• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"In my neck of the woods" "Around here" "Where I live" -- How about an actual location?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Posaune

sliding
Skier
People say it like the name "Al" (most of us) but some say it like the word "all." I've lived here my whole life, so it seems odd that people have problems with it.
Puyallup = pew-al-up

Just don't ask me to spell it. I had to look it up.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
People say it like the name "Al" (most of us) but some say it like the word "all." I've lived here my whole life, so it seems odd that people have problems with it.
Puyallup = pew-al-up

My friend and I scratched our heads over it for a while... "Puy" is an odd letter combo, and where the accent is isn't clear. We thought maybe it could be POY-uh-lup, or poy-ALL-up, or puh-YALL-up, or PIE-a-lup. Lots of options.

The "pew" part wasn't obvious... I think when we asked, someone said "pew-ALL-up", but they might have said "pew-AL-up".

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
then there is the town of Skwxwu7mesh, (plus a few additional accents)
since 2010 we have been debating the correct pronunciation of a 7 after wu ?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
then there is the town of Skwxwu7mesh, (plus a few additional accents)
since 2010 we have been debating the correct pronunciation of a 7 after wu ?
That's a crazy one, but not much beats the Welsh town of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, and this meteorologist pronouncing it:

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
If anyone clicks on my "Location" here is where it really is...come' on over...
20210817_175210.jpg

In the trees, just above wiper blades :)
20210817_172550.jpg

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Another hard to pronounce place. Yes, the kayaking is good here on the Columbia river. (Try also to pronounce the county name).

Skamokawa (/skʌˈmɑːkəˌweɪ/) is an unincorporated community in Wahkiakum County, Washington, United States. Skamokawa is a Chinook term for smoke or fog on the water.[2]

Skamokawa rests on the banks of the Columbia River, and on WA 4. The town includes a post office, restaurant, and general store, along with a nearby historical museum and covered bridge. It is a local center for kayaking and fishing.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Puyallup = pew-al-up

Washington is a little tough on new newscasters and the local names.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Even though I am in Victoria B.C., I am southwest of Bellingham and get all the Bellingham and Seattle TV and radio broadcasts. I have only heard it pronounced as Pew-Al-Up.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Puyallup = pew-al-up

I only joined this conversation because of using the name Al but my confusion is when you purchase something it is called a Buy, but Puy in this case is = to Pew that is odd?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
However you choose to pronounce it go there next month for the fair and eat the scones.

Bet you can't eat just one.

Downtown is a pretty older town. Uptown is suburbia with a Northwest twist.