• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Doug from Snowvana out of Portland has been working on a ski pass that will include the small ski hills that some of us would consider hidden gems.
I'm not sure what the final list of resorts will be but this is going to be an interesting one to watch as it unfolds.
See their Facebook page here.
https://www.facebook.com/indyskipass/
50099091_363300197833890_1304967023377252352_n.jpg

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Doug Fish is a pioneer. He's been giving away a few Snowvana passes (Timberline, Skibowl, Meadows, Bachelor) for the past 3 years at the Snowvana event. Wonderful that he's proposing being able to buy a similar pass in the future.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Doug Fish is a pioneer. He's been giving away a few Snowvana passes (Timberline, Skibowl, Meadows, Bachelor) for the past 3 years at the Snowvana event. Wonderful that he's proposing being able to buy a similar pass in the future.
We met with Doug when he was in Tahoe talking to Homewood.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have been talking about this since the Ikon pass was introduced, the idea of a third pass. @David Chaus did a comprehensive report on the western Indies HERE and @Jim Kenney did one for the eastern ones HERE.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting...wonder how this will differ from Powder Alliance.

ETA: Or the Eastern centric Freedom Pass, which if it joined forces with Powder Alliance, would be super awesome.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would love to see a BC pass, or at least an Okanagan pass (Sun Peaks, Silver Star, Big White and Apex). Throw Whitewater and Red Mt in there, add Schweitzer to make me even happier. Indy nirvana.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Peak Pass somewhat follows this idea (Mount Snow, Attitash, Wildcat, Crotched, Hunter, Jack Frost, Big Boulder, Liberty, Whitetail, Roundtop, Boston Mills, Brandywine, Alpine Valley, Mad River, Hidden Valley, Snow Creek, Paoli Peaks...) by offering mostly small/mid-sized, local/regional options in contract to Vail's or Alterra's offering.

This has been talked about for years, at least in the Northeast. With over 470 ski resorts in operation across the US in 2017, one would expect that these types of passes / alliances / joint ventures would be created. But, it seems more difficult to get a bunch of mountains to agree on something than it is to get a bunch of cats to stand in a straight line.

Last edited:

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Peak Pass somewhat follows this idea (Mount Snow, Attitash, Wildcat, Crotched, Hunter, Jack Frost, Big Boulder, Liberty, Whitetail, Roundtop, Boston Mills, Brandywine, Alpine Valley, Mad River, Hidden Valley, Snow Creek, Paoli Peaks...

PEAK pass resorts are all under common ownership or management. Not unlike VR or Alterra in a significantly scaled down form. A pass of truly independent resorts would be more like The Freedom Pass.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I see this as being more regional. what makes the Ikon and Epic so popular is that they include destination resorts. While say, Mt. Rose, Diamond Peak and Homewood are quaint areas, they are not the draw a Heavenly, Squaw and even Northstar are on a national scale. If the Indy Pass included say a Jack Frost/big Boulder or a Elk...these smaller areas are not the draw to get that skier to come west. Now it is it was a Mountain Collective type arraingment, and they got two days at each...there is little risk and all upside. Should be interesting.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny for smaller resorts that are going up against the Epics and Ikons...I hear two conflicting reports from a local area, one said the passes were significantly down..the other said they were up significantly.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
PEAK pass resorts are all under common ownership or management. Not unlike VR or Alterra in a significantly scaled down form. A pass of truly independent resorts would be more like The Freedom Pass.

Yes, I know that - all the Peak resorts are owned by the same owner. It was the type of resorts I was referring to that make the Peak Pass more similar to an indy-type pass than say the type of resorts that Vail or Alterra include in their passes. The Peak Pass has an average trail count of 25-30 trails across the 17 resorts. Vail and Alterra likely average 100 or more trails.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At first blush, I loved this idea. Then second thought... what is one of the reasons we love indy ski areas? The lack of crowds and the preservation of snow due to the lack of crowds. It is a fine line between wanting the areas to survive and thrive and having them overrun. Selfish, I know but it's doubtful you could get this...
63629-f99d7516d991daf6422d37288e4578a8.jpg
at two in the afternoon at an Ikon or Epic resort, even an "indy" one like A Basin.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I see this as being more regional. what makes the Ikon and Epic so popular is that they include destination resorts. While say, Mt. Rose, Diamond Peak and Homewood are quaint areas, they are not the draw a Heavenly, Squaw and even Northstar are on a national scale. If the Indy Pass included say a Jack Frost/big Boulder or a Elk...these smaller areas are not the draw to get that skier to come west. Now it is it was a Mountain Collective type arrangement, and they got two days at each...there is little risk and all upside. Should be interesting.

I certainly think there is room for more pass products and Phil may have hit on something here. I really like the Freedom pass concept in the east and the Ski the Gems concept in Colorado. (you mention the Tahoe areas, do they have some reciprical agreements? Washington state? any other region?) If these regions could somehow get together, maybe even offer some sort of a designer pass where you could combine regions and get some travelers. Most of these places are what I consider mid size resorts and they wouldn't so much take away from the Epic's and Ikon's but offer alternatives.

