• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My wife will send an email to them, hopefully others do the same. We bought 2 adult and 2 kid passes at the early rate, so I don't know how much the costco discount would have saved us.
Wasn't the early deal on the kids pass like $149? If so, I don't think it will be as good for you, let alone a break even.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wasn't the early deal on the kids pass like $149? If so, I don't think it will be as good for you, let alone a break even.

You are correct. We paid $1,798 for two adults and $398 for two kids = $2,196. With 20% off it would now cost us $2,474.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We already have planned for this year- no bookings, just options- so for now the base pass is still our best option. Next year however :huh:

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
I think the Ikon pass is a good deal for most of us. It would be nice to have the early bird full pass option at $800 but $600 for the base pass will save me some $$$ so I am happy. And good for those that can cash in on the full pass at $800, assuming that you have a Costco card.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think the Ikon pass is a good deal for most of us. It would be nice to have the early bird full pass option at $800 but $600 for the base pass will save me some $$$ so I am happy. And good for those that can cash in on the full pass at $800, assuming that you have a Costco card.
For what the full Ikon offers, we cannot justify the difference, even with the discount. At best, we might break even. Plus, we already used our pass at Mammoth so we are already ahead of the game.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Screwing early bird purchasers is not cool. Keep in mind that a lot of those people are season pass holders at Alterra resorts, so the spring skiing benefit does not apply to them (us).
They’re screwing themselves.

Come next year, people won’t buy early. They’ll wait for the Costco discount instead.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Come next year, people won’t buy early. They’ll wait for the Costco discount instead.

Or Altera will incorporate the Costco discount with the early bird special.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't give yourself ulcers over this. The reason why it feels so bad, is because it feels like you "lost" something which behaviorally hurts much more than the joy if you gained the same amount. You barely notice when you got something as a bonus but losing out even a little bit feels like a slap in the face.

There's no way of knowing if Alterra is going to do next year; they probably don't even know themselves. So you can't play the timing game, you can only just buy based on the info and offers available at the time.
They've already demonstrated a fixed pricing and operations isn't what they do like Vail's price promises.
For example, at the end of this season, Squaw ran promos and cut the prices of their 2 and 4packs which could make you mad if you paid higher price for that same product in early season, or the more skiers on slopes diluted your pass value. However, you got to remember the benefits of flexibility. So maybe you "lose out" a little from the optimum pricing; but alternatively they flexed operations to means extended seasons and not closing 1week past easter from a schedule determined in October;
As long as you buy into their koolaid that generally they are flexing operations and pricing fairly and matches yourmindset, you should be OK that things flex around and even though sometimes you may lose, remember that other times you gain.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Let's be happy that we are in the golden age of cheap ski pass consolidation. Just stay away from the $15 burgers and byob. All good things come to an end. Only time will tell if it's good for the long run.

And while some locals understandably bemoan the consoldiation, my family now has more money to spend in your town so it's not all bad.

icedevil

Booting up
Skier
It was available on the COSTCO website when I bought it, and now it can't be found, so unfortunately it's gone.

Ikon customer service said that the online Costco offer is over but the deal is still available in-person in certain Costco stores.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Ikon customer service said that the online Costco offer is over but the deal is still available in-person in certain Costco stores.

I saw plenty of the offers (cards) for sale in COSTCO on Sunday- so this seems to be true, you can still buy it in person.

carvemeister

Booting up
Skier
I saw plenty of the offers (cards) for sale in COSTCO on Sunday- so this seems to be true, you can still buy it in person.
Can you tell me where you saw them? (Although I'm sure you're 1,000 miles away from me). I just used the COSTCO Customer Service chat function to ask about where they might be available and they told me they could not find any information relating to in-store availability at all, anywhere. So, they're useless. I need to find one in the NY metro area. :(

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Can you tell me where you saw them? (Although I'm sure you're 1,000 miles away from me). I just used the COSTCO Customer Service chat function to ask about where they might be available and they told me they could not find any information relating to in-store availability at all, anywhere. So, they're useless. I need to find one in the NY metro area. :(

I was in the Summerlin, NV (Las Vegas) store....so probably not much help. Sorry about that.
I can't even offer to run over there for you and pick one up, because I left for Europe Monday.

Sponsor

Staff online