• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
There are some good suggestions already. Nothing that one could argue with. How much benefit toward skiing? I don't know. We have a short season here too and where i was in the "serious development mode" I did't find a lot could help my ski TECHNIQUE other than strength and flexibility training, I think the impact of off-season activities' direct benefit to skiing is minimal. Someone mentioned the Mahre brothers. I recall reading an article about them back in their hay-day where they basically said that they skiied themselves into shape and didn't do a whole lot off season. Professional skiers today have taken training to a whole 'nother level. But a casual 10 day/season skier probably isn't going to go into serious ski training in the off season. But strength training has many benefits on and off the slopes.

While rollerblading can help with fore/aft balance issues and is fun to do in itself, it doesn't completely mimic skiing. It's more similar to hockey. In fact, one has to be careful not to introduce inclination or banking while rollerblading, while skiers need to learn to angulate. Simulating the effect of direction change, speed and radius of turn on roller blades is difficult.

One of the biggest issues I see with many ski students is the SEQUENCE of muscle firing and movement. Often they have the correct mechanics, but use them out of order, which often work counter to (my) "core elements of skiing" (not PSIA's version using the same term- I started using it first :huh: ).

Bottom line: Do what's fun and will create general benefit for fitness, strength and flexibility. Perhaps with some books on technique you can pre-visualize what you have to do on snow. But I think that skiing is different enough from other activities that any direct benefit would probably be limited and is best accomplished on snow. I think the best advice would be to get some trained eyes on you early in the season and work on those elements throughout. Given enough time and diligent practice, even 10 snow days, improvement will stay with you from year to year.

Oh... One more thing I just remembered....
What always helped me jump start a season was at the end of a season I would create a journal with my thoughts from the season I was just ending. I found that journaling what I was working on helped me get my head back in the game when the next season hit and helped my skiing continue to improve season after season after season.

Good luck.

A number of great points here.

One driver: Do those movements that are challenging for you. Do you adore squats? Don't do them. You have likely developed robust neuromuscular pathways for that exercise. Hate one-leg deadlifts (for example)? Do those.

You can also accomplish a ton off snow with visualization. Have you captured that sensation of what the perfect turn feels like? Rehearse that while your SO is watching The Voice, and you are trying to be supportive by sitting there, and sharing their bowl of popcorn. Watch Mikaela's slomo channel on YouTube is great too.

The OP also kind of lost me when they said, "...starting pushing legs..."

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Paddle boarding! Turns out I love paddle board racing as much as skiing and cycling. The balance you develop on a board carries over and it's a killer core workout. It doesn't however make for super strong knees which is where the bike, kettelbells and specific exercises come in for me.

One can still strength train all winter long during the ski season. Create a workout that builds joint strength, agility, flexibility and balance. Once on the slopes, drills that force weight forward like the old dinner tray done over and over again are the only way to break the tail heavy habit.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
... Rehearse that while your SO is watching The Voice, and you are trying to be supportive by sitting there, and sharing their bowl of popcorn. ...

:roflmao::ogbiggrin:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lots of things will be a big help. The skating develops fore & aft balance. Any balance drill is always good. Yoga is great. Flexibility work is great. Core muscle development is critical. Cardio work is important. Riding a bike uphill and standing on the pedals is great for building many parts including the small trunk muscles that assist balance. Weight training is important.

The main thing is an assortment of training disciplines. Strength, flexibility, cardio, balance...include all in any exercises the person enjoys doing. Or is just willing to do.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Watch Mikaela's slomo channel on YouTube is great too.
Didn’t know there was an MS ski-mo channel. My skiing vastly improved after watching YouTube videos of her skiing, over and over again through the year.

SargeSki

Booting up
Skier
We do the indoor ski treadmill every 2 weeks for an hour (3x10 minute sessions with 10 minute rest periods in between). With being able to control pitch and speed, it’s like getting a full day mountain workout in 30 minutes. My wife and I do it for conditioning, my son for continued skills development. Has helped him tremendously in the off season.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you think that are there any excercises without skis that you can do by the whole year and that can help you improving your technique (elimination sitting on the back, starting pushing legs and keeping body straightforward) ?

Do you have indoors ski centre somewhere close?

Something like this:
That's the best way.

Otherwise inline skating is best for training in summer. It is a fantastic way to improve your balance as keeping balance on skates is MUCH harder than on ski.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Check out this @SkiEssentials video Re: rollerblades as it seems this model was specifically developed to improve ski technique

It was not specifically developed for ski technique BUT works very good for this. This is a free skate model for urban skating. I have the similar Twister X model and cant praise it high enough.
This is the closest to a ski boot that I have ever put on my feet. Wholeheartedly recommend.

Now, please note that as with ski boots, different skates fit differently shaped feet. The Twisters (and maybe, but just maybe the Exxum) fit better narrow feet. If you have wider feet then the best would be Seba FR1 or actually any of the FR series (1,2,3-they share the same shell). Amazing skates.

And yes, skating is great for summer training, along with cycling of course...although nothing comes close to my personal favourite- pedal kayak fishing :):)

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
It was not specifically developed for ski technique BUT works very good for this. This is a free skate model for urban skating. I have the similar Twister X model and cant praise it high enough.
This is the closest to a ski boot that I have ever put on my feet. Wholeheartedly recommend.

Now, please note that as with ski boots, different skates fit differently shaped feet. The Twisters (and maybe, but just maybe the Exxum) fit better narrow feet. If you have wider feet then the best would be Seba FR1 or actually any of the FR series (1,2,3-they share the same shell). Amazing skates.

And yes, skating is great for summer training, along with cycling of course...although nothing comes close to my personal favourite- pedal kayak fishing :):)

Note: “pedaling” motions do nothing for lateral acceleration movements, or building musculature needed to control those motions. Good for aerobic workouts, if that is what you need, and lower quad development.

Elite cyclists are notorious for poor core strength. You need core strength as an anchor to cycle well, but cycling doesn’t build core strength. Bradley Wggins was an exception. Core strength however, is Essential to skiing.