• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Honestly, I am not sure if you are trolling or if you are just messing with me. Either way, I am out. Take care of yourself.
Either way, I am not in line with your vision and/or opinion. No reason to get hostile ...

In many ways I appreciate your opinion ...

Mod Edit: Lanuage (in quote)

Last edited by a moderator:

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm guilty of exactly what the article suggests. I have the IKON Base pass, and spent five days at Jackson Hole a couple of weeks ago. If there weren't any multi-resort passes period, it's entirely possible that I would have ended up at Jackson Hole anyway, but if Jackson Hole simply wasn't on any of the multi-resort passes, I would have ended up elsewhere. This means that whatever revenue the resort got from scanning my IKON pass was revenue that they wouldn't have otherwise realized. Same with the food that I bought in the lodges and Cafe 6311, the ski tune/wax I got, and the few dollars that I paid for locker rentals.

One of the things in the article on page one of this thread about crowds at JH is that they have overlooked the attractiveness of cheap rooms in Jackson. Accommodation is usually the biggest expense on a ski trip, but not in Jackson Wy.(20 minutes from the skiing) where a Motel 6 room is $60 in winter and $200 in summer when Jackson becomes the Gateway to Yellowstone Park. Other lodging is similar, some not even open in winter. IMO the inexpensive lodging is one of JH's biggest draws.

That's exactly what I did. I stayed at the Motel 6, paid $55/night through credit card points, and took the bus into Teton Village or into town for dinner. I went to Albertsons and bought a 10 pack of bus tickets for $24. Overall, it was a cheap vacation. Lodging was affordable, my tickets were included in my pass, I didn't have to rent a car, and there were plenty of affordable dining options. I booked my flight a few weeks in advance, and hunted for days when I could find a good deal coming from Boston.

Other than the flight, the affordability of Jackson is on par with Salt Lake. I'm excited that the Gathering is at Jackson Hole next year, so I already have tentative plans to go back :)!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the things in the article on page one of this thread about crowds at JH is that they have overlooked the attractiveness of cheap rooms in Jackson. Accommodation is usually the biggest expense on a ski trip, but not in Jackson Wy.(20 minutes from the skiing) where a Motel 6 room is $60 in winter and $200 in summer when Jackson becomes the Gateway to Yellowstone Park. Other lodging is similar, some not even open in winter. IMO the inexpensive lodging is one of JH's biggest draws.

Damn straight. First time I looked at lodging in Jackson I was confused as to why it was so cheap when it was serving Jackson. Friggin. Hole!

Jackson was already on my must-ski list before Ikon and buying the Base pass only made it easier for me. I was going regardless of Ikon, though. Where does that put me in the eyes of a local? Maybe I'll find out next week but I'll be sure to hide my Ikon pass on the tram!

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Started in 2015, so not long. I was led to believe Alterra was going to make an already good place better, I am not seeing any improvement. I like groomers, and the grooming is not as good as previous years, I should say not as extensive I suppose. I have not seem any added value to justify a 15% price hike in the first year of Alterra ownership.

Alterra is doing their best to please their customer base, but as someone else posted, skiers are a diverse group of people. Some love their groomers, and others don't want grooming. You're in the former camp, and I totally respect that. When I visit Deer Valley this season, it will be for the eighth season in a row. I love Deer Valley, and personally, I'm excited that there will be slightly fewer groomed trails. I will say - Deer Valley has a ton of excellent terrain, and even if they groom a bit less of it, there will still be plenty of excellent groomers :). One thing I love about Deer Valley is that I can get my fix for both faster groomers and cool off-piste stuff.

There must have been more people in the less groomed camp if they made a change. I suspect that they may be trying to increase their standing a bit with expert skiers. My only evidence for this, in addition to grooming less trails, is this image of Deer Valley which I've seen featured in ads in ski magazines:

A-1024x683.jpg

Notice how this ad gives you two things: some nice, gentle groomers with large condos in the foreground, with Deer Valley's gnarliest terrain on the Empire lift in the background. What I especially love about this image is that if you don't know Deer Valley, you might actually think that the gnarly looking mountain in the background is part of Deer Valley - it's actually Clayton Peak: Brighton is on the other side!

Jackson was already on my must-ski list before Ikon and buying the Base pass only made it easier for me. I was going regardless of Ikon, though. Where does that put me in the eyes of a local? Maybe I'll find out next week but I'll be sure to hide my Ikon pass on the tram!

Put your pass in your chest pocket and nobody will ever know ;). It's all RFID.

Lake n Ski

Putting on skis
Skier
IKON pass holder here. Made trip to Jackson Hole as well this year though I've skied there before. Heard plenty of anti-IKON sentiment on the tram this time, though watching these supposed local experts of gnar ski from the peak often proved laughable as their bite rarely backed up their bark.

Sure, plenty of Jackson locals are rad. Plenty also THINK they are equally rad by proxy. Also had locals complaining when people asked to put the bar down on the chair? WTF?

