• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In Praise of Skiing the Blues (and Greens)

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
In Praise of Skiing the Blues (and Greens)

On ski forums, such as this one, many skiers favor diamond and beyond skiing. Not this skier. I enjoy the gentler currents of blues and greens. On blues and greens I am flowing with gravity. My body is singing in harmony with gravity's tune. Whereas on blacks I am often fighting gravity's stronger pull. The song is too raucous. I can't match the beat. I can't keep up with the tempo. The difficulties presented by ungroomed snow combined with a diamond's faster pitch are too much for my skills.

Do I envy skiers who rock and roll their way down diamond studded runs? Yes. Frankly, I do. I would love for the entire skiable mountain to be my playground. But the reality is that I cannot ski that well, that the limitations I am working with can't promise that level of skiing.

So yes, I am mostly a blue (and green) skier. For me those slopes play beautiful music with a danceable rhythm. For some, it seems, blue and green music is too tame. I get it. What is the saying? We all must ski to the beat of our own drummer? We all must ski to the rhythm inherent in our own skiing.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I’m in tune with OP’s song. I teach a lot on blues and greens. I’ve learned a lot about skiing by skiing on blues and greens that I probably would not have learned in more challenging settings.

But, to learn to ski tougher stuff, you must go there.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I will usually bounce around. many times it can be about conditions. What good is blk when all i got is boiler plate or popcorn rock hard crust? Im perfectly happy often enough with enough pitch to practice technique and if its where the better conditions are at Im all for it. And many times I find it cool to just cruise mellow like and enjoy the surroundings. As long as im on the skis its all good :)

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my favorite trails anywhere is Vermonter off the back of Jay Peak from the tram. Fantastic views and not that difficult but a lot of fun.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Some of my favorite runs are blue runs The pitch varies depending on which mountain but I just love a blue run, bumped up or not. When they are bumped up is more my preference nowadays as it hides the steepness for me and this eases my mind. Love a blue regardless. Even greens can be fun. Greens at lake louise in banff are steep so some places I'm all about the greens. As long as you have fun that's all that matters.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s all good. Dance your dance, sing your tune, breathe your own breath.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
You can rack up more vertical skiing greens and blues. Would hit 35-40K of vertical on a good Okemo day. At Killington I am doing good to get in 20-25K per day.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
In 7 days of skiing at the gathering at Big Sky this year the run that stands out was a long green off the Lone Moose lift called Little Calf. Several inches of fresh on a low angle, empty slope allowing easy, flowing big turns all the way to the bottom. So fun! Love the blues and greens.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree with just about everything in this thread! :golfclap:
I’d take blue and green runs all day long over running blacks all day. Other then pitch blacks generally have no personality. Love to cruise the rolling structure of blues.
Here, though, I'll disagree... I think you're just skiing the wrong black diamonds if that's your impression. There's a ton of character and personality out there to be experienced at all different challenge levels.

TS
Kent

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
While skiing green runs especially, but also frequently on blues, I am so comfortable that I am more likely to look around and soak in the scenery. Majestic views are one of the reasons I need to ski.

@Jim Kenney Thanks. Maybe some day we can take a run together.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In 7 days of skiing at the gathering at Big Sky this year the run that stands out was a long green off the Lone Moose lift called Little Calf. Several inches of fresh on a low angle, empty slope allowing easy, flowing big turns all the way to the bottom. So fun! Love the blues and greens.

I think I did that run with you Andy........ yep big carving GS and Super G turns. Doesn't get much better! Big Sky is great for that-wide blue runs with few people. The racer in me just opens it up-where's my Super G skis?

Sponsor