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
Targhee already has partnerships with Powder Mountain, Homewood. Diamond peak with a bunch of places like Brundage, White Fish, Beaver Mountain. I'd really like to see a pass that offers unlimited skiing instead of restricted days that come with passes from these indy resorts. The one-resort pass could be priced lower and the unlimited unrestricted could be similarly priced to the Epic (~$899). I'd gladly sign up for a pass like that for $1k if it doesn't restrict the holidays and number of days. I hope these resorts can work out the revenue sharing to enable that. I don't like the limited days arrangement of Mountain Collective and Ikon. Or the super restrictive arrangement of Powder alliance. Let's hope there is a good alternative to Epic pass.

James

Out There
Instructor
At first blush, I loved this idea. Then second thought... what is one of the reasons we love indy ski areas? The lack of crowds and the preservation of snow due to the lack of crowds. It is a fine line between wanting the areas to survive and thrive and having them overrun. Selfish, I know but it's doubtful you could get this...
at two in the afternoon at an Ikon or Epic resort, even an "indy" one like A Basin.
Nope, you'd have a pack of 40 something bros showing you how it's done.

Doug Fish

In the Trees
Skier
Tricia,
Thanks for the "Pug Plug" for Indy Pass. We had a great launch this week at the Western NSAA Conference at Snowbird and are excited to invite authentic, independent resorts to join the Indy Revolution! Unlike the many affiliate programs that offer free ski days to season pass holders, the Indy Pass is a revenue generator for its partner resorts much like the Mountain Collective pass. 85% of all pass revenue is returned to partner resorts based on redemptions AND 9% goes back into marketing for the following season. Keep an eye out for more updates as we build momentum for our September consumer launch.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia,
Thanks for the "Pug Plug" for Indy Pass. We had a great launch this week at the Western NSAA Conference at Snowbird and are excited to invite authentic, independent resorts to join the Indy Revolution! Unlike the many affiliate programs that offer free ski days to season pass holders, the Indy Pass is a revenue generator for its partner resorts much like the Mountain Collective pass. 85% of all pass revenue is returned to partner resorts based on redemptions AND 9% goes back into marketing for the following season. Keep an eye out for more updates as we build momentum for our September consumer launch.
Thanks for joining the discussion. I hope that you'll glean from some of the information the Pugski members will offer you. Its going to be interesting to see this unfold.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tricia,

Sounds promising, and thank you for your efforts in promoting independent ski areas. I hope that the promised updates will include price and destination info well before September. Epic and Ikon are both into their higher price tiers by then. Same with many of the season passes that are part of Powder Alliance. Looking forward to learning more about your product!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Tricia,

Best wishes for a very cool project. PugSki draws a lot of long time snowsports people with great fondness for smaller independent ski areas. That's where most of us started and I think we all hope there is enough love to go around the sport to keep the smaller areas thriving. The big guys will be in serious long term trouble if the "feeder" hills go away.

It will be interesting to see how your product fits in the market. Some of the affiliate programs offered by smaller ski areas are pretty astounding. Here are some of the benefits you get with a season pass from Monarch Ski Area in Colorado:

Copper Mountain, CO 3 Free Days
Loveland, CO 3 Free Days
Ski Cooper, CO 3 Free Days
Purgatory, CO 3 Free Days
Hesperus, CO 3 Free Days
Silverton, CO 1 Unguided Day*
Powderhorn, CO Unlimited 1/2 Price Days
Sunlight, CO 3 Free Days
Snowbowl (AZ) 3 Free Days
Brundage (ID) new! 3 Free Days
Sipapu (NM) 3 Free Days
Pajarito (NM) 3 Free Days
Red River (NM) 3 Free Days
Ski Apache (NM) 3 Free Days
Angel Fire (NM) 3 Free Days
Nordic Valley (UT) 3 Free Days
Grand Targhee (WY) Free Skiing with Lodging*
Snow King (WY) 3 Free Days
Masella (Spain) 3 Free Days
5-Berge (Germany) 3 Free Days
*certain restrictions apply. Call for details.

powder alliance partners

China Peak (CA) 3 Free Days*
Mountain High (CA) 3 Free Days*
Sierra at Tahoe (CA) 3 Free Days*
Sugar Bowl (CA) 3 Free Days*
Bogus Basin (ID) 3 Free Days*
Schweitzer (ID) 3 Free Days*
Bridger Bowl (MT) 3 Free Days*
Mt. Hood Ski Bowl (OR) 3 Free Days*
Timberline (OR) 3 Free Days*
Stevens Pass (WA) 3 Free Days*
Castle Mountain (Canada AB) 3 Free Days*
Marmot Basin (Canada AB) 3 Free Days*
SilverStar (Canada BC) 3 Free Days*
White Water (Canada BC) 3 Free Days*
La Parva (Chile) 3 Free Days*
Kiroro (Japan) 3 Free Days*
*Monarch season pass holders get 3 tickets per season at each Powder Alliance mountain. Tickets are FREE midweek (Monday – Friday) and 50% off weekends at each of the new 16 resorts. There are holiday blackouts at each mountain. Limit one ticket per pass holder per day. Tickets are non-transferable, non-refundable, and not redeemable for cash. For more information, visit powderalliance.com.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Indypass FB just posted pics from Baker, White Pass and Mission Ridge. I like where this is going.

Sponsor