• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In Bounds Touring Without Touring Specific Equipment?

James

Out There
Instructor
VT won’t have avalanche issues, whether it becomes banned is another thing. Depends on the yahooism of bros.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You don't have to over think this beyond making sure you aren't skiing unstable terrain and bringing a buddy. We grew up hiking up and skiing farm hills, some that now have lifts on them. We didn't have any BC gear, not even sure they made it other than true X/C back then. Go scope it out. Rig a strap to sling your skis over your shoulder and hike up aways til you're tired and ski down. Bring a buddy. Start small, figure out what you really need/want and then go shopping.

I have heard somewhere here that at least one resort has walked back the allowance of hiking/uphill laps. Check ahead.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@jmills115 , thanks for the correction. I was going of a post in the ski resort closures.

And just to make clear, we are not concerned with their normal uphilling policy, but with the specific restriction right now.
This thread is about @AmyPJ asking about getting uphill on the cheap and not about any uphill policy normal or not

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread is about @AmyPJ asking about getting uphill on the cheap and not about any uphill policy normal or not
True. I wasn’t trying to get off to go off topic. I wanted to point out that you might not be able to do so either now, or very soon, so to keep that in mind if you are buying gear.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Problem solved. You need the skis on this guy. Switch driving up and skiing down.:golfclap::hug:
cq5dam.web.1322.1322.jpeg

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well sister, we of same size, same awesome ski... ogsmile

I did buy these that although are pricy were a lot less than any new full touring binding setup. As someone living in a resort region as some posted on the below thread, there are better alternatives with used gear. Of course that also requires mounting that the Daymakers do not. Also being able to use one's alpine boots as is is another significant performance guaranty and cost reduction. I need to add I did not manage to test them again last year so have still just been out only one day and that was using my old, too narrow, 65mm Pocoma skins though expect to do so again in the near term using the below Profoils given resort closings. Yesterday did dust off and check out all my backcountry gear and took the photo that shows the mounted Profoils. The beacon, shovel, probes are all old stuff I normally would not be carrying in my daypack as I am not one of the many focused on steep terrain as rather quite enjoy moderate slopes, especially treed, well below avalanche gradients.

View attachment 96879

And wow, they are still extra cheap like when I bought them. A bargain you might grab quickly as BC gear is likely going to be hot given resort closures. Note I've not yet used mine but reviews look good. And yeah yesterday slapped them on the skis again that went well. They come with a plastic separation backing one can use in the field as one is not supposed to ever place them back to back per normal skins.

ww.amazon.com/Fischer-Profoil-Ranger-Climbing-Pre-Cut/dp/B018GOY2UA/ref=sr_1_2
I've thought about trying to just buy a whole used setup, but my boot sagas make me VERY hesitant. Which is also why I can't use the Daymakers. My BSL, at 263, is too short. :(

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Except like now in CA where they've just had 3+ feet of snow.
Some of the areas are up to 7'! It's what we needed to keep going in the spring. Oh well. Now we'll have water in the summer so that's good.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Find a pair of Alpine Trekkers. Then all you need is some skins. Trekkers aren't great, but they will get the job done.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The closed ski areas are going through take-down and maintenance now - think patrollers carrying ropes, ‘boo, pads, and signs coming down and snow cats working. Give it a week or two before you think about heading up.

@Jerez, I have to say that sounds brutal. But hey, if you try it, let me know - I’d like to watch. ;)

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The closed ski areas are going through take-down and maintenance now - think patrollers carrying ropes, ‘boo, pads, and signs coming down and snow cats working. Give it a week or two before you think about heading up.

@Jerez, I have to say that sounds brutal. But hey, if you try it, let me know - I’d like to watch. ;)
Oh, we'll wait for the green light from the resort, for sure.
@Erik Timmerman, those don't appear to be sold anywhere any longer.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
There must be some out there. I have a pair that's been sitting in the basement for ages, but they are a size large and won't work with your elf feet.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Actually I do have a pair of probably still working though unstable dusty alpine trekkers that I'll never need to use again. In fact they are in the picture posted on that earlier post. Then she will have to go slow like old me at my type of speed, but then that is ok.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, we'll wait for the green light from the resort, for sure.
@Erik Timmerman, those don't appear to be sold anywhere any longer.
A few on KSL.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I am so pissed off by the abrupt ending of the season that I am thinking of investing in a whole set of new equipment for touring or backcountry or whatever you call that activity where you go up the hill on skis. You can't trust the lifts anymore, so something needs to be done.

So far, I narrowed it down to:

Techica Zero G Tour boots. Most of people I know are on Scarpa but these seem to be too wide with 102 mm last and I am normally on 97.

Kastle TX 98 skis. How do I choose the proper length? Are these any good?
G3 adjustable poles which I already have.
Skins-no idea how these work but I will learn quick enough.

What else do I need? Are the above adequate?

Remember with touring you will spend 1 hour going up for a 10min (or less) ski down on average. On a typical outing you will spend 3-4 hours going up and doing transitions instead of skiing downhill resort style. A LOT of people get disappointed really quickly.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Remember with touring you will spend 1 hour going up for a 10min (or less) ski down on average. On a typical outing you will spend 3-4 hours going up and doing transitions instead of skiing downhill resort style. A LOT of people get disappointed really quickly.

I do realise that.
But the sight of the perfect snow on the nearby mountain with no lifts in operation drives me totally nuts.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It builds character.