• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In Bounds Touring Without Touring Specific Equipment?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have two pair of skis that would be great for it from the lightness standpoint (2016 Nordica Santa Ana 100s or 2020 Salomon Lumen 99s.) But I DON'T have the budget for boots and bindings and the other equipment. I could at some point mount touring bindings on the Santa Anas.

What are my options? We'd be hiking in bounds at one of the local resorts. That being said, with no new grooming and snow anticipated, we'd be hiking off-piste essentially.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Strap skis onto pack and then hike or snowshoe up what you want to ski, being mindful of avalanche terrain and conditions, especially if there is new snow coming in. If you snowshoe, click the ski boots into the bindings and do an A-frame setup with the skis.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Strap skis onto pack and then hike or snowshoe up what you want to ski, being mindful of avalanche terrain and conditions, especially if there is new snow coming in. If you snowshoe, click the ski boots into the bindings and do an A-frame setup with the skis.
This is how I tour using Verts snow shoes in hiking boots.
My pack with my skis A-Framed, alpine boots inside, and water is about 32lbs.
With this setup I hiked to the top of Mt Baldy at Alta and skied Main Chute 10+ times after Alta closed last spring. This was parking at the Wildcat Base.
Last fall before Alta opened I used the setup and could get to the Collins Angle station in around 30 minutes and to the top of Collins in 60-75 minutes.
I did make a few mistakes on my hikes and had to boot up in a tree well or two

Main Chute June 2019
AFE4F1F3-FB59-4D72-8C03-A7144F782299.jpeg

Baldys Shoulder July 2019
D1912AF6-B8C5-485F-B6EB-4E49C377AE59.jpeg

A failed attempt of Main Chute in August 2019
961125DD-1FB0-4273-8D9D-E683C4FBB44A.jpeg

Straight up High Rustler May 2019
5CC53F56-C9D3-4865-A22E-E0BB85CB8725.jpeg

Attachments

• D2A0B0FC-9640-48D3-AB71-453FBC42DFE1.jpeg
    D2A0B0FC-9640-48D3-AB71-453FBC42DFE1.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 7

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have two pair of skis that would be great for it from the lightness standpoint (2016 Nordica Santa Ana 100s or 2020 Salomon Lumen 99s.) But I DON'T have the budget for boots and bindings and the other equipment. I could at some point mount touring bindings on the Santa Anas.

What are my options? We'd be hiking in bounds at one of the local resorts. That being said, with no new grooming and snow anticipated, we'd be hiking off-piste essentially.
Alta groomed a path last spring until there wasn’t snow to groom.
They did the same before opening day this season starting in November.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I'd need a pack that could specifically carry the skis. We'd get avy gear, which is another list of things.

Has anyone used the inserts you can put into alpine bindings? We do have a friend who uses those.
@jmills, that is awesome the way you do that. I think a few spring tours locally would scratch a serious itch and is something we've been talking about doing anyway.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Before I bought a pack off KSL that would fit my boots inside and had straps to attach my skis with I used a Mountain Goat tote.
I carry it in my pocket on days when Baldy has been opened and I can boot pack from the top of Sugarloaf.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Well sister, we of same size, same awesome ski... ogsmile

I did buy these that although are pricy were a lot less than any new full touring binding setup. As someone living in a resort region as some posted on the below thread, there are better alternatives with used gear. Of course that also requires mounting that the Daymakers do not. Also being able to use one's alpine boots as is is another significant performance guaranty and cost reduction. I need to add I did not manage to test them again last year so have still just been out only one day and that was using my old, too narrow, 65mm Pocoma skins though expect to do so again in the near term using the below Profoils given resort closings. Yesterday did dust off and check out all my backcountry gear and took the photo that shows the mounted Profoils. The beacon, shovel, probes are all old stuff I normally would not be carrying in my daypack as I am not one of the many focused on steep terrain as rather quite enjoy moderate slopes, especially treed, well below avalanche gradients.

BC-gear_31620.jpg

And wow, they are still extra cheap like when I bought them. A bargain you might grab quickly as BC gear is likely going to be hot given resort closures. Note I've not yet used mine but reviews look good. And yeah yesterday slapped them on the skis again that went well. They come with a plastic separation backing one can use in the field as one is not supposed to ever place them back to back per normal skins.

ww.amazon.com/Fischer-Profoil-Ranger-Climbing-Pre-Cut/dp/B018GOY2UA/ref=sr_1_2

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, I'd need a pack that could specifically carry the skis. We'd get avy gear, which is another list of things.

Has anyone used the inserts you can put into alpine bindings? We do have a friend who uses those.
@jmills, that is awesome the way you do that. I think a few spring tours locally would scratch a serious itch and is something we've been talking about doing anyway.
Don't worry about avie gear if you go in the spring.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ , just about every backpack out there can do an A frame ski carry. You simply need both upper and lower side compression straps.
it really helps if the backpack is stuffed pretty full or has a solid frame, since skis with boots in them will be heavy and tall, so need the support.

