• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ikon Pass Extends Dates with Offering Double Renewal Discounts and Adventure Assurance

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But by January or February, you should know how the skiing, AND traveling will be like.

Anyone who’s not comfortable traveling by then, there’s little reason to wait. It wouldn’t magically get back to normal by April. And even if it does, you only get to use it for 1/3 of the season. You’re better off deferring it to 21/22. What can one hope to gain by waiting till April?
This is just a very minor optimization tactic for the minimaxers. You're right that likely it won't matter. We can flip your question around. If you know you aren't skiing, why would you elect to take the option earlier than the last date you really need to? What do you gain by electing early? There is always a small chance something changes which would change your mind and you use or ski on the pass only in april.
Unless you risk forgetting, or a new deal comes midway, if you're exercising early, you're giving away your timeoption for free. But to reiterate, I agree likely it won't matter.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
"What can one hope to gain by waiting till April?"

You never know when that perfect storm will align for you. Best day ever might result. Worth it!

Eric
The perfect storm won’t do you much good if you can‘t get to it.

This was in the context of IKON, and the need to travel to get to an IKON resort.

But suppose you live next to the resort. But for whatever reason (whatever that can be I can’t guess) you didn’t use it by February, will that reason goes away in the next month or two?

And if you didn’t think the pass is worth using (or able to use it) by February, will you use it enough to make it worthwhile in the remainder of the season?

Oh, that perfect storm? You can buy a day ticket for it and come out ahead.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
This is just a very minor optimization tactic for the minimaxers. You're right that likely it won't matter. We can flip your question around. If you know you aren't skiing, why would you elect to take the option earlier than the last date you really need to? What do you gain by electing early? There is always a small chance something changes which would change your mind and you use or ski on the pass only in april.
Actually, this lead to an interesting question.

IKON has historically been selling passes with spring benefits.

Say, you deferred your pass to 21/22 in January. In February, a vaccine came out. Then IKON goes on sale in March with spring benefit of able to ski some resorts immediately. You have an inside track (“vulnerable population“?) to get vaccinated by early March. Does that “deferred” pass allow you to start skiing in mid-March?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can come up with a convoluted scenario. Again it likely isnt going to matter, but theres also no loss on waiting so why not wait.
I fully acknowledge how ridiculous the following may be and the # of people it applies to is near zero.

Say you were not planning on skiing and deferring to 22 and you knew this in Feb.
But then it comes out in March that your college admissions scam side hustle you were running got uncovered and you will be going to jail in July for a year.
Time to go skiing before you get locked up for the year. Good thing you didn't defer your pass earlier than when you needed to.
Maybe the least of your worries.
A similar vein is you are diagnosed with some incurable terminal disease and your 1year plans are out the window and you now need to switch to bucketlist mode to go skiing before you get really sick.

There was a real case of a guy in a related scenario who was diagnosed with cancer and raised a fuss that vr didnt give him a passrefund as he didnt pay the $20 for pass insurance. He pushed it and made it onto news and tv segments. So it is not unknown for people to get mad over $999 even when you are dying and have huge other affairs 10x more important to get in order. Perhaps this is more about just lashing out as part of the grief cycle of denial/anger/ bargaining before he reached acceptance.

For your other scenario on spring benefits, we discussed this before in this thread, but yes. From their positioning, I would expect the deferral should be as if you never bought the pass so your credit is available to use whenever passes are on sale including spring purchase. However, the big assumption is whether they will offer this same spring-skiing benefit next year. If capacity is still limited likely they wont offer a spring benefit to new/deferral purchasers, or the benefit will be for much later dates.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, my comprehension skills seem to be at an all-time low. TO June 17 is not the same as THROUGH June 17. D'oh! I shot IKON an email to see if they can help me out but I understand if they don't. In my defense the website still had the reduced rates showing this morning but once in the cart they disappeared. I took a screenshot and attached to the email. We'll see what happens.
Update: IKON did me right even though it was my mistake. Passes will be purchased.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyone else get an IKON pass installment payment email with the wrong last 4 digits of a credit card? Yes, they almost immediately sent a followup message acknowledging the error and with the correct digits, but this doesn't instill confidence..... :doh:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone else get an IKON pass installment payment email with the wrong last 4 digits of a credit card? Yes, they almost immediately sent a followup message acknowledging the error and with the correct digits, but this doesn't instill confidence..... :doh:

