• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

bushpilot

Up Booting
Skier

Doug Fish

In the Trees
Skier
Best wishes for a very cool project. PugSki draws a lot of long time snowsports people with great fondness for smaller independent ski areas. That's where most of us started and I think we all hope there is enough love to go around the sport to keep the smaller areas thriving. The big guys will be in serious long term trouble if the "feeder" hills go away.

It will be interesting to see how your product fits in the market. Some of the affiliate programs offered by smaller ski areas are pretty astounding. Here are some of the benefits you get with a season pass from Monarch Ski Area in Colorado:

Copper Mountain, CO 3 Free Days
Loveland, CO 3 Free Days
Ski Cooper, CO 3 Free Days
Purgatory, CO 3 Free Days
Hesperus, CO 3 Free Days
Silverton, CO 1 Unguided Day*
Powderhorn, CO Unlimited 1/2 Price Days
Sunlight, CO 3 Free Days
Snowbowl (AZ) 3 Free Days
Brundage (ID) new! 3 Free Days
Sipapu (NM) 3 Free Days
Pajarito (NM) 3 Free Days
Red River (NM) 3 Free Days
Ski Apache (NM) 3 Free Days
Angel Fire (NM) 3 Free Days
Nordic Valley (UT) 3 Free Days
Grand Targhee (WY) Free Skiing with Lodging*
Snow King (WY) 3 Free Days
Masella (Spain) 3 Free Days
5-Berge (Germany) 3 Free Days
*certain restrictions apply. Call for details.

powder alliance partners

China Peak (CA) 3 Free Days*
Mountain High (CA) 3 Free Days*
Sierra at Tahoe (CA) 3 Free Days*
Sugar Bowl (CA) 3 Free Days*
Bogus Basin (ID) 3 Free Days*
Schweitzer (ID) 3 Free Days*
Bridger Bowl (MT) 3 Free Days*
Mt. Hood Ski Bowl (OR) 3 Free Days*
Timberline (OR) 3 Free Days*
Stevens Pass (WA) 3 Free Days*
Castle Mountain (Canada AB) 3 Free Days*
Marmot Basin (Canada AB) 3 Free Days*
SilverStar (Canada BC) 3 Free Days*
White Water (Canada BC) 3 Free Days*
La Parva (Chile) 3 Free Days*
Kiroro (Japan) 3 Free Days*
*Monarch season pass holders get 3 tickets per season at each Powder Alliance mountain. Tickets are FREE midweek (Monday – Friday) and 50% off weekends at each of the new 16 resorts. There are holiday blackouts at each mountain. Limit one ticket per pass holder per day. Tickets are non-transferable, non-refundable, and not redeemable for cash. For more information, visit powderalliance.com.

Jim, The Indie resort compilation was a great piece, thanks. I appreciate also the list of reciprocal resorts who participate in the many season pass products that are available. the major difference between a reciprocal and the Indy Pass is price and frequency, Indy Pass will start only $199 for two days at each resort whereas season passes average about $650. For core skiers, 2 days at their home resort doesn't cut it and that's why they buy a season pass. The Indy Pass will serve two markets: 1. casual non-season pass buyers who ski less than 6x/season (about 75% of participants) and 2. Hard core adventurers who want to explore and visit some of the most enjoyable hidden gens in North America. Obviously, the Pugski aficionados fall into #2! the other major difference between a reciprocal season pass and Indy Pass is that every visit generates revenue for that resort. 85% of all revenue gets paid back to the resorts based on redemptions whereas reciprocal pass visits in many cases are free.

Stay tuned to indyskipass.com for more updates. Announcements about Midwest, Eastern and more West cost resorts are coming soon!

