• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"In my neck of the woods" "Around here" "Where I live" -- How about an actual location?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
how about west of the flat bits ?
You realize, of course, that everyone in the east thinks that Kamloops in on the coast and that the Rocky Mountains extend from Alberta to the west coast. And I'm just talking about eastern Canadians. ogsmile

What? You mean they don't????

Last edited by a moderator:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you don't want to share your specific location, that's fine with me. But I get the feeling that a lot of people are being accidentally uninformative.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
However, lots of people are understandably sensitive about how much detail about their personal lives they put out on the open internet for any and all to see, including employers, insurers, trolls, exes, etc.
Especially those who use their real name. It’s too much information.

If you don't want to share your specific location, that's fine with me. But I get the feeling that a lot of people are being accidentally uninformative.
Some, perhaps. But not most.

I don’t give my location because I keep moving. It’s a drag to have to update it, or have it on the wrong location.

I generally don’t fill in ANY of the optional information on any registration. I’m an unconventional person. Some of those “information” doesn’t fit me as neatly as to the rest of the population.

Last edited:

crazycanuck

Getting on the lift
Skier
You realize, of course, that everyone in the east thinks that Kamloops in on the coast and that the Rocky Mountains extend from Alberta to the west coast. And I'm just talking about eastern Canadians. ogsmile

Ha! Certainly true for non-Skiers out east, but much less true for us hardcores.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
But your profile has no location. So if you make a post and say something like "It was great up here" ... then we have no idea where "up here" is. That's all I'm requesting is an actual location.

(Not to single you out, but you mentioned your profile....)
Literary poetic license trumps accuracy in this case. However, it's no secret I'm currently living in Sudbury On.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

As someone who grew up in Eastern Canada, I knew there were different mountain ranges running from western Alberta to the west coast, but in my mind they were all just the mountains. Granted I could see that the Rocky ones were more "rocky" and jagged when flying over them, but to me differentiating between which mountains were "Rocky Mountains", and which were something else was splitting hairs.

crazycanuck

Getting on the lift
Skier
As someone who grew up in Eastern Canada, I knew there were different mountain ranges running from western Alberta to the west coast, but in my mind they were all just the mountains. Granted I could see that the Rocky ones were more "rocky" and jagged when flying over them, but to me differentiating between which mountains were "Rocky Mountains", and which were something else was splitting hairs.

And on the flip side, those of us the "true" east are always amused when people in the west think Ontario is the "east". ;-)

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
And on the flip side, those of us the "true" east are always amused when people in the west think Ontario is the "east". ;-)
It can be interpreted in many different ways. :doh:

First, Ontario is “east“ of the Rockies.

Next, is Quebec still part of Canada?

Last, is the Maritimes actually land?

:roflmao:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
And in the US Easterners think of Utah and Colorado as being on the West Coast. The trials we have to live through...

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Most eastern Canadians don't know and don't much care what goes on west of the Rockies and that is why I am starting a campaign: #De-Fund Ottawa. :duck:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Most eastern Canadians don't know and don't much care what goes on west of the Rockies and that is why I am starting a campaign: #De-Fund Ottawa.
Is that because most Eastern Canadians are still trying to figure out if Quebec is even part of Canada?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have to agree with the OP because I have read some posts and wondered what ski area are they talking about. I am sure no one is looking for anyone's home address, but the ski area and maybe the state would be helpful when looking for a snow report. The reason I added state is because I think a few ski area names are duplicate. I know there is a Blue Mountain in PA but I think there is one in Canada as well.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so let’s maybe bring this topic up again at the start of the ski season. In December or January I’ll probably have trouble recalling that Ontario is in fact on the east coast of Canada.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
For those of you who skipped geography class:;)
"Coast" is the part of land next to the sea or ocean, the edge of the land there. Ontario is in eastern Canada, but is nowhere near the east coast. Just like Alberta is in western Canada but is nowhere near the west coast. Lakes and rivers don't count.
In the USA the Mississippi River is generally accepted as the point between east and west. Not sure what that point would be for Canada. When I say something is in the west it means west of the Mississippi no necessarily on the coast.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
When you drive out of the bush somewhere West of the Ontario border near Steinbach Manitoba (home of Ian White..) that's the dividing line.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For those of you who skipped geography class:;)
"Coast" is the part of land next to the sea or ocean, the edge of the land there. Ontario is in eastern Canada, but is nowhere near the east coast. Just like Alberta is in western Canada but is nowhere near the west coast. Lakes and rivers don't count.
I was using self-deprecating humour. I probably should’ve used an emoji to signify I was joking.

Sponsor