• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In Bounds Touring Without Touring Specific Equipment?

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Remember with touring you will spend 1 hour going up for a 10min (or less) ski down on average. On a typical outing you will spend 3-4 hours going up and doing transitions instead of skiing downhill resort style. A LOT of people get disappointed really quickly.
Like mountain biking! :ogbiggrin:

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Boots are tough, the plastic is more pliable, so I've found fit to be less difficult, but the downside of that is that the downhill performance almost inevitably leaves some things to be desired.

As for resorts doing maintenance, never hurts to call. Ours also have uphill travel indicator lights if you're close enough to check.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Remember with touring you will spend 1 hour going up for a 10min (or less) ski down on average. On a typical outing you will spend 3-4 hours going up and doing transitions instead of skiing downhill resort style. A LOT of people get disappointed really quickly.

With at least 2 people trading off hand held videos and or stopping to take stills of one's S-turn artwork, it makes the whole run after so much climbing effort more interesting that one can recall glory again when looking at. I have some awesome spots off volcanic ridges around Carson Pass I've made note on while doing summer wildflower exploring that am still looking for someone like else to do some recorded fresh powder runs down on via the Kirkwood CC Schneider lot. It is just so so awesome looking down a crystalline glistening 20F degree morning sun illuminted slope of absolutely bare baby butt smooth dry cold powder and unlike at resorts, one is in no hurry and can just absorb it all visually and know how awesome it is about to feel letting that feeling rise up and up and....

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Like mountain biking! :ogbiggrin:

Yes but imagine the typical resort downhill mountain biker that is just used to taking lifts and riding down on a plush 40# bike all of the sudden on a XC course with big climbs...

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes but imagine the typical resort downhill mountain biker that is just used to taking lifts and riding down on a plush 40# bike all of the sudden on a XC course with big climbs...
I find it a fair bit easier to climb a mountain on AT skis than on my mtb. Probably because you can pick your own route and tempo much more, thereby keeping the effort below anaerobic threshold.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think it's called hiking, maybe hikeski, not touring. Like Tuckerman or any other mountain if you feel like hiking then go for it. Seems like you'd have to be extra careful of falling in a well or crack in the snow.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As has been noted, at many resorts, even those within National Forest lands, it is against policy to skin or boot up slopes. At resorts with steeper terrain at avalanche gradients, there are legal reasons for doing so. All resorts have safe lower gradient slopes, however I doubt any specify where going up slopes is ok because many of the average enthusiasts would not be able to figure much out and end up going where they ought not.

The above noted, there is also the issue of attracting so many enthusiasts into these resort areas that small local communities become overwhelmed, Thus the better strategy going forward for we enthusiasts is to spread out across our mountains, keeping responsible safe distances from others outside our parties, not congregating into groups that then end up in social media photos making the whole community look like inconsiderate fools. That is in fact occurring already in climbing communities that have suddenly shown up in numbers about Moab and Bishop acting like its business as usual, forcing authorities to shut it all down. The same thing (like a total Nationl Forest closure) will happen to us if they see us acting so in our playpens.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
IF we figure out a way to make this happen, we'll go at the resort when the green light is issued, and stay on the routes we know are not in slide zones at all. Better yet, we'll drag 4ster out and let him guide us.

Honestly, with the economic uncertainties that lie ahead, we're probably not spending another dime on ski related stuff this year. If we can pull it off easily with snowshoes, then that's what we'll do.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
If I did my first ski tour on plug boots/alpine trekkers and an alpine binding set up, I'm not sure I'd go again. The effort involved to push that uphill would turn me off forever.
YMMV.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ
While it will not be the most challenging terrain on the downhill, getting up the summer road at Alta even without snowshoes is a pretty easy walk even in snow. This will be dependent on Alta opening uphill travel.
You and @utskier can use the ski tote I have and the hydration pack I had rigged to use voile straps to attach skis to it.
It is a nice walk and being able to ski down will just add to it.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it’d be fun. Just, you know, be safe and don’t cause trouble. :)

I can't guarantee that!

@AmyPJ
While it will not be the most challenging terrain on the downhill, getting up the summer road at Alta even without snowshoes is a pretty easy walk even in snow. This will be dependent on Alta opening uphill travel.
You and @utskier can use the ski tote I have and the hydration pack I had rigged to use voile straps to attach skis to it.
It is a nice walk and being able to ski down will just add to it.
OK, THAT sounds fun! I don't need challenge, I just want the experience!

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
It builds character.
...and legs.

"Legs feed the wolf" -Herb Brooks

I'm still not quite sure what that quote means, but it passes through my conscious at least once per uphill trek. It's a good meditation focus for me.

I'll throw 1 more suggestion out there. "Approach skis" are my snowboarding buddies solution to back country. They seem to prefer this set up over split boards. You could spend ~$300 on the low end >$800 on the high end for folding models.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/glidelite-127-BD13010100001271.html

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
...and legs.

"Legs feed the wolf" -Herb Brooks

I'm still not quite sure what that quote means, but it passes through my conscious at least once per uphill trek. It's a good meditation focus for me.

I'll throw 1 more suggestion out there. "Approach skis" are my snowboarding buddies solution to back country. They seem to prefer this set up over split boards. You could spend ~$300 on the low end >$800 on the high end for folding models.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/glidelite-127-BD13010100001271.html

Those look interesting, too. Skins built in? I have snow shoes, but they are not good ones, and are very cumbersome.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Those look interesting, too. Skins built in? I have snow shoes, but they are not good ones, and are very cumbersome.

Maybe a pair of Marquette Backcountry Skis that we heard so much about during the Backcountry.com debacle? Pretty sure your description is exactly what they’re made for, someone looking to get out, ski some, get exercise and doesn’t necessarily need to shred the raddest gnar out there...all for a reasonable cost.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
I googled to find out what you are talking about
Did you find:

If the wolf doesn't maximize his speed and work ethic in pursuit of his prey, he goes to sleep hungry. If a hockey player doesn't maximize his speed and work ethic in pursuit of the puck, what good is he?

"The legs feed the wolf." Any hockey player is going to remember that a lot longer than endless shouted cries of "forecheck hard!" Herb knew that. Self-guided application of logic in a learning situation makes any lesson stick better.

Though a Mel Brooks quote will likely work equally well.