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice adds to the Indy pass this week. I may end up buying a couple as stocking stuffers for friends

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bumping this not because the Indy Pass is up to a healthy 28 resorts, but because it now includes Magic Mountain in VT. A nice score!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As a reminder, here’s the current offer and resorts:
ON SALE SEPTEMBER 1
For $199 receive:

• Two free days at each partner resort in the US and Canada
  • Minimum of one additional discounted lift ticket
  • Discounted kids tickets (12 and under) when redeeming an adult ticket
  • Special offers from participating resorts for lodging, rentals, lessons and more
glyph.svg

Partner Resorts

IDAHO
Brundage Mountain
Silver Mountain

Washington
White Pass
Mission Ridge
49 Degrees North

OREGON
Hoodoo

CALIFORNIA
Mt. Shasta

MONTANA
Red Lodge Mountain
Lost Trail Powder Mountain

UTAH
Beaver Mountain

British Columbia
Apex Mountain Resort

Wisconsin
Little Switzerland
Nordic Mountain
Trollhaugen
Tyrol Basin

Michigan
Big Powderhorn Resort
Pine Mountain Resort

Vermont
Bolton Valley Resort
Magic Mountain

Massachusetts
Catamount Mountain Resort
Berkshire East Mountain Resort

Virginia
Massanutten Resort
Bryce Resort

North Carolina
Cataloochee Ski Area

Minnesota
Giants Ridge

New York
Greek Peak Mountain Resort

Pennsylvania
Blue Knob Resort

New Hampshire
Pats Peak

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Press Release:
October 1, 2019

MEDIA RELEASE

INDY PASS EXPANDS COALITION TO 44 INDEPENDENT RESORTS

88 days of skiing at more resorts than any other pass in North America for just $199

PORTLAND, OR -- Organizers of the Indy Pass announced that since launching in August ten new resorts have joined the coalition of independent resorts. Pass holders receive two days at 44 resorts - 88 days of skiing - for just $199. The pass now offers more resorts in North America than any other multi-mountain pass.

New resorts include:
Sunrise Park, AZ; Mohawk Mountain, CT; Caberfae Peaks, MI; Shanty Creek Resort, MI; Swiss Valley, MI; Cannonsburg, MI; Powder Ridge, MN; Terry Peak, SD; Shawnee Mountain, PA; Ober Gatlinburg, TN

“The Indy Pass is exactly what we were looking for—a collective season pass that combines great value and big opportunity for like-minded independent resorts like Schuss Mountain at Shanty Creek.” said Pete Bigford, GM at Shanty Creek Resort, MI

Indy Pass resorts are independently owned and provide affordable recreation and welcoming atmospheres for beginners and experts alike. Not only are lift tickets less expensive but lodging, lessons, and rentals are also value priced so families and individuals can enjoy more of their favorite winter sports. Less crowding on the slopes of these authentic and historic hills also makes for more time on the snow and less time in lift lines.

“In this era of corporate consolidation, having 44 resorts sign on

proves there’s demand for a new pass that represents these authentic, family-owned ski areas.” said Doug Fish, president of the Indy Pass. “Not only is the industry embracing the concept but consumers are as well. We’re seeing strong demand from a wide range of demographics like young families and occasional skiers to hardcore riders and retirees who want to explore some new mountains.”

With 14 resorts in the Upper Midwest and nine in the Northeast, skiers and riders in those regions now have an amazing selection of hidden gems to discover. The Pacific Northwest is another region with a high concentration of rugged independents that offer some of the best snow and terrain in North America.

If purchased before October 16th at IndySkiPass.com buyers can make three easy payments of just $66.33 and pay no interest.

Participating resorts for the 2019-2020 season are:

WESTERN REGION - 15

ALASKA - Eaglecrest Ski Area

ALBERTA - Castle Mountain Resort

ARIZONA - Sunrise Park Ski Area

BRITISH COLUMBIA - Apex Mountain Resort

CALIFORNIA - Mt. Shasta Ski Park

IDAHO - Brundage Mountain, Silver Mountain

OREGON - Hoodoo

MONTANA - Lost Trail Powder Mountain, Red Lodge Mountain

UTAH - Beaver Mountain

WASHINGTON - 49 Degrees North, Hurricane Ridge, Mission Ridge, White Pass

MIDWEST REGION - 14

MICHIGAN - Big Powderhorn Resort, Caberfae Peaks, Cannonsburg Ski Area, Pine Mountain Resort, Shanty Creek, Swiss Valley Ski Area

