• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In Praise of Skiing the Blues (and Greens)

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was think 5 miles. Since you pull the senior card, I'll take 4-1/2 miles. The Great Green Dot to Hell at Killington fits the bill perfectly.

BTW, Andrew and I Used to ski that in a tuck three times after 3:30 pm.
On Monday towards the end of three days of skiing at Killington, we decided to lap the Skyeship Gondola on Great Eastern several times. No tuck, but no stopping, just glide and ski as efficiently as possible. Crowd was minimal so fun all in all. However, I did end my day on Panic Button/Needle's Eye (black/blue) before heading home. I think the green cruising helped calm down my turns on the steeper run.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On Sunday my wife realized she hadn't skied one groomer in 7 hours because she we were with a group of kids all day. She finished the day on Jester, a windy blue groomed trail.

On Monday after taking the last run on Rumble we took Toll Road. At the end I shot down the dip at the bottom of Lift Line and almost lost balance on the superslick connector run out.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like blue/green runs, with a qualification: They can't be cat tracks. I just can't get down with occasional poling/skating sections. When the red/black runs get skied out, and I get skied out, I'll look for a blue with a relatively short lift line and do laps until the end of the day, just focusing on the sensation of edging and working on skills.

rocdoc

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just love this. Seems to be lost on a surprising number of people. It’s not really an achievement that you managed to get down the steepest runs. Gravity will take you there one way or another, no great skill required. But show me a skier coming down gracefully, in full control, mastering every move - that’s what makes a good skier.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Last Thursday the last of a 3 day ski trip, I skied for the first time with an old ski club group that I had joined because their lodge is a rare bargain to overnight at. Like this person, many of those folks are seniors too or middle aged and over the previous couple days several had chatted with me at the lodge about my skiing background and what I had skied on those 2 days. Most were not surprised I had been skiing decades just as many older enthusiasts are, but were surprised when I quietly related I had spent most of those days enjoyably looping fall lines down a mogul slope below a long chair lift, so would be amused to see me do so. As several often ski as a group, and were going to meet up mid morning atop the mountain, I let them know I would join in with them for a run or two. When the group of about 10 folks met up, I found they would be skiing at a part of the resort I was unfamiliar with since the resort had greatly changed in the 2 decades or so since I last visited. Thus said I would lurk in the back following where they went.

This led to long route on green and blue road cut gradients to their area of interest as I also casually observed how individuals skied. Most were fine experienced skiers while others limited though all smiling having an enjoyable time. When I caught up, they had stopped on a road cut atop a steep mogul run where I found they expected I would prefer to ski down but were disappointed when I declined and said "No I'm here to have fun skiing with the group and quite enjoy skiing all manner of slopes." Of course I was aware only one or two might try following me down with the rest continuing on to the next slope off the road that was groomed. I knew they probably really didn't believe what I said and was just being kind.

So we all went a bit further to the groomed slope where they stopped at the top above a couple hundred feet vertical probably requiring a winch cat to groom. After the first person dropped, I skied down making unusually short, slow controlled turns, a ways down to where a few had pulled up. I admit to purposely showing off so because they would realize if I could ski so unusually like that obviously having fun playing on both the steep top groomed slope and the lower eased up blue gradient, that it was obvious why I could do so in a mogul field as well as enjoy any groomed slopes.

Historically, there has been a dominant mind set with our sport that as skiers reach higher levels of skills that they no longer have interest or adequately enjoy lower gradient slopes, especially groomed slopes. Indeed there are and have always been significant numbers of experienced skiers that greatly seek challenge, especially with the current bro culture, so treat groomed green and blue trails as boring sections useful only to race through to reach advanced slopes or the next lift. However it is also true, there are good numbers of we older experienced skiers that years before had found ways to enjoy all manner of slopes. And in fact, that is why many of us continue to ski into our middle ages when significant numbers of our peers have gradually dropped out of the sport. Challenge alone is less likely to sustain a long time interest in this incredible activity versus also finding ways of enjoying what is possibly fun on a wider range of slopes, snow, and weather conditions than most expect.

