• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
OldJeep

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'd agree with the simple solution: cut a pair of 2x4s to length (hopefully your truck has short slots in the bed walls to make this easier), slot the top, put skis in them. If you're concerned about skis bouncing out, you can either clamp the top with a hinged piece of 2x4 as suggested or just put a couple of eye hooks on the 2x4 and bungee or strap across the top of the equipment.

That is where I'm at. Maybe a copy of these types of slots in some 2x4's or 2x6's that are attached to another 2x4 in a T format so that they sit in the bed slots.
https://www.storeyourboard.com/ski-...MI4v6u45bZ3gIVjf_jBx0zcgIZEAQYAiABEgILmfD_BwE

Drawers and stuff like that just waste too much space and I use my truck to haul frequently so I need something that I can remove completely - quickly

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I usually only sleep with my skis when my wife is away on business. Usually I put one arm around the top half and my legs might touch the tails. Edit: I see i was beaten to the punchline on page 1.

Seriously though, I used to just put them in the bed. If you need to spice up the routine a bit a spare tire will hold them in place, or a $15 roll of shrink wrap from Granger will keep them dry and stop them from sliding around.

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used to use the slotted 2x4 method on my Chevy's but on the Toyota's now just use those interlocking foam panels on the floor - skis don't slide on corners
(those used to be the grandkid's mats for tile or hardwood floors, sold in all kid stores about $9.00 for many more than you need)

the only reason for the change is the Tacomas have less height between the slots on the side walls and the floor and it was harder to position skis in the slots.

On road trips I always have a plywood cover over the skis so they are not visible while parked. A lock on the tail gate is much more secure than canopy locks and you can't remove the plywood unless the tailgate is down. I never worry about them not being there in the am.

all our other gear goes on top of the plywood in as many tupper ware boxes as needed, a 6 foot metal hook easily slides them out at motel stops
the concealed space is good for at least 6 pair and poles.

just make sure your boots ride in the truck while going to the hill- and only the beer stays chilled in the canopy.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
In the past I have used tubular shaped adjustable cargo bars in the truck bed with Yakima scissor type locking rack secured to the bars.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
That is where I'm at. Maybe a copy of these types of slots in some 2x4's or 2x6's that are attached to another 2x4 in a T format so that they sit in the bed slots.
https://www.storeyourboard.com/ski-...MI4v6u45bZ3gIVjf_jBx0zcgIZEAQYAiABEgILmfD_BwE

Drawers and stuff like that just waste too much space and I use my truck to haul frequently so I need something that I can remove completely - quickly
The system shown in the photo in the link is sort of what I suggested above, except I would add a couple of 2x4 (or 2x6) connecting tip and tail 2x4 (or 2x6s), and have a top piece of wood over the cross pieces, hinged and latched to keep everything in place while stunt driving around tight turns and bump on my way to first tracks. Don't forget, measure twice, cut once.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
1st, Nice truck
2nd, check out the BedRug XLT product for your bed. The rug is padded, covered in carpet and held in place with velcro, Literally, the only thing that has slid around back there was a hard sided suitcase. I would also add the tailgate seal to your rig too, keeps all the dust, dirt and POW from getting in.

Oh and you can hose it off to clean it

TS
OldJeep

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
1st, Nice truck
2nd, check out the BedRug XLT product for your bed. The rug is padded, covered in carpet and held in place with velcro, Literally, the only thing that has slid around back there was a hard sided suitcase. I would also add the tailgate seal to your rig too, keeps all the dust, dirt and POW from getting in.

Oh and you can hose it off to clean it

I've got a rubber mat in the bed. The issue is that the truck is used as a truck, so it is typically got stuff all over it. For instance right now it is covered in cement mix dust from the 600lbs of cement I was hauling last week. Hosing out is good when it is not below freezing - so for where I live that will be April :D

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've got a rubber mat in the bed. The issue is that the truck is used as a truck, so it is typically got stuff all over it. For instance right now it is covered in cement mix dust from the 600lbs of cement I was hauling last week. Hosing out is good when it is not below freezing - so for where I live that will be April :D

Well then skip the rug, I only have tools in mine so that rug would hate that cement dust.
What about getting the cheapest sleeping bag you can find and use that as a Ski bag. It'll keep the skis from rolling around, accept any melt on the way home and let the cement dust do what it wants with the outside of the bag, its whats inside that you care about.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've seen this work really well:

yakima-8001140.jpg
My Dad is going with this exact set up this winter, He got tired of not being able to reach all the way into the bed to grab the skis.