MINNESOTA - Giants Ridge, Spirit Mountain, Powder Ridge Mountain Park and Resort

SOUTH DAKOTA - Terry Peak Ski Area

WISCONSIN - Little Switzerland, Nordic Mountain, Trollhaugen, Tyrol Basin

EASTERN REGION - 15

CONNECTICUT - Mohawk Mountain Ski Area

MASSACHUSETTS - Berkshire East Mountain Resort, Catamount Mountain Resort*

NEW HAMPSHIRE - Pats Peak

NEW YORK - Catamount Mountain Resort*, Greek Peak Mountain Resort

NORTH CAROLINA - Cataloochee Ski Area

PENNSYLVANIA - Blue Knob Resort, Shawnee Mountain

TENNESSEE - Ober Gatlinburg Ski Area

VERMONT - Bolton Valley Resort, Magic Mountain, Suicide Six

VIRGINIA - Bryce Resort, Massanutten Resort

WEST VIRGINIA - Canaan Valley Ski Resort

*Catamount straddles NY/MA border

37 of 44 participating resorts offer UNRESTRICTED, season-long access. Five have holiday blackouts and two allow weekday-only access. See indyskipass.com for details.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another press release from Indy Pass
@Doug Fish

INDY PASS ADDS RESORTS IN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND MINNESOTA

PORTLAND, OREGON -- It was announced today that Black Mountain in New Hampshire and Detroit Mountain in Minnesota will join the Indy Pass for the 2019-20 season. Both resorts will offer two unrestricted free days giving pass holders access to 46 resorts and 92 days of skiing - more than any other multi-mountain pass - for $219.

John Fichera, GM said, "Black Mountain has stayed authentic and independent for 84 years so the Indy Pass is a great fit for us. The participating New England resorts are an impressive group that we are excited to collaborate with."

"Just in time for the holidays Indy Pass holders get a surprise gift of two bonus resorts, said Kris Blomback of New Hampshire's Pats Peak. "There's a lot of excitement for the Indy Pass among New England skiers and with Black Mountain coming on board the value is even greater."

Family owned and operated since 1935, Black Mountain in New Hampshire features a variety of terrain for all abilities, panoramic views of Mt. Washington, sunny south-facing slopes, and like all Indy Pass resorts, virtually non-existent lift tines.

Detroit Mountain is located one hour east of Fargo, North Dakota and features a true Minnesota-slopes experience with its family-oriented terrain, 2 terrain parks, and a designated learning area featuring Terrain Based Learning™.

"We're excited to be a part of the inaugural season of the Indy Pass, said Detroit Mountain GM, Jeff Staley. With five ski areas in our immediate region the value is extraordinary for Minnesota skiers."

Detroit Mountain joins a group four other Indy Pass resorts - Giants Ridge, Powder Ridge, Spirit Mountain and Trollhaugen - all located within three hours of Minneapolis /St. Paul, Minnesota.

The Indy Pass now offers two days at 46 ski areas in North America for a total of 92 days of free skiing for just $219. The price will increase to $239 on January 1, 2020.

Participating resorts for the 2019-2020 season are:

WESTERN REGION - 15
BRITISH COLUMBIA - Apex Mountain Resort
CALIFORNIA - Mt. Shasta Ski Park
IDAHO - Brundage Mountain, Silver Mountain
OREGON - Hoodoo
UTAH - Beaver Mountain

MIDWEST REGION - 15
MICHIGAN - Big Powderhorn Resort, Caberfae Peaks, Cannonsburg Ski Area, Pine Mountain Resort, Shanty Creek, Swiss Valley Ski Area
MINNESOTA - Giants Ridge, Spirit Mountain, Powder Ridge Mountain Park and Resort, Detroit Mountain
WISCONSIN - Little Switzerland, Nordic Mountain, Trollhaugen, Tyrol Basin

EASTERN REGION - 16
NEW HAMPSHIRE - Pats Peak, Black Mountain
WEST VIRGINIA - Canaan Valley Ski Resort

39 of 46 participating resorts offer UNRESTRICTED, season-long access. Five have holiday blackouts and two allow weekday-only access. See indyskipass.com for details.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great that they keep signing up more resorts! I can't wait to use my Indy Pass this season!

