• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada In Tahoe, avalanches pit residents against ski resorts (S.F. Chronicle)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hmmm. Feels a bit overly whiney about something that probably makes the properties and the road they travel on more secure. Gazex is standard in Europe although admittedly people don't generally build houses so close to the avy prone ridges they are located on.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Homeowners that built and moved into homes below known avalanche areas of a much older world class ski resort. Sort of the same type of complaining by people living in communities below airport takeoff and landing lanes that were built long after airports were there as though they didn't know what they were buying.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The way Alpine's terrain is shaped can certainly make for quite a blast if something goes off as you're entering the parking lot area, so I could see the complaint if, for instance, that house 700 feet away from a Gazex isn't actually in the slide path. I've also heard enough reports that Gazexes are significantly louder than a bomb going off right on top of the snow to believe that.

On the other hand, indeed, if you're buying one of these houses, the noise and disturbance should more or less be expected.

It would definitely help if the post (article?) was shorter and to the point. (I started skimming after the first few paragraphs and didn't make it too much farther.) It's ultimately trying to garner sympathy (else, why write it?) for owners of some pretty prime real-estate. Most reading would likely gladly switch places with any one of these homeowners, even given the negatives.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This reminds me in some ways of a neighbor to the park where I used to work. The park had been there since 1982. He moved in sometime in the mid to late 90s, maybe even early 2000s. He constantly harassed park staff, school bus drivers, Waste Management, and other county employees because of the traffic on the street to the park. His claim was the park had two other entrances and the street on which he lived was residential and should be closed off. We had to call the Sheriff on him more than once and finally had the Director write him to let him know to leave us alone. It didn't matter that his property value was higher because the park was there. I had it out with him more than once when I mentioned the people who complained about the airport etc.

Times change (i.e. Gazex, more traffic) and people need to understand that. There are houses behind me now but when we moved in the road was a dead end and we had direct access to Peavine Mountain. Now there are literally thousands of new houses around us. I'd rather it didn't change but I knew it would.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The property damage seems like a potential legitimate argument, if it's substantially different from what occurred under previous mitigation schemes, but otherwise I'd agree.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The property damage seems like a potential legitimate argument, if it's substantially different from what occurred under previous mitigation schemes, but otherwise I'd agree.

Depending on the damages. I have seen cracking drywall * grout joint in buildings nowhere near Gasex systems. Like couple thousand miles away kind of nowhere. :duck:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
They may have a case... I don't know how things work down there..but..I can see them having some success.

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
the detonations shatter the tranquility of mountain living

I want to see complains from residents that make minimum wage. Do they have any leverage? Or even knowledge of how to raise awareness? How much patrollers makes an hour? Do the patrollers have a house near by?

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If it actually is causing property damage, then they have a case. Otherwise, they should be grateful for the avalanche mitigation in their neighborhood.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And the hazard reduction for patrollers needs to be factored in also.

Frankly, I'm less than sympathetic. If they haven't already strengthened/reinforced their structures for the possible mountains of snow and rock slamming into them ( and thereby making them impervious to "loud noises", I fail to see their whiny issue.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Every standing house in alpine/squaw is pretty solidly built, for anything just to insulate for the weather,. Gazex is loud and rattles the windows, but close thunder or even the snow slough off the roof also rattle things just as much and is even louder. I have doubts the gazex is causing structural damage, given the standard of alpine/squaw housebuilds.
Much more likely was last year's historical snowload on roofs and the melt of that same snow shifting foundations. When it's obvious that historical snowyear ended actually wiped out a lot of physical structures, maybe...just perhaps...it was those same thousands of tons of snow that also shifted your house and not some moving air and soundwaves?...maybe?...hmm?

That being said, the gazex is directly responsible for a significant amount of dog-pee damage in random corners and closets. (personal knowledge: was in house in direct eyesight of a gazex).

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
...... When it's obvious that historical snowyear ended actually wiped out a lot of physical structures, maybe...just perhaps...it was those same thousands of tons of snow that also shifted your house and not some moving air and soundwaves?...maybe?...hmm?

Can't tell if serious :roflmao:

Sponsor