• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alba Adventures

Getting on the lift
Skier

We hope if you like, please give us a HUGE thumbs up and follow us on here, facebook and on YouTube. Your views are our currency.. Well we are negative nickels.. ...

As some of you know, Maine is a big part of our lives and where our hearts and minds have been for many years. We summer and at times have wintered there, longing to be there. If you have never been to Maine, when you go, its coastline and beauty will seduce you.

If there is one place you want to be
It’s where your senses will be filled.
A place where you have a connection
Where you belong.

Not just a place to visit,
but a place to reflect and to create a lifetime of memories.

Hearing the waves crash and feeling the sun beat down
You will be overwhelmed by Maine’s beauty.

It’s a place to stop and smell the flowers.

And to embrace life’s precious moments
and it’s fragility.

Where at sea you have guides.

And as the tides change,

You will sail together.

And your bonds will be made

It’s all you need.

Where the mornings embrace you,

as these are the ones to cherish.

And this energy, will flourish within you

Its coastline will replenish your soul.

This is Summer in Maine.

#scenicmaine #maineinvitesyou #summerinmaine #wheninmaine #worthavisitworthalifetime #hikemaine #visitmaine #getyourmaineon #thewaylifeshouldbe #igersmaine #portlandmaine
#DJI #NIKON

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I love Maine.

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, @Alba Adventures , that is the Perkins Island Light. I spent a night or two at the island on my last sailing tour of the coast. I've been to Five Islands, too. I've sailed from Portland to Rogue Island on my boat and a friend's. Apart from a few day trip I did on my brother's boat last year, I haven't been sailing the coast since 2011. I am really jones(port)ing to get back and launch Rosa.

IMG_1099.JPG

A lazy sail from Perkins to the mouth of the Kennebec.

TS
Alba Adventures

Alba Adventures

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yes, @Alba Adventures , that is the Perkins Island Light. I spent a night or two at the island on my last sailing tour of the coast. I've been to Five Islands, too. I've sailed from Portland to Rogue Island on my boat and a friend's. Apart from a few day trip I did on my brother's boat last year, I haven't been sailing the coast since 2011. I am really jones(port)ing to get back and launch Rosa.

View attachment 54011
A lazy sail from Perkins to the mouth of the Kennebec.

Funny how many people we know that ski are also sailors. Most of the sailing we have done in Maine has been in and around the Casco Bay. The kids the last 3 years have been in summer sailing programs in Portland (Sail Maine) which has been great and our son had his first crack at racing this year. The scary thing for us, is that he said this summer that he liked sailing a bit more than skiing.. Well it's not scary - though it was funny given that our mission really has been getting families outdoors and skiing.

I forgot how much Perkins light looks like Squirrel Point light (the 1st light in our video) so, right away I had to think it was on the Kennebec.

We hope you get to sail again very soon in Maine and agree as we too have the jones(port) to sail there again very soon.

Now I am hungry for lobstah! Those MJ infused ones might do the trick too. Living in NYC, we don't think that is legal to do here.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Funny how many people we know that ski are also sailors. Most of the sailing we have done in Maine has been in and around the Casco Bay. The kids the last 3 years have been in summer sailing programs in Portland (Sail Maine) which has been great and our son had his first crack at racing this year. The scary thing for us, is that he said this summer that he liked sailing a bit more than skiing.. Well it's not scary - though it was funny given that our mission really has been getting families outdoors and skiing.

I forgot how much Perkins light looks like Squirrel Point light (the 1st light in our video) so, right away I had to think it was on the Kennebec.

We hope you get to sail again very soon in Maine and agree as we too have the jones(port) to sail there again very soon.

Now I am hungry for lobstah! Those MJ infused ones might do the trick too. Living in NYC, we don't think that is legal to do here.

IMG_1021.JPG

Lobstahs. Fresh off the boat.

IMG_1061.JPG

Mmmm.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I grew up spending a lot of time cruising the coast of New England on my parents' boats, and naturally a great deal of the time was in Maine. I've cruised every mile of the Maine coast, and beyond, and have been to most of the bigger and/or better known islands.
I've also raced through Maine at a much faster clip on a variety of boats, for most of my life.

We've continued to do it as a family, though we slowed it down when our kids started to spend most of their summers in NZ, Chile, Argentina, and on the European glaciers. And of course gave up racing dinghies. Only so many days in a summer. We had a pretty good sized sailboat, which we cruised and raced, and we turned her into a 29' powerboat. We spent three weeks downeast this summer with friends on their boat, and were back to see other friends over three other weekends.

Speaking of Casco Bay, we lived just north of Portland for six years. Great experience. If we didn't have such a draw to "home": many lifelong friends who have never moved, familiarity and family, we would not have moved back to Essex County. MA. We lived ON the water in Maine. Three boats on moorings. Five minute walk up the street to the Yacht Club. 5 minutes the other direction for lobster or lobster rolls. 15 minutes door to door to my office on the Portland waterfront. Pretty darn nice. Fished most mornings at sunrise.

I could spend an entire summer on Casco Bay. Every Day. So much to see. So many special anchorages. We also love Portland. great small city. Incredible food. Less than 2:30 to Sugarloaf. Having our place at Sugarloaf and being able to spend so much time on the water in the summer was really great. Our friends who grew up and raised families in the area can't imagine living anywhere else.

Now, we were in Tahoe three weeks ago. I could get very used to it. Weather was incredible, no humidity. The lake, and the the mountains were spectacular, plus the convenience of world class skiing and the airport in Reno. We can see why our son has fallen in love with it. Had never been there in the summer. Many times in the winter. But, if you live on the water in New England, you tend to stay close to home. Or on your boat. Friends come to vacation and visit us.

Rosa reminds me of our first sailboat, a Ranger 23. When we were first dating and then married, we cruised everywhere on that boat. Much farther afield than you normally would on a boat of her size, but my wife also has slat water in her veins. I saw one for sale on the West Shore of Tahoe. $2400 with a trailer. Got very nostalgic!

Great thread!

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Missing that view. Do you live in Maine and if so, on one of the islands?

No Alba, I live in Massachusetts about 20 miles from Boston.

We are fortunate to have a place to stay on one of the islands. Unfortunately with baseball and soccer in the summer, other trips, and too many vacation days wasted on skiing, we don't get up there as frequently as we used to, but always spend a week in August: driving the golf cart to the beaches, jumping off the wharf, and watching the sunset. What I've learned so far about Casco Bay is fascinating, the natives, pirate treasure, and North Atlantic Fleet. We have a sunfish with a race sail on the island which I am still learning to sail. The wind between the islands can be fickle and times, and combined with currents and rocks makes me look like a fool out there, but once I get going it feels great. My wife is pretty adept on the boat but when I'm 1000 feet away tacking against the current and avoiding a ferry her hand gestures don't do me much good.

I could go on and on about other experiences in ME but natural beauty aside, what I've really learned about the place is that is has some great people who are caring and when they smile it's as genuine as a sunset.

Sponsor

Staff online