On the downside, my Indy Pass certificate from REI arrived today... a certificate and return label in a big cardboard box with lots of paper padding. The electronic passless pass model that Indy's using seems like a good approach, but its environmentally friendliness is undermined by all that packaging.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great that they keep signing up more resorts! I can't wait to use my Indy Pass this season!

On the downside, my Indy Pass certificate from REI arrived today... a certificate and return label in a big cardboard box with lots of paper padding. The electronic passless pass model that Indy's using seems like a good approach, but its environmentally friendliness is undermined by all that packaging.

Right?? All that for a piece of paper? I think REI is the entity that chose to do it that way. I'm sending then an email suggesting they simply deliver it via email. Stoked to hit as many Indy Pass resorts as possible. Pats Peak and Black MT are on my January list.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Glad to hear that Black Mountain in NH has been added. I didn't pick up an Indy Pass this year, but I will strongly consider doing so next year. 2 tickets each at Magic, Bolton, Black Mountain, and Berkshire East for around $200 is a pretty great deal. I also love the idea of complementing my Ikon Pass with tickets at smaller, independent resorts. I know that some people have strong preferences about skiing at large/affiliated resorts versus smaller/independent resorts, but I love both :)!

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
I planned out my 2020 trips before I learned about the Indy Pass, so I won't be a buyer this year. That said, this product looks awesome, and I hope it continues to be offered.

For someone like me who's based out of Minnesota and tired of Vail's lift lines, something like this is a legitimate contender. 2 days at Spirit Mountain, a day or two at Trollhaugen, and then a trip West to somewhere like Red Lodge makes a lot of sense. If Lutsen Mountain or another local hill was added, it'd almost be a no-brainer for someone in my situation.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just got an email from IndyPass saying Mt. Abram of Maine is on board. Nice little addition to their New England portfolio. May check it out next week.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've bookmarked this for next year. I'll be retiring at the end of the year, and will have more time than money, so the Eastern region resorts will definitely getting visits from me. I prefer the smaller, less traveled places. I can ski the whole season for less than two days at the big resorts.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
11 new resorts for the '20-'21 Indy Pass:
Buck Hill, MN
Cannon Mountain, NH
Crystal Mountain, MI
China Peak, CA
Granite Peak, WI
Lutsen Mountains, MN
Sasquatch Mountain, BC
Tamarack Resort, ID
Snow King, WY
White Pine, WY
Winterplace, WV

Some nice adds in here! Tamarack is very close to Brundage, which was already on the Indy Pass, which sets up a very nice little vacation destination at what have probably been the two least-crowded resorts with high-speed lifts in the US. Snow King is the resort right in Jackson, Wyoming (Jackson Hole is a little way out of town). White Pine seems like it is probably a cool little spot about halfway between SLC (or Beaver Mountain Utah, also on the Indy Pass) and Jackson. Anyone been there to comment on the skiing?

I've only had one trip to China Peak, and it was midweek following a massive cold & deep storm that hit just right. The skiing was absolutely fantastic. But from what I hear more typical conditions and weekend crowds aren't quite as fun up there.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is the official press release.
September 1, 2020

MEDIA RELEASE

11 NEW RESORTS AND DOZENS OF LODGING PARTNERS JOIN THE INDY REVOLUTION

With the Corona Virus forcing many skiers and riders to take close-to-home ski getaways and avoid large crowds, Indy Pass offers two days at 55 resorts for just $199 on sale now

Portland, Oregon - To kick off its second season, the Indy Pass announced today that eleven new resorts are joining the alliance along with dozens of independent lodging properties for the 2020-21 season.

