• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Indiana state trooper lauded as 'hero' for pulling over 'slowpoke' driver

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
An Indiana state trooper’s tweet reminding people about the state’s so-called “slowpoke” or “move over” law went viral Saturday.

Sgt. Stephen Wheeles, an Indiana State Police Public Information Officer for the Versailles District, posted a photo of a car he pulled over for violating a law that went into effect in 2015 – going too slow in the left lane on the highway if a vehicle behind you is going faster, FOX 59 reported.

“I stopped this vehicle today for a left lane violation on I-65. The driver had approximately 20 cars slowed behind her because she would not move back to the right lane.” Wheeles wrote. “Again...if there are vehicles behind you, you must move to the right lane to allow them to pass.”
Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 12.36.40 PM.png

Full Story HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Left lane huggers annoy me. I see many people just treating the passing lane like the travel lane going at the speed limit or under it. They seem oblivious to anyone being in back of them or that there's space in the travel lane next to them for them to move over. I'm glad to see this is a law in places. May this law spread to all the states.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Most accidents are the result of that and people passing on the right lane and then switching back to the left. In snowy conditions that is even more the case as we saw in a video posted here earlier in the season of a pick up truck on i70 passing using the right lane a passenger van that was on the left then switching quickly to the left lane.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Left lane huggers annoy me. I see many people just treating the passing lane like the travel lane going at the speed limit or under it. They seem oblivious to anyone being in back of them or that there's space in the travel lane next to them for them to move over. I'm glad to see this is a law in places. May this law spread to all the states.
What I like about this, is the officer also talks about the "spirit of the law". Yes, the speed limit might be 65 MPH, you could be in the left lane going that speed but if someone comes up behind you doing 70, you need to move right even though that person is technically speeding.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
What I like about this, is the officer also talks about the "spirit of the law". Yes, the speed limit might be 65 MPH, you could be in the left lane going that speed but if someone comes up behind you doing 70, you need to move right even though that person is technically speeding.
It's law here that if there are two lanes (or more), the slower moving traffic must be in the right lane. it's rarely enforced but at least, generally, most people who get driving lessons and take the driving test at least are aware of what behaviour is acceptable. We also have wiggle room with something called "the flow of traffic".

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Does Indiana doesn't have a "prevailing conditions" clause where the cop can ticket someone doing the speed limit in a blizzard or ice storm? If not, they should.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Last night on my way back from Montebello ROCKFEST!!!!! ( http://www.montebellorockfest.com/en/ ), I was reminded of how bad a few northern Ontario drivers can be, driving way over the speed limit any time they ran of risk of being passed and braking way below the speed limit anytime it was not save to pass them. A couple of times I was two or three cars behind one these adzholes. The drivers in front of me were doing the old accelerate and brake thing, stuck behind one of these assholes, and they didn't want to waste the gas (or they had an under-powered car) to pass them when a limited (short stretch of dotted line, with oncoming but distant traffic) opportunity arose.

I'll neither confirm nor deny that I did double the speed limit to put them behind me.

PS 30 mph over the limit here could mean car impoundment, a $10,000 speeding ticket and immediate roadside one week driving suspension, which does make it a little bit more risky to pass these MFs. (if you saw Prophets of Rage, you know what MF stands for)

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's law here that if there are two lanes (or more), the slower moving traffic must be in the right lane. it's rarely enforced but at least, generally, most people who get driving lessons and take the driving test at least are aware of what behaviour is acceptable. We also have wiggle room with something called "the flow of traffic".

It may be the instructors are the problem. My niece was told she could drive in whatever lane she felt most comfortable in. The instructor was of an ethnic origin that is not generally well known for their driving skills.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
In Upstate NY, speed enforcement is a total revenue scam. Speeding fines are shared between the towns and the state, so the town judges all plead you down to a parking ticket so that the town gets all the money. Then they make you go to defensive driving course, which private businesses are run by their buddies. At least I don't need to worry about losing my license for speeding. Thank you, Mario Cuomo.

The last time they sent me to defensive driving, the guy started by saying he was a retired justice of the peace who ran a traffic court in a little town on the thruway. I figured right away he owned me at least $900. Then he told us NEVER exceed the speed limit, and ALWAYS get into the left lane as soon as you can, because all those speeding maniacs will pass you right and left if you don't.

FWIW I think in NY slow traffic must keep right, but you are not slow if you are driving the speed limit. That's the wrong answer, but it's still better than Seattle or Spokane, where slow in the left lane is a way of life.

dm

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Last night on my way back from Montebello ROCKFEST!!!!! ( http://www.montebellorockfest.com/en/ ), I was reminded of how bad a few northern Ontario drivers can be, driving way over the speed limit any time they ran of risk of being passed and braking way below the speed limit anytime it was not save to pass them. A couple of times I was two or three cars behind one these adzholes. The drivers in front of me were doing the old accelerate and brake thing, stuck behind one of these assholes, and they didn't want to waste the gas (or they had an under-powered car) to pass them when a limited (short stretch of dotted line, with oncoming but distant traffic) opportunity arose.

I'll neither confirm nor deny that I did double the speed limit to put them behind me.

PS 30 mph over the limit here could mean car impoundment, a $10,000 speeding ticket and immediate roadside one week driving suspension, which does make it a little bit more risky to pass these MFs. (if you saw Prophets of Rage, you know what MF stands for)

In Ontario, you can pass in whatever lane you want to, unlike Quebec.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
If you drive slow in the left lane in Germany, you risk being rammed off the road by the big Benz coming at you at 120mph. They do not take kindly to doddling in the left hand lane over there. It should be the same here. Glad to see some states are starting to enforce that law.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You generally get dinged here AFTER the fact..driving too fast for conditions...

So long as the language of the law here is neutral with regards to what correction prevailing conditions mandate; it could be construed to apply to high speed fast traffic. Precedent, anyone?

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
In NJ, failure to yield is 2 points and not keeping to the right is another 2 points for a potential 4 point ticket. Both are unrelated to speeding. Getting caught 15mph over the speed limit is 4 points. Many moons ago, I talked my way out of 2 speeding tickets by pointing this out to the cop. I was let off with warnings both times.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
In Ontario, you can pass in whatever lane you want to, unlike Quebec.
Yes, but you have to go faster than the car you are passing. In northern Ontario, believe it or not, a large portion of the Trans-Canada Highway is only one lane in each direction, with an occasional extra lane for passing. Some people dawdle along below the limit until you reach an opportunity to safely pass them (sometimes a long straight with no one coming, but more often a passing lane), then they speed up to avoid being passed, when you are finally able to pass them. :nono:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
until you reach an opportunity to safely pass them (sometimes a long straight with no one coming, but more often a passing lane), then they speed up to avoid being passed, when you are finally able to pass them. :nono:

I'm sure there are some that just can't stand being passed. But when the same thing happens on twisty mountain roads I take a more charitable (but equally frustrating) view: They are genuinely freaked out by the road. When it temporarily widens or straightens, they relax and go faster.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Thought this cartoon is somewhat relevant to the topic.

Attachments

• W7dIDES.jpg
    W7dIDES.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 11