• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Didn't know that about Owl's Head. They will be at the ski show on the weekend. Have to make sure I stop and chat. Did they sell the electrical company too? The owner was one of the few companies that could set up the substations etc for developments. I remember seeing their trailers as Tremblant got going. Can't remember either name. But I do remember getting to Owl's Head very late to be met by the owner reading the Ontario Building Code one Friday night.

Ah...Fred Korman (Korman's Dive) his wife Lily (Lily's leap).

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Just read in the news Le Massif is building a club med with crapton of government money after getting the local government to change law so they could mow down 20 football field sized old growth forest.

Might change the vibe a bit.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Just read in the news Le Massif is building a club med with crapton of government money after getting the local government to change law so they could mow down 20 football field sized old growth forest.

Just about any and every ski resort expansion involves cutting down trees so nothing new here, but seeing how this is in Canada, are those 20 football field sized cut blocks (new ski runs) American football or larger Canadian football sized fields?:duck:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

If that's distributed across narrow trails / glades, great. I LOVE Le Massif the way it is. The last thing any eastern area needs is more big open runs. They did that at Sunday River and Sugarloaf when "western-style" fall-line runs were all the rage and IMHO it doesn't work except in extreme moderation. Too much wintertime wind exposure and summertime erosion.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier

Just about any and every ski resort expansion involves cutting down trees so nothing new here, but seeing how this is in Canada, are those 20 football field sized cut blocks (new ski runs) American football or larger Canadian football sized fields?:duck:

If that's distributed across narrow trails / glades, great. I LOVE Le Massif the way it is. The last thing any eastern area needs is more big open runs. They did that at Sunday River and Sugarloaf when "western-style" fall-line runs were all the rage and IMHO it doesn't work except in extreme moderation. Too much wintertime wind exposure and summertime erosion.

It seems like the clearcutting at the base for a new hotel is a go, but cutting for new skiing is on hold ... https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/trees-cut-down-quebec-1.4855907

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
To round out the Connecticut locations, in addition to Sundown there's Mt. Southington, just south of Hartford, which hosts most of the surrounding high school races. Powder Ridge, a few miles east, has struggled over the past few years and Mohawk Mountain which is still owned by the Schoenknecht family of Mount Snow's Walt Schoenknecht fame.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
To round out the Connecticut locations, in addition to Sundown there's Mt. Southington, just south of Hartford, which hosts most of the surrounding high school races. Powder Ridge, a few miles east, has struggled over the past few years and Mohawk Mountain which is still owned by the Schoenknecht family of Mount Snow's Walt Schoenknecht fame.

Hey, don't forget Woodbury!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Black Mountain of Maine (not to be confused with Black Mountain, NH) is located about 45 mi from the town of Gorham, just north of Wildcat ski area (part of Peak Resorts); the two mountains could easily be combined on a visit to the Mt Washington region. I have never skied at Black Mountain of Maine, but I've always heard good things about its advanced terrain (1,380 ft vertical, 50 trails and glades).

Jim may have meant to say meant to say was something more like this:

Black Mountain, NH is located in the town of Jackson, about 20 minutes south of Wildcat ski area. You can actually ski down the south side of Wildcat to Black on touring gear. The two mountains could easily be combined on a visit to the Mt Washington region. I have never skied at Black Mountain of Maine (not to be confused with Black Mountain, NH), but I've always heard good things about its advanced terrain (1,380 ft vertical, 50 trails and glades).

Edit: Oh never mind. I get what he was saying now. He was saying that Gorham was just north of Wildcat, not that Black Mt. was just north of Wildcat. Doh. Sorry. I didn't absorb the syntax.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Yeah I should've clarified that clear cutting is for the new resort. Think of all the extra people it's going to dump on the slope, probably high percentage of clueless Chinese tourists consider club med is now a Chinese company.

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Edit: Oh never mind. I get what he was saying now. Sorry. I didn't absorb the syntax.

Did you know bad syntax can warm your brain like a baklava:)

types-of-headaches-migraine-hypertension-stress-syntax-error-syntax-error-29040775.png

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec

I didn't realize that it had been sold. Laliberte must have needed the money for his moon shot.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I could see a thread based on IndySkiPass road trips.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
As far as I know, all the NC resorts.. Appalachian, Beech, Sugar, Cataloochee, Wolf Creek, Saphire are mom and pop independents. Downside is that there isn't any multi resort pass available for any of them.