LakeTahoe1y.jpg

Last edited:

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
The blue runs in Taos don’t get enough appreciation but I love them. I’m not good enough to enjoy gnarly steeps and trees but love Taos’ blues and easy blacks. And the long blue runs in Purgatory, Wolf Creek, and Telluride - pure joy of gliding down the run, as some said, that isn’t trying to kill you

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I can and did ski all of it. I now really enjoy long blue runs and sometimes single diamond black runs that have been groomed. I am able to just relax and enjoy the run and scenery. I can ski the runs however I wish. Cruise them at speed or take it slow and just practice being in the moment without having to work too hard.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Last Thursday the last of a 3 day ski trip, I skied for the first time with an old ski club group that I had joined because their lodge is a rare bargain to overnight at. Like this person, many of those folks are seniors too or middle aged and over the previous couple days several had chatted with me at the lodge about my skiing background and what I had skied on those 2 days. Most were not surprised I had been skiing decades just as many older enthusiasts are, but were surprised when I quietly related I had spent most of those days enjoyably looping fall lines down a mogul slope below a long chair lift, so would be amused to see me do so. As several often ski as a group, and were going to meet up mid morning atop the mountain, I let them know I would join in with them for a run or two. When the group of about 10 folks met up, I found they would be skiing at a part of the resort I was unfamiliar with since the resort had greatly changed in the 2 decades or so since I last visited. Thus said I would lurk in the back following where they went.

This led to long route on green and blue road cut gradients to their area of interest as I also casually observed how individuals skied. Most were fine experienced skiers while others limited though all smiling having an enjoyable time. When I caught up, they had stopped on a road cut atop a steep mogul run where I found they expected I would prefer to ski down but were disappointed when I declined and said "No I'm here to have fun skiing with the group and quite enjoy skiing all manner of slopes." Of course I was aware only one or two might try following me down with the rest continuing on to the next slope off the road that was groomed. I knew they probably really didn't believe what I said and was just being kind.

So we all went a bit further to the groomed slope where they stopped at the top above a couple hundred feet vertical probably requiring a winch cat to groom. After the first person dropped, I skied down making unusually short, slow controlled turns, a ways down to where a few had pulled up. I admit to purposely showing off so because they would realize if I could ski so unusually like that obviously having fun playing on both the steep top groomed slope and the lower eased up blue gradient, that it was obvious why I could do so in a mogul field as well as enjoy any groomed slopes.

Historically, there has been a dominant mind set with our sport that as skiers reach higher levels of skills that they no longer have interest or adequately enjoy lower gradient slopes, especially groomed slopes. Indeed there are and have always been significant numbers of experienced skiers that greatly seek challenge, especially with the current bro culture, so treat groomed green and blue trails as boring sections useful only to race through to reach advanced slopes or the next lift. However it is also true, there are good numbers of we older experienced skiers that years before had found ways to enjoy all manner of slopes. And in fact, that is why many of us continue to ski into our middle ages when significant numbers of our peers have gradually dropped out of the sport. Challenge alone is less likely to sustain a long time interest in this incredible activity versus also finding ways of enjoying what is possibly fun on a wider range of slopes, snow, and weather conditions than most expect.

View attachment 91372
Very well said.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This would fit here. 5 miles. Looks like they could’ve gone further.
Saas Fe, Switzerland. Known for summer training skiing.

I want to like that twice. No crowds relaxing skiing, I don't think I can do it non-stop but it would be a great ride. Thanks for sharing.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
This would fit here. 5 miles. Looks like they could’ve gone further.
Saas Fe, Switzerland. Known for summer training skiing.

I am very intrigued by their knee braces. Fun to watch two skiers that good just out for a cruise.

James

Out There
Instructor
I don’t think thise guys would have a problem without the braces on that run. Plenty of relaxing zones, and no bumps.

Here’s the brace. In the comments they say your hamstrings work 10% more, but load on quads is lessened.

——————
a recent laboratory study by physiotherapy students showed that hamstrings were about 10% more used. Thus, by reducing the intensity of the quadriceps from 35 to 40% and increasing that of the hamstrings, the ratio between these muscles is greatly improved (27%) with the benefit of better protection of the anterior cruciate ligaments.
———————

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
The blue runs in Taos don’t get enough appreciation but I love them. I’m not good enough to enjoy gnarly steeps and trees but love Taos’ blues and easy blacks. And the long blue runs in Purgatory, Wolf Creek, and Telluride - pure joy of gliding down the run, as some said, that isn’t trying to kill you
I love the trails at Purgatory off lift 8. My avatar is one of those tails, Major Fun.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I don’t think thise guys would have a problem without the braces on that run. Plenty of relaxing zones, and no bumps.

Here’s the brace. In the comments they say your hamstrings work 10% more, but load on quads is lessened.

@James, thank you for the info.

SkiSVLikeAgassi

100% proud ski and tennis bum
Skier
If you want to gain a new appreciation for fast and exhilarating groomer blues, make it a point to visit SV. Even the greens here will make you reasses and question the average skier's approach and understanding of these color standards.

Amazing the amount of Ski Patrol "rescues"
I've seen this season on blue runs with visitors getting in over their heads...

Sponsor

Staff online