tournament with a friendly golf course. IF it is windy, which it can be in the Bahamas, he will likely struggle to break 73

He is the tournament host, and has to give himself an invitation to even play.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
He won the US Open playing with a broken leg. Hasn't been the same since though. I blame personal and mental focus as much, maybe more, than his physical condition. On that note, John Daily seems to be playing better lately..

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
He won the US Open playing with a broken leg. Hasn't been the same since though. I blame personal and mental focus as much, maybe more, than his physical condition. On that note, John Daily seems to be playing better lately..

Do you believe in coincidences?????

Drug testing was implemented the day AFTER that US Open concluded.

Just saying!

Are you SURE his leg was broken?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Do you believe in coincidences?????

Drug testing was implemented the day AFTER that US Open concluded.

Just saying!

Are you SURE his leg was broken?

Well, honestly, how well do you believe 100 % alcohol free policy golf courses would do? For me, the slightly dulled edge made the activity way more relaxing and fun than when I played at younger age before I was old enough to add a beer or four to the mix. I haven't played since quitting alcohol 18 years ago.. but would like to try golf again because I did enjoy still playing 100% sober when younger..

Back on topic, it's been crystal clear for quite some tome that Tiger probably has a substance abuse problem.. Very likely due to injury and rehab meds prescribed legitimately initially. Hope he can get that aspect of his life resolved, otherwise the dumpster fires will get worse, possibly fatal..

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@crgildart

Not sure what your point is about the alcohol above, and I am not taking about the pain related meds.

I’ll leave the rest up to your imagination, I am sure you can figure it out

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
@crgildart

Not sure what your point is about the alcohol above, and I am not taking about the pain related meds.

So you're saying Tiger was taking PED's or other illegal drugs and the PGA/USGA purposely delayed implementation of the drug policy to prevent a positive?

Muleski

Inactive
Just saying, Tiger and LV were an very interesting couple. That was at the absolute height of RedBull managing her entire off snow program, including nutrition and supplements. And when she and Tiger broke up, or not long after, RB's role allegedly diminished, and her focus on her runway/beach body increased. And her injuries and performance started to slide. Lots of reasons to explain it. Age, different focus, bad luck, etc.

Not "my" theory, BTW. Other athletes have "grown" real fast in lean muscle mass. Tiger, and more than a few male ski racers affiliated with RedBull. Like the two biggest male names in the sport right now. Big changes over less than six months at one time. Before them, do we think that a certain Austrian developed that body as a bricklayer, and later in the gym. We can go on, an on. I can think of a dozen skiers who people whispered about...male and female. Let alone the Nordic skiers.

A lot of whispers and snickering went on fairly recently. Followed by more injuries, and at least an appearance of being a bit "smaller."

No need to dance around it. Plenty of chatter for many, many years. Some closer to it have/had stronger opinions. May be all offbase, but many speculate about it.

When it permeated most sports, it was hard to not think about how it could effect every sport. I recall a friend telling me that he was convinced that in some equestrian event both the horse and rider were on PED's.

I have always like Bode's idea. Let people use whatever they want for PED's, and for equipment.
This was at about the time when the GS ski radius debate was over the top, and when an older friend of his was being prescribed HGH and other banned substances to help with some type of surgery recovery.

I guess that the fact that it's been part of some sports for so long taints my thinking. And makes me think that it's much less than a decade ago.

Last edited:

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Johnny Miller, amongst many others were predicting Tiger’s physical demise back in the mid nineties when he was still an amateur. I think many more could see his mental demise as well, just not the exact way it would happen. How the mighty have fallen.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
@crgildart

I'm talking about chemicals which now impair his performance on the course and in general life. Are there also PEDs in play, possibly to counter the non PEDs? Probably, but that's something way more pervasive in both skiing and golf now. The personal issue stuff, i.e. full blown addiction disorder doesn't show any signs of improving. If he can't resolve that all the PEDs above or under the radar won't matter.

Also, does anyone really believe that a fair number of pro golfers don't take chemical measures to calm their nerves and help them focus.. talking recreational stuff, ADHD/ADD meds, etc??. Opium and alcohol addiction might help or hurt your game depending but will very likely wreck your personal life and impact that of those around you as well. He needs to start there..

scott43

Skier
Also, does anyone really believe that a fair number of pro golfers don't take chemical measures to calm their nerves and help them focus.. talking recreational stuff, ADHD/ADD meds, etc??.
I believe that there are a lot of athletes using illegal substances to help their game/performance..especially at the top level. I'm just curious about what level of complicity the sanctioning bodies have when it comes to testing and/or recognizing this. You know, there are sports where the body actually gives a damn..some where they don't and just want to do the bare minimum so as not to look complicit...and then you have the bodies who actually conspire with the athletes to ensure no fallout. I guess it's a morality call..just how dirty are the money bag holders? What's the price to sell your soul? For instance, where does the IOC and USOC figure on that scale? I'd love to know..one day maybe..

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Opium and alcohol addiction might help or hurt your game depending but will very likely wreck your personal life and impact that of those around you as well. He needs to start there..

OK, now you are getting into some very interesting stuff.