Blister just published a review on the Daymakers:
Of course, you would need skins too then. For the Same amount of money, I would rather get some AT bindings like the Ambition 10 or Fritschi Scout.
Or, if you have tech inserts in your boots already, Skiessentials.com has the Salomon Shift, for just a bit more than that.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We'd be hiking in bounds at one of the local resorts. That being said, with no new grooming and snow anticipated, we'd be hiking off-piste essentially.

Closed resorts are not controlling for avalanches, so ‘inbounds’ or not doesn't matter if the resort is closed, it is still backcountry.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, I'd need a pack that could specifically carry the skis. ....

Has anyone used the inserts you can put into alpine bindings?

A pack that kind-of specifically carries skis. "All" you need for an A-frame setup are straps on both sides of the pack that can hold the bindings up and keep the skis from falling through to the ground, and then some sort of strap to hold your ski tips together at the top. Not a Jansport school backpack, but you probably don't need something marketed for ski carry, but it probably would be more comfortable.

If your boots do not have a walk mode, I don't recommend doing the inserts. Your calves will die.

You'd have to get skins, of course, to allow you to go uphill. Cut them for the skis you plan to later convert to an AT setup.

And I agree with @Slim - inbounds at a closed resort means that there is no longer avalanche mitigation by patrol. So one needs to be mindful of the terrain.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sold my tele skis and frame AT bindings last year thinking I was getting too old for uphill. Dang!
I still have the skins and a I have walk mode on my Scarpa boots. How crazy would it be to try to skin up in alpine bindings? Not steep and not a long way, one run for exercise and a lark. Somehow that sounds less horrid than snowshoeing with a pack and skis with boots in the bindings.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Closed resorts are not controlling for avalanches, so ‘inbounds’ or not doesn't matter if the resort is closed, it is still backcountry.

Awesome point.

We often saw skiers get rolled inbounds, prior to opening, in the PNW.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am so pissed off by the abrupt ending of the season that I am thinking of investing in a whole set of new equipment for touring or backcountry or whatever you call that activity where you go up the hill on skis. You can't trust the lifts anymore, so something needs to be done.

So far, I narrowed it down to:

Techica Zero G Tour boots. Most of people I know are on Scarpa but these seem to be too wide with 102 mm last and I am normally on 97.

Kastle TX 98 skis. How do I choose the proper length? Are these any good?
G3 adjustable poles which I already have.
Skins-no idea how these work but I will learn quick enough.

What else do I need? Are the above adequate?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love new gear, and I love backcountry activities, but if you plan on spending money keep in mind that as far as backcountry skiing and such go, those activities might end soon.

I know that sounds far fetched or unnecessary to some here, but in most of Europe that’s the case, with either local ordinances forbidding it, or groups like France’s PGHM mountain rescue, asking with the utmost emphasis, that people stay out of the backcountry, in order to save community resources.
Think that won’t happen here? That’s what we though about resort closures last week too….

And also keep in mind many resorts won’t allow uphill travel. Either they never do, or they might not right now.

edit:{Alta for example is closed to uphilling} corrected below by @jmills115

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I still have the skins and a I have walk mode on my Scarpa boots. How crazy would it be to try to skin up in alpine bindings? Not steep and not a long way, one run for exercise and a lark. Somehow that sounds less horrid than snowshoeing with a pack and skis with boots in the bindings.
I would rather snowshoe in my ski boots with walk mode.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From Canada:
We can still backcountry ski, but park's services are very limited. No visitors centers are open, avalanche reports will likely cease, and search and rescue might be limited.

Generally speaking, resorts are asking you to not skin up their property.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love new gear, and I love backcountry activities, but if you plan on spending money keep in mind that as far as backcountry skiing and such go, those activities might end soon.

I know that sounds far fetched or unnecessary to some here, but in most of Europe that’s the case, with either local ordinances forbidding it, or groups like France’s PGHM mountain rescue, asking with the utmost emphasis, that people stay out of the backcountry, in order to save community resources.
Think that won’t happen here? That’s what we though about resort closures last week too….

And also keep in mind many resorts won’t allow uphill travel. Either they never do, or they might not right now. Alta for example is closed to uphilling.
Not exactly correct regarding Alta. Alta is closed to uphill today but is very friendly towards it. They allow uphill up until a week before opening and once they have a normal closure. They are so friendly they groom a path daily before opening and closing.
I can still take summer road to Catherine’s Area today.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@jmills115 , thanks for the correction. I was going of a post in the ski resort closures.

And just to make clear, we are not concerned with their normal uphilling policy, but with the specific restriction right now.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dave Petersen
    Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid