• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Increasing ski separation at bottom of turn.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Normal? A consequence of getting old and losing angulation above the hips? Work on getting rid of it or don't worry about it?

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
They're usually at least 3/4 hip width starting - on steeper terrain I find myself going to almost 2 hip widths at bottom.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just as a matter of geometry, if you keep your legs the same distance apart, the skis will be further apart on the snow when angles are larger.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
i'm guessing it's not the normal vertical separation. this would be a function of how big of an angle you're creating and the steepness of the slope.

...it could mean you have some weight on the inside ski which thus grabs... this is usually a self re-inforcing cycle: you step into the turn too wide, thus end up with some weight on the inside ski, which diverges even further.

Check the top of the turn. Are you moving the inside ski inside, too eagerly?

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Just as a matter of geometry, if you keep your legs the same distance apart, the skis will be further apart on the snow when angles are larger.

Well, yes, but in order for geometry to cause 3/4 to go to 2, the slope angle would have to be over 60 degrees.

...it could mean you have some weight on the inside ski which thus grabs... this is usually a self re-inforcing cycle: you step into the turn too wide, thus end up with some weight on the inside ski, which diverges even further.

Check the top of the turn. Are you moving the inside ski inside, too eagerly?

Possible - yes I think so. I've been thinking that I have pressure on it, but I've been thinking that I am also tip-digging (not neutral with that pressure). Would that make the syndrome worse?

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
True enough. I'll have to admit my stance width is far from disciplined, and sometimes all over the place. I'll pay attention to it this weekend and see if I have an opinion on whether it matters.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
basically your saying your tracks are narrower at the transition?

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
basically your saying your tracks are narrower at the transition?

like half of what they are exiting the fall line.

EDIT: It gets worse when I go to a shorter, more tapered ski. On my old (>27) D2 GS skis it's almost nonexistent.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah I wouldnt be to worried about it. My guess is it gets worse as the turn radius gets smaller.

the inside ski has to take a tighter/straighter path or skid. Looking at the tracks of tons of high end skiers including most of the really good older MMSC kids on the hill there has to be a divergence to convergence if both skis are going to carve a path, especially in their SL turns. If one ski is ski is going to skid then they could be equal.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's a balance thing, as time goes on (not an age thing) perception changes and must be reset so to speak to zero. Few skiers actually check how their balance is (except maybe a few very good instructors in the course of their work or intentionally). Remember we are not machines with a perfect memory, but human that adapt (unfortunately change) with time.

For me I do some side slips and 360 spins at the beginning of the season and sometimes during the season. No matter the time between skiing be it one year, or several (or more as has happened) these drills reset the muscle memory to zero as they are simple and the same.

This helps set all other actions from a reference point.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Are you tensing the outside leg to resist the forces of the turns? Are you trying to shape turns with the outside leg knee joint closing?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It sounds like your outside ski may be diverging as you finish your turn. Would this describe what is happening?

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It sounds like your outside ski may be diverging as you finish your turn. Would this describe what is happening?

No, I don't think so - it's more like in order to avoid scrape skidding I'm doing an inline-skate-type-double-push and when I get ready to almost commit to the wide-set short leg I switch and go the other way- does that make sense?

I'm willing to believe it's a defensive move; I'm willing to believe my front/back balance is off when one leg is dominant; it certainly is a move I do to avoid skidding and scraping - beyond that :huh:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Not much. :) But I'm busy working and just trying to distract myself between tasks by posting here.