Same here.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got one too

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I got that today. Weird...I'm just hoping I made the right decision to go for the payment plan. Exchange rate etc..I'm still waiting on refunds/insurance claims on some flights, so disposable income is tight, but could have been done...

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I renewed the Base Pass no thanks to Ikon's stupidity.

They bombard my email twice a week with renewal adds but when I go online to renew they say my email
is not on file. They had to reset something. Brilliant !

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I renewed the Base Pass no thanks to Ikon's stupidity.

They bombard my email twice a week with renewal adds but when I go online to renew they say my email
is not on file. They had to reset something. Brilliant !
Gotta love how some people thought they would have it more together than Vail..... definitely worse than Vail as far as being organized although they are relatively new. Still, where are all the Vail haters that were weirdly pro Alterra these days? All those people can't suddenly be quarantining in caves?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can anyone explain these options in plain English? We have read it a bunch of times and are flummoxed. Didn't the original plan let you defer the whole thing for any reason to next year if you decided not to use it by some time in October?
20200830_175727.jpg

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, I believe early on there was some other date. I not sure what that date was but I know Copper changed in a similar way.

Here is the gotcha now for Ikon.

An Adventure Assurance deferral to the 21/22 winter season is only available for 20/21 Ikon Passes and Friends & Family vouchers that have not been scanned or used for any kind of access to any Ikon Pass destination after June 4, 2020. Any use of the pass during Northern Hemisphere summer 2020 or Southern Hemisphere winter 2020 will be considered used and will not be eligible for an Adventure Assurance deferral.

Does this mean if you used your pass for a summer scenic lift ride or to go hiking it is considered "used"? Sounds like it.

Here is some added stuff that probably doesn't help much

Added Assurance Due to Possible COVID-19 Closures*

Should any eligible Ikon Pass destination close due to COVID-19 between December 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021, Ikon Pass holders will receive a proportional credit towards any 21/22 Ikon Pass.
Whether you have a favorite destination or you are planning on traveling to several next winter, you can be assured that you’re covered. The All Destinations election has been automatically selected for you. If you choose to change your election, you will have the option to do it online between September 10, 2020 and October 1, 2020 in My Account.
CHOOSE ALL DESTINATIONS
If any eligible Ikon Pass destination closes due to COVID-19 for 1 day, all days or anywhere in between, between December 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021, you will receive a proportional credit based on the percentage of those days closed during that time period. Your credit will be applied automatically to any 21/22 Ikon Pass.
PRODUCT COVERAGE: 20/21 Ikon Pass, Ikon Base Pass, Ikon Base Plus Pass

CHOOSE ONE ELIGIBLE DESTINATION
If the one eligible pass destination you select is closed at least 7 consecutive days or 21 total days between Dec 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021 due to COVID-19, you will receive a credit based on the percentage of those days closed during that time period. The credit can be applied to any 21/22 Ikon Pass.
PRODUCT COVERAGE: Ikon Pass, Ikon Base Pass, Ikon Base Plus Pass

ADVENTURE ASSURANCE EXAMPLES

SCENARIO 1SCENARIO 2SCENARIO 3
CLOSUREIf all Destinations close due to COVID-19 for 100% of the days between December 10, 2020 and April, 2021.If 15 of 36 destinations close due to COVID-19 for 100% of the days between December 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021. The One Eligible Destination you elected was only closed for 5 days.If 1 of the 36 eligible destinations closes due to COVID-19 for 35% of the days between December 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021. This closed destination is the One Eligible Destination you elected.
ALL
DESTINATIONS

