• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Important notice about pandemic threads

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This has been a crazy month, with the global pandemic, an abrupt close to ski season, shelter in place and downright quarantines.
You can imagine we've had some upheaval on the administrative end of things with warnings coming from the tech side about not capitalizing on the pandemic.
We've been trying to keep new threads about COVID-19, Coronavirus and other related words to a minimum.
You'll find several already in place that should feed your information pipeline as well as your soul.
Please refrain from starting more threads, so we can attempt to stay off the radar of search engines for COVID related conversation.
You should be able to find an area to post in any of these threads that already exist on this topic.
Official COVID-19 and Ski Travel Thread.
Now that you are quarantined, what have you been doing with your time?
Are you holding off on buying your pass?
2020 / 21 Season’s Passes
In this crazy time, walking a dog makes me smile
The official "I'm stuck inside and need to cook/bake" thread
The official "I'm stuck at home" so I need a recipe for a Quarantini thread
TP and Paper Towels where art thou...
Resort closures are Kickstarting Alpine Touring
Backcountry caution with early resort closures
What to do with Federal Aid Payments
Crazy times: Supporting the ski industry.
Help Doctors Fighting COVID-19 - Goggles For Docs
China REOPENS indoor ski centers!
Anyone else not that bothered by not skiing anymore?
Shaggy's Copper Country Skis changes manufacturing temporarily
As well as the variety of threads and press releases in Skiing and Industry News

Thank you for understanding.

Last edited:

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That is already a whole lot of threads.

As it is, I find that there is often more than one thread that fits a particular topic.

Makes sense to refrain from starting any new ones.

James

Out There
Instructor
Why not get rid of the “Covid 19” wording in the supporting ski industry thread?
Just make it these days, trying times, or something.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What's the issue? Not that it matters, but just interested.
Google is taking issue with websites that don't normally talk about these type of things capitalizing on a crisis.
This is one reason we're working on new ad sourcing.
We want to be strong in search engines for ski related things, not the pandemic.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Basically cutting ad revenue? That sucks. One way to look at the issue is to see whether the increase in traffic is from members/long-time lurkers or newcomers. But then again, I doubt Pugski is large enough to engage in a conversation with Google...

Mike

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Basically cutting ad revenue? That sucks. One way to look at the issue is to see whether the increase in traffic is from members/long-time lurkers or newcomers. But then again, I doubt Pugski is large enough to engage in a conversation with Google...

Mike
Ad revenue was one thing. We also saw a drop in where we were landing in search engines.
We do track analytics of the site and, though we've had a few new members, most of the traffic over the past few weeks is from members.
To be fair to the COVID conversation, the primary thread which was started by @James is filled with incredible information.
Thank you for explaining.

Should we all start a new skiing related thread?
Absolutely!
I thought about digging through my pictures from Jackson Hole and add them to the TR thread that flattened out when all this craziness started.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Let's face it few newbies will be googling about skiing now given where the world is and the uncertainty over both the SH season and next NH season. I find it a bit weird that Google might be "penalising" forum based websites for talking about CV because basically every forum on earth will be talking more about it than any other subject in history (even Trump).

Tony

tseeb
Skier
You left out these threads (which seems like they could be combined):

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pretty stupid. There’s no skiing, no pro sports of any kind, and the most impactful event since Pearl Harbor. But, we shouldn’t talk about it.
We have not been successful in actual communication with Google. It is near impossible to have any kind of communication with them. However, we were advised that Google AdSense is penalizing sites that are capitalizing on COVID-19/Coronavirus.
At the time this was happening, the thread that you started about ski travel was going off the hook and it had ad impressions on it.
Since we can't get a real answer from Google, we can only act on it with the information we do have.

Google's limitations have been lifted, so we're experimenting with a new placement resource in the hopes of not having this come up again.
In the end we're like :huh:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You left out these threads (which seems like they could be combined):
Thanks, added.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
ALL pandemic-related threads have been moved HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Seems like a good time to toss a few bux in the kitty!

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello Everyone. Very loooooong time lurker here who finally registered so I could continue to follow the Official [Illness not to be Mentioned] and Ski Travel Thread, which not even incredible Stockli threads got me to do over the years. You guys really do have an great community here of which you should be very proud.

And for the record, I can personally attest that now is not the time to have out of state plates in a mountain town!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello Everyone. Very loooooong time lurker here who finally registered so I could continue to follow the Official [Illness not to be Mentioned] and Ski Travel Thread, which not even incredible Stockli threads got me to do over the years. You guys really do have an great community here of which you should be very proud.

And for the record, I can personally attest that now is not the time to have out of state plates in a mountain town!
Welcome aboard! Hopefully those "other" threads will soon disappear and we'll get back to the real crux of things-SKIING! If you want some stoke, check out the 2019-2020 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups Thread. Crazy photos of an untracked Squaw Valley.

Sponsor

Staff online