I've had Colorado, Epic, Ikon, Bridger, Big Sky passes during my lifetime. IKON and EPIC passes are a great deal for skiers. great deal. unequivocal.

I live in an extremely touristy area, especially in the summer. Many locals here complain as well not realizing that the infrastructure, amenities, etc. that they love about the area likely wouldn't be possible without the tourists.

Sometimes we all need to calm down and share the goods.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We'll see how Copper is this Pres Weekend. We are one of the few Ikon resorts not blacked out this weekend. It's cold and snowing here, so maybe the TourIkons that are paying for our tens of millions of new lifts might stay inside?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IKON pass holder here. Made trip to Jackson Hole as well this year though I've skied there before. Heard plenty of anti-IKON sentiment on the tram this time, though watching these supposed local experts of gnar ski from the peak often proved laughable as their bite rarely backed up their bark.

Sure, plenty of Jackson locals are rad. Plenty also THINK they are equally rad by proxy. Also had locals complaining when people asked to put the bar down on the chair? WTF?

I've had Colorado, Epic, Ikon, Bridger, Big Sky passes during my lifetime. IKON and EPIC passes are a great deal for skiers. great deal. unequivocal.

I live in an extremely touristy area, especially in the summer. Many locals here complain as well not realizing that the infrastructure, amenities, etc. that they love about the area likely wouldn't be possible without the tourists.

Sometimes we all need to calm down and share the goods.
They need to remember, if there were no tourist, there would not be a Jackson Hole. The locals cannot support that place...most mountains.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
In reality for you to get to skiing west is not that much different in time than it is than it is to get to New England.

That’s exactly why I haven’t skied a single day in the east yet this season... Getting out of nyc by car is painful, especially when you can only leave during rush hour...
One time it took us 3 hours to get out of manhattan! That’s already half the direct flight to Reno!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s exactly why I haven’t skied a single day in the east yet this season... Getting out of nyc by car is painful, especially when you can only leave during rush hour...
One time it took us 3 hours to get out of manhattan! That’s already half the direct flight to Reno!
And we love seeing you out here!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When I got back into skiing in the 16-17 season, I had an Epic Local pass. I skied at Northstar exclusively, except for one day at Kirkwood. As the season drew to an unfortunate early close at N*, I bought the Mt. Rose pass that allowed me to finish the spring out and then ski the 17-18 season. I got the MC pass in 17-18 so I could ski at the gathering at Snowbasin, Alta, and Snowbird. This year I have the Rose and IKON passes. So far this year I've been to Rose, Alpine, Squaw, Mammoth, June, Solitude, and DV with upcoming days at JH and Big Sky. Without passes such as IKON and Epic I'd be skiing at one relatively small, local hill and enjoying myself BUT...I wouldn't have met so many great people or skied at other great areas.

So, while IKON may be a lightning rod at some places for some people, it offers a fantastic opportunity for those who are fortunate to take advantage of it. It does get people on the hill who, although the pass is paid for, usually spend money in other areas like food, gifts, lessons, parking, rentals, etc. not to mention the fiscal impact to the surrounding area via fuel, lodging, rental cars, and food. Would these areas be able to move further into the 2020s with shorter winters and fewer overall skier days if these passes weren't available? I realize that if I'm skiing at JH I'm not at my "home" mountain but I already paid for that pass and am not making them any more money by skiing there.

Last edited:

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
Also had locals complaining when people asked to put the bar down on the chair? WTF?

Personally I find having the bar down and my feet on the pegs to be less comfortable than having my legs swinging freely beneath me and with the bar down it is impossible to leave your feet dangling b/c the pegs push your legs back.

Maybe they were doing it to be cool, maybe they find it uncomfortable, maybe they had other reasons but it's important to remember what works for you doesn't always work for everyone else.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm thinking we should rename the "lose is not spelled loose" thread, to "lightning is not spelled lightening" :P:roflmao:
Must have been spell check!

light·en·ing
Dictionary result for lightening
/ˈlītniNG/
noun
  1. a drop in the level of the uterus during the last weeks of pregnancy as the head of the fetus engages in the pelvis.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Must have been spell check!

light·en·ing
Dictionary result for lightening
/ˈlītniNG/
noun
  1. a drop in the level of the uterus during the last weeks of pregnancy as the head of the fetus engages in the pelvis.

I think "Ikon the lightening rod" would be a very different thread.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Personally I find having the bar down and my feet on the pegs to be less comfortable than having my legs swinging freely beneath me and with the bar down it is impossible to leave your feet dangling b/c the pegs push your legs back.

Maybe they were doing it to be cool, maybe they find it uncomfortable, maybe they had other reasons but it's important to remember what works for you doesn't always work for everyone else.

Dopplemayr now has a new footrest design that you would love. There is a peg that extends off the safety bar that goes between your legs and then extends down to your feet with a 4" by 4" triangle at its end. You then place one ski on each side of the bar on a corner of the triangle. So if you are a snowboarder there is no 10" footrest that is difficult for a boarder to get on or off and if no foot rest is wanted, then there is nothing to get in your way. Brilliant, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.