Your COVID-19 Credit Toward
a 21/22 Ikon Pass
100% of the price you paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass42% of the price you paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass1% of the price you paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass
OROROR
SINGLE
DESTINATION

Your COVID-19 Credit Towards
a 21/22 Ikon Pass
100% of the price you paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass0% of the price you paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass35% of the price you paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Can anyone explain these options in plain English? We have read it a bunch of times and are flummoxed. Didn't the original plan let you defer the whole thing for any reason to next year if you decided not to use it by some time in October?
View attachment 109058
These options are only assuming you don't defer the whole thing to the 21/22 season. If you don't do that, then one of these two options takes effect. You have the option to defer the enitre pass cost toward a 21/22 pass, if you haven't used it at all, up to April 11th, 2021.

"For any reason, if you don’t use your 20/21 Ikon Pass, you will have the option to defer the purchase price paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass toward the purchase of a 21/22 Ikon Pass using the new Zero-Day Credit - no questions asked. You can now make this decision between September 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021."

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I believe early on there was some other date. I not sure what that date was but I know Copper changed in a similar way.

Here is the gotcha now for Ikon.

An Adventure Assurance deferral to the 21/22 winter season is only available for 20/21 Ikon Passes and Friends & Family vouchers that have not been scanned or used for any kind of access to any Ikon Pass destination after June 4, 2020. Any use of the pass during Northern Hemisphere summer 2020 or Southern Hemisphere winter 2020 will be considered used and will not be eligible for an Adventure Assurance deferral.

Does this mean if you used your pass for a summer scenic lift ride or to go hiking it is considered "used"? Sounds like it.

Here is some added stuff that probably doesn't help much

Added Assurance Due to Possible COVID-19 Closures*

Should any eligible Ikon Pass destination close due to COVID-19 between December 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021, Ikon Pass holders will receive a proportional credit towards any 21/22 Ikon Pass.
Whether you have a favorite destination or you are planning on traveling to several next winter, you can be assured that you’re covered. The All Destinations election has been automatically selected for you. If you choose to change your election, you will have the option to do it online between September 10, 2020 and October 1, 2020 in My Account.
CHOOSE ALL DESTINATIONS
If any eligible Ikon Pass destination closes due to COVID-19 for 1 day, all days or anywhere in between, between December 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021, you will receive a proportional credit based on the percentage of those days closed during that time period. Your credit will be applied automatically to any 21/22 Ikon Pass.
PRODUCT COVERAGE: 20/21 Ikon Pass, Ikon Base Pass, Ikon Base Plus Pass

CHOOSE ONE ELIGIBLE DESTINATION
If the one eligible pass destination you select is closed at least 7 consecutive days or 21 total days between Dec 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021 due to COVID-19, you will receive a credit based on the percentage of those days closed during that time period. The credit can be applied to any 21/22 Ikon Pass.
PRODUCT COVERAGE: Ikon Pass, Ikon Base Pass, Ikon Base Plus Pass

ADVENTURE ASSURANCE EXAMPLES

SCENARIO 1SCENARIO 2SCENARIO 3
CLOSUREIf all Destinations close due to COVID-19 for 100% of the days between December 10, 2020 and April, 2021.If 15 of 36 destinations close due to COVID-19 for 100% of the days between December 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021. The One Eligible Destination you elected was only closed for 5 days.If 1 of the 36 eligible destinations closes due to COVID-19 for 35% of the days between December 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021. This closed destination is the One Eligible Destination you elected.
ALL
DESTINATIONS

Your COVID-19 Credit Toward
a 21/22 Ikon Pass
100% of the price you paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass42% of the price you paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass1% of the price you paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass
OROROR
SINGLE
DESTINATION

Your COVID-19 Credit Towards
a 21/22 Ikon Pass
100% of the price you paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass0% of the price you paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass35% of the price you paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass

Thank you both. That now makes sense. One for gypsies and one for local centric skiers. And if we think it looks bad or unsafe, we can choose not to use it at all and get 100% toward the following season.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid