• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any thoughts or pictures of a good way to hold skis inside a pickup bed, off the bottom of the bed? Finally have a truck with a bed long enough that they don't have to be diagonal and it would be nice to be able to hold a few pairs of skis and boards without having to bag them all. Security isn't an issue, have locking tailgate and locking tonneau.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've seen this work really well:

yakima-8001140.jpg

TS
OldJeep

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
Need something that is inside the bed. Stuff that goes over the bed won't work because of the way my tonneau works, and I don't want the skis out in the elements anyways. I had a coffin on a ladder rack on the previous truck, but now that I've got a long enough bed I want them inside
IMAG0266.jpg
IMAG0295[1].jpg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Fellow patroller has the truck be drawers. Would be easy to make.

You can make 2x4 holders or pvc holders. Cut slots on two pieces of wood and place one in towards front and back of bed. Make the number of slots to how many skis you want to carry. Put a couple of hooks on ends to use bungee straps so they don't jump out on bump.s

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
When I read the thread title, I was thinking "wow, they like their skis so much they want them in bed with them". Your skis smiling beatifically down at you while you sleep, rather than that Farrah Fawcett or Judy Garland poster.

OK, maybe not. My solution is a Leer cap, but that's perhaps overkill. Sure makes them easy to load up and lock up, tho. I don't bag them - if you have them under a tonneau, why bother? Helps melt off the snow at the end of the day. Do you have some kind of abrasive bed liner?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
When I go to races with Chuck, we just put them in alternating tip first, then tail, the tip.... They interlock (sort of) and take less space on the floor when you alternate them as the bindings line up more efficiently. Just put a nice blanket or moving pad under them. It'll absorb the melt so they edges won't start to oxidize on the ride home and protect them from the bed itself. We do this with our speed skis. It works and the skis don't get damaged. Another blanket or rug on top and you can load your soft goods.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
When I read the thread title, I was thinking "wow, they like their skis so much they want them in bed with them". Your skis smiling beatifically down at you while you sleep, rather than that Farrah Fawcett or Judy Garland poster.

OK, maybe not. My solution is a Leer cap, but that's perhaps overkill. Sure makes them easy to load up and lock up, tho. I don't bag them - if you have them under a tonneau, why bother? Helps melt off the snow at the end of the day. Do you have some kind of abrasive bed liner?

Right now half of my skiing kit has been on my queen bed for weeks. I rolled over and almost...

Andy Jones

Booting up
Skier
My Tacoma setup. Simple but not covered. Very little spray gets inside the bed. Can carry 181 K2’s with tailgate up and nothing slides around. Not shown but have pieces that lock boards on place with the bed rail system. Racks can be locked for security. Notches on the back board hold two 6 gallon gas cans tight against the tailgate for summer use. Flip boards over to haul plywood and lumber.
ef51c970-76fc-4e8a-a301-51053725b284-jpeg.34245

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
My Tacoma setup. Simple but not covered. Very little spray gets inside the bed. Can carry 181 K2’s with tailgate up and nothing slides around. Not shown but have pieces that lock boards on place with the bed rail system. Racks can be locked for security. Notches on the back board hold two 6 gallon gas cans tight against the tailgate for summer use. Flip boards over to haul plywood and lumber.
ef51c970-76fc-4e8a-a301-51053725b284-jpeg.34245
A rolling or hard folding tonneau cover added to this would make this a definite winner with lots of room for other gear under your skis.

Andy Jones

Booting up
Skier
A rolling or hard folding tonneau cover added to this would make this a definite winner with lots of room for other gear under your skis.
Access cab gives me plenty of room behind the seats for boots and clothes. Keeps everything warm, secure and dry. I don’t really have that much problem with road spray getting on my skis in the bed. If they do get rained on during the trip home I just spray them off and towel dry.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pack Rat makes some very durable bed storage systems. Know several field mechanics that use them for tool storage and have had the systems thru several truck changes.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At the car show in Toronto I picked up a catalog on all sorts of truck accessories, just about anything you wanted. Sort of a an industry supply all type catalog.

Some very neat drawer systems that would likely fit what you want, just comes down to how much are you willing to spend (these aren’t cheap).

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
At the car show in Toronto I picked up a catalog on all sorts of truck accessories, just about anything you wanted. Sort of a an industry supply all type catalog.

Some very neat drawer systems that would likely fit what you want, just comes down to how much are you willing to spend (these aren’t cheap).
The drawer systems—both commercial and home-made—are slick, but they also tend to be damn heavy. If you're never loading your truck up near its payload limit, that could actually be an advantage (pickups tend to be very front-biased when unloaded, which doesn't help handling in the snow), but if you want the payload available, 200 pounds of drawer system in the bed cuts into the utility of the vehicle.

I'd agree with the simple solution: cut a pair of 2x4s to length (hopefully your truck has short slots in the bed walls to make this easier), slot the top, put skis in them. If you're concerned about skis bouncing out, you can either clamp the top with a hinged piece of 2x4 as suggested or just put a couple of eye hooks on the 2x4 and bungee or strap across the top of the equipment.

Sponsor