I am an analytical F**ker, so I have delved into this stuff quite a bit, so....

I admitted on the air that I took Beta-Blockers on one occasion in a tournament. (I am old and there were no lists or drug testing in my time). I hated the feeling it gave me, I played golf for the thrill, I would have done it for free. The excitement of the “contest” was what drove me as much as anything. A non-team sport is all you and it is the ultimate adrenaline rush if you get in deep enough water. I had about 30 Beta-Blockers, and I got back to the hotel that night and flushed them down the toilet. I tried it out of curiosity more than anything. Now, a competitor who is results based would love those things. I am about the journey, not the result.

So.... I have done a lot of research (in terms of speaking to experts in the medical world) about the relationship with opioids and fine motor skill movements. BTW, I have NOT talked about this on the air, this was more so I could understand how chemicals effect putting skills/results. I became curious because going back in history, guys that drank a lot typically lost their putting prowess in their mid-late 30’s (Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer to just name two but the list is extremely long). I followed up and inquired about opioids and alcohol. Sure enough, I was told that long term use of those substance types will have a negative affect on fine motor skills, and hence putting skills.

Do those substances effect eyesight? Hmmm, I don’t know, but I do know that even minuscule deterioration of eyesight has a big impact on TOUR level putting. Eyes have a lot of fine/minuscule movements. Why is this important? The small slopes that you need to read to play at that level take great eyesight. Some have overcome this in their careers, but it is very rare. (Tiger had lasik surgery early in his career, and I believe had it done a second time as well, but not 100% positive on the second)

Interesting stuff for sure

BTW, the above is not about any one person, but rather a response to @crgildart ‘s thoughts

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I believe that there are a lot of athletes using illegal substances to help their game/performance..especially at the top level. I'm just curious about what level of complicity the sanctioning bodies have when it comes to testing and/or recognizing this. You know, there are sports where the body actually gives a damn..some where they don't and just want to do the bare minimum so as not to look complicit...and then you have the bodies who actually conspire with the athletes to ensure no fallout. I guess it's a morality call..just how dirty are the money bag holders? What's the price to sell your soul? For instance, where does the IOC and USOC figure on that scale? I'd love to know..one day maybe..

HA HA HA

Any sport that is unwilling to adhere to 24/7/365 days a year WADA testing is hiding something.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
HA HA HA

Any sport that is unwilling to adhere to 24/7/365 days a year WADA testing is hiding something.

Hey even Darts and Snooker used to be rife with beta blockers ( to add to the 12 pints of lager per sesssion)

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
OK, now you are getting into some very interesting stuff.

I am an analytical F**ker, so I have delved into this stuff quite a bit, so....

I admitted on the air that I took Beta-Blockers on one occasion in a tournament. (I am old and there were no lists or drug testing in my time). I hated the feeling it gave me, I played golf for the thrill, I would have done it for free. The excitement of the “contest” was what drove me as much as anything. A non-team sport is all you and it is the ultimate adrenaline rush if you get in deep enough water. I had about 30 Beta-Blockers, and I got back to the hotel that night and flushed them down the toilet. I tried it out of curiosity more than anything. Now, a competitor who is results based would love those things. I am about the journey, not the result.

So.... I have done a lot of research (in terms of speaking to experts in the medical world) about the relationship with opioids and fine motor skill movements. BTW, I have NOT talked about this on the air, this was more so I could understand how chemicals effect putting skills/results. I became curious because going back in history, guys that drank a lot typically lost their putting prowess in their mid-late 30’s (Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer to just name two but the list is extremely long). I followed up and inquired about opioids and alcohol. Sure enough, I was told that long term use of those substance types will have a negative affect on fine motor skills, and hence putting skills.

Do those substances effect eyesight? Hmmm, I don’t know, but I do know that even minuscule deterioration of eyesight has a big impact on TOUR level putting. Eyes have a lot of fine/minuscule movements. Why is this important? The small slopes that you need to read to play at that level take great eyesight. Some have overcome this in their careers, but it is very rare. (Tiger had lasik surgery early in his career, and I believe had it done a second time as well, but not 100% positive on the second)

Interesting stuff for sure

BTW, the above is not about any one person, but rather a response to @crgildart ‘s thoughts

Nick Price won his majors with Beta Blockers smoothing out his putting stroke........or so they say.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

I heard him say somewhere else that the strike zone looked like it was 50 feet by 30 feet, super easy to put the ball right where he wanted to..

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Nick was prescribed Beta Blockers, he hated taking them, but had to due to health reasons

And that's the case for the defense your Honor?

Athletes hiding behind a Dr's prescription pad is not a valid excuse for using medications that are known to enhance performance. Even going back to the eighties and nineties, beta blockers were helping people take an unfair advantage in archery, competitive shooting, darts, snooker and ...... golf. Yes, he had high blood pressure, but there are more appropriate medicines than beta blockers for an athlete. Especially for those who would not want the fatigue, loss of appetite, poor temperature tolerance and decline in libido. He had to know that they were potentially giving him a competitive advantage over his fellow competitors. One of the nicest guys to be on tour, perhaps, but he has an asterisk by his name in my book.

Sponsor

Staff online