• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Mm, I've had them cover the deductible after showing it was submitted, here is what was paid, here's what I paid, and gotten the deductible paid by the secondary insurance.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mm, I've had them cover the deductible after showing it was submitted, here is what was paid, here's what I paid, and gotten the deductible paid by the secondary insurance.

Interesting. Well, if Canadian health care wasn't so cheap I might have fought harder.

James

Out There
Instructor
I worked with someone who about 5 years ago broke her leg skiing in Zermatt. Not sure if it's sop in Zermatt to chopper you to the hospital because of the lack of cars, but they flew her. Into the hospital, leg fixed, done. She'd gotten trip insurance when purchasing the airline ticket. It covered the $15k bill.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
ETA: It covers only travel that is more than 100 miles away from the home address. For me, that includes everything but my local bump in Big Bear.

For your particular location, Air Methods (not my employer :) ) keeps a ship at Big Bear Lake in partnership with Mercy Air / Big Bear Fire. While there are others nearby (REACH) , that is the most likely aircraft to be called in that area. You might check your regular coverage to see if they are in network. They also offer an annual membership plan for $40 that avoids out of pocket charges if they fly you.

https://www.airmethods.com/airmethodsadvantage/membership-plans

The HEMS business in the US is very competitive and VERY profit oriented. There are ways to protect yourself from ridiculous bills, but it takes some homework.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d wager that Alterra and Epic would have a large enough risk pool to offer it as an add on. If there was some education and support it might be something It could be an additional revenue stream.