• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
how much do you want to spend and how picky are you.
if you want to start cheaper start with a pair of long underwear and a pair of scissors. should under $10.
if youre in the $80+ range perhaps consider the compression gear

i just picked this up at Costco to try out. it was $6.99.

15126699041431026443210.jpg

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
how much do you want to spend and how picky are you.
if you want to start cheaper start with a pair of long underwear and a pair of scissors. should under $10.
if youre in the $80+ range perhaps consider the compression gear

i just picked this up at Costco to try out. it was $6.99.

View attachment 34739

Are you cutting these bad boys up?

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I picked up those Costco bottoms, and uppers, last year and was pleasantly surprised. The are very thin and fine for average days and as a component in other layering for colder days. I may use up to three layers under shell pants for the really cold days. My "expedition weight" bottoms are, I believe, Patagucci, but not the precise model in the OP. They are more like skin tight. I do like them.

I think the question posed in the OP is difficult to answer. Clothing is such a personal thing, and we all generate different amounts of heat throughout the day. I have only settled on my current system after many years of buying and trying various combinations. For instance, I have settled on a zip up mock turtle neck for most days. Zipping the neck up or down is integral to my overall approach to staying comfortable, in combination with whether the other layers are zipped up or down. And I have some new shells, both top and bottom, that I'll be trying for the first time next week. Always tweaking.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I tend to wear Helly Hansen long undies; something like this: https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_us/hh-lifa-seamless-pant-48306 as a base layer. It's skin tight; I've never noticed a problem having it in my ski boots (oh, the horror).

Depending on how cold it is, I'll wear Patagonia Capilene 1 or 2 over that and just fold up the cuffs so that they're above my boot.

Seems to work for me...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I am looking for a base layer for days when its zero or so up tp 10F. I wear shells so I want something warm but not too warm.

Anyone wear Pati Thermal weight?http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-capilene-thermal-weight-boot-length-bottoms/43680.html

Also, the Arc Teryx Axino knicker look like they could be good but not sure if they are overkillhttps://www.backcountry.com/arc-teryx-axino-insulated-knicker-mens

I use a Patagonia R1 fleece pant tights, I dont think they sell them anymore thouugh. Works great. I dont like those down or synth insulation filled pants under a shell pant for skiing, they generally dont breathe well enough for activity unless its extremely cold (-10ºF?)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are you cutting these bad boys up?
yea. The longjohns go down to the ankles and i dont want to fold it back or accordian it up. these are cheap enough for my shoddy tailoring. Its not a big deal to me considering theres so much random stuff going on with the shell's powder cuffs and expedition lace clips and boot tops anyway.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am looking for a base layer for days when its zero or so up tp 10F. I wear shells so I want something warm but not too warm.

Anyone wear Pati Thermal weight?http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-capilene-thermal-weight-boot-length-bottoms/43680.html

Also, the Arc Teryx Axino knicker look like they could be good but not sure if they are overkillhttps://www.backcountry.com/arc-teryx-axino-insulated-knicker-mens

I have always just worn Patigucci Cap 2 for the coldest days here in NE...was usually warm enough with my old NF Freedom (non insulated) pants....

Now I have your IniCoop camos and a pair of FlyLow Iq’s.......so I assume the Cap 2 will still be my go to on the coldest days.

Just in case you wanted to know:)

-Wear CW-X insulated stabilyx 3/4 for normal weather.

-Wear UA Cold Gear compression shorts when it’s warm...:D

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If you're intrigued by the Patagonias and want to basically try them out on the cheap -- look around for ECWCS Gen III Level 2 Bottoms on amazon/ebay. They are military surplus and can be found for less than half the patagonia price. Similar or same Polartec Powergrid fabric.

Reactions: Ron

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
yea. The longjohns go down to the ankles and i dont want to fold it back or accordian it up. these are cheap enough for my shoddy tailoring. Its not a big deal to me considering theres so much random stuff going on with the shell's powder cuffs and expedition lace clips and boot tops anyway.

Seems like a good plan for $6.99. Paradox long johns at costco for that price are a great buy.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I use a Patagonia R1 fleece pant tights, I dont think they sell them anymore thouugh. Works great. I dont like those down or synth insulation filled pants under a shell pant for skiing, they generally dont breathe well enough for activity unless its extremely cold (-10ºF?)
I wore mine on Tuesday when the wind chill was WAY below zero. Toastyogsmile

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Polartec Power Stretch. Lots of companies make base layers out of it. Patagonia expedition weight was this stuff at one point, and may still be, for all I know. Anyway, it's super warm, super comfy, and wears well. Most of all, it's extremely versatile. Winter long johns become early spring cycling tights, etc. The outer face is hard so other garments slide over it easily. You can also layer under it for really cold days.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I ordered the Arc Teryx Axinos and will give them a try, As I posted, I really want something for 10* and colder days. The Axinos Are an interesting layering piece. . 65 grams of coreloft continuous and permair which is supposedly arc’s version of polartec Alpha No need to wear anything beneath and highLy breathable. I got them for 30% off Plus AJ

For regular skiing temps, I am wearing smart wool 250 3/4 pants. Gotta support the Home team.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When it's really cold, I go with thin, wool long johns, and wear stretch fleece tights over them. My seamstress wife modified the length so they stretch perfectly over my boots.

Cheap and cozy!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I wear two layers of light weight polyester tops and bottoms plus a fleece top and then a Goretex shell pants and jacket.

When it gets really cold weather I switch to a heavier weight 2nd layer and heavier fleece or wool top. I also have a light weight merino wool top that I can substitute for the 2nd layer instead of polyester.

Sponsor

Staff online