New resorts include:

• Snow King Mountain, WY
  • Buck Hill Ski Area, MN
  • White Pine Ski Area, WY
  • Winterplace Ski Resort, WV
  • Cannon Mountain, NH
  • China Peak, CA
  • Crystal Mountain, MI
  • Granite Peak, WI
  • Lutsen Mountains, MN
  • Sasquatch Mountain, BC
  • Tamarack Resort, ID
“We are stoked to be joining the Indy Pass this season and look forward to welcoming passholders to ski and ride our Teton powder and experience the welcoming vibe of an authentic ski town,” said Ryan Stanley, GM at Snow King Mountain - Jackson, Wyoming.

2020-21 Pricing

Indy Pass

Adult - $199
Kids 12-and-under - $99
Peak Day Blackouts
Dec. 26-Jan. 3
Jan. 16-18, 23-24, 30-31
Feb. 6-7, 13-15
Resorts with Blackouts: Granite Peak, Lutsen Mountains, Mission Ridge, Silver Mountain

Indy+ (No Blackouts)

Adult - $299
Kids 12-and-under - $199

Indy Add-On Pass

Must be a full season pass holder at any Indy Pass resort
Indy Adult - $129
Indy Kid - $69
Indy+ $199
Indy+ Kid $149

Payment Plan
Make four payments of $49.75 if purchased by 9/16

Group Discounts
Buy ten and get one pass free for your team, club, or group. Details atindyskipass.com/pricing.

Independent Lodging Partner Discounts

A recent survey of Indy Pass holders showed that 80% used their pass for an overnight trip in 2019-20. With this in mind, a new lodging section has launched on the Indy Pass website that features only independently-owned lodging properties that are operated by partner resorts or their affiliates in nearby ski towns. Indy Pass holders will receive a minimum 10% discount on stays. Lodging properties who qualify and wish to receive a free listing may contact the Indy Pass at [email protected].

“Providing easy access to independent lodging facilities across the U.S. adds a lot of value for passholders. We look forward to welcoming skiers to enjoy safe and comfortable getaways during this season,” said Wes Kryger, President, Greek Peak Mountain Resort, NY.

"The Get America Skiing Promise"

With COVID-19 creating uncertainty and economic hardship, the "Get America Skiing Promise" has been devised to help people buy with confidence while supporting North America’s independent ski areas.

Receive an automatic credit towards a 2021-22 pass if you use your Indy Pass less than four days - no questions asked.

• Zero days skied = 80% credit
  • One day = 60% credit
  • Two days = 40% credit
  • Three days = 20% credit
"There's no fine print or complicated formulas with the Get America Skiing Promise,” said Geoff Hatheway, owner of Magic Mountain, Vermont. “It is a straightforward, no-BS reassurance for skiers and riders to go Indy this winter!"

Participating resorts for the 2020-21 season are:

WESTERN REGION - 20

BRITISH COLUMBIA - Apex Mountain Resort, Sasquatch Mountain

CALIFORNIA - China Peak, Mt. Shasta Ski Park

IDAHO - Brundage Mountain, Silver Mountain, Tamarack Resort

OREGON - Hoodoo

UTAH - Beaver Mountain

WYOMING - Snow King Mountain, White Pine Ski Area

MIDWEST REGION - 17

MICHIGAN - Big Powderhorn Resort, Caberfae Peaks, Crystal Mountain, Pine Mountain Resort, Shanty Creek, Swiss Valley Ski Area

MINNESOTA - Lutsen Mountains, Spirit Mountain, Powder Ridge Winter Recreation,Detroit Mountain, Buck Hill

WISCONSIN - Granite Peak, Little Switzerland, Nordic Mountain, Trollhaugen, Tyrol Basin

EASTERN REGION - 18

NEW HAMPSHIRE - Cannon Mountain, Pats Peak, Black Mountain

WEST VIRGINIA - Canaan Valley Ski Resort, Winterplace Ski Resort