• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah IKON pass ski tour 2020

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
A little over a month ago, I drove from NC to California, where I had never skied, and began my IKON ski tour at Mammoth Mountain. Last year's snow reports lured me there, and I'm glad I went. Mammoth has a lot of various terrain and magnificent views. Looking back from chair 13 on the backside, I could see the crater of the volcano I was skiing on. From there, on to Tahoe and Squaw Valley, an even greater mountain. Driving to Salt Lake City took a day, but I stayed there for ten days. A friend flew out and skied Solitude, Brighton, Deer Valley, and Alta with me. We benefitted from the storm at the beginning of the week. Fresh stashes could be found throughout the week, especially in the Lady Morgan area of Deer Valley.

Colorado was the next stop, with three days at Aspen to ski four mountains. The Bell Mountain area on Aspen mountain was very sweet to me. Finally, almost a week in Idaho Springs let me ski Copper, Winter Park, and Arapahoe Basin. Another ski buddy came out to join me for this last leg, and we were at Copper and Silverthorne for two days while I-70 East was closed. Slept in a Red Cross shelter in our ski gear and skied again the next day, in the deepest powder of my life. Three times I was stuck in powder up to my chest. Should have rented wide boards for the day, but still a wonderful day to be out skiing.

Back home after a 30-hour, 2,000-mile drive, I skied Sugar today. Crowded and loud. Home sweet home.

Sponsor

Staff online