• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

IKON Pass Announces Current Plans for Winter 2020-2021

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great @Ron , if Ikon set up reservations for the ‘Boat(or guaranteed acces), maybe my family can join you and @jmeb there in days when the resort seems too busy, despite their restrictions.
At least if you don’t mind K2‘s and a pair of Fischers trailing along behind the Protests

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have not seen anything on this, and am wondering if it will still be valid?

25% OFF FOR FRIENDS & FAMILY
Adventure better together with 10 lift tickets at 25% off of the window rate, at participating destinations.
I think those just count as daypasses, so subject to the restrictions on those.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The meadow is mellow -- around 10-14%. The meadow to the east is between 17-26 (it's a DEM layer I built for finding sub-avy terrain). Both skiable though the meadow would be better with a 4-6" rather than a foot.
10-14% grade? I assume that’s a typo and you mean Degrees right?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
yes, im sure, its the epitome of meadow skipping terrain, as @jmeb posted, the other meadow is shorter but def more pitch, and there's another shorter meadow above the first one.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm still wondering what kind of nightmare is going to happen if IKON does some type of all inclusive ski resort reservation systems. I'd definitely anticipate MANY bugs in the system. What do they have probably two kids building their first reservation system? I'd guess the bugs will be worked out by next Oct. 2021

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
What do they have probably two kids building their first reservation system?

Not sure why you would expect this. They are implementing a reservation system that has to work flexible across a broad range of resorts with unique business rules (unlike Vails one-size-fits-all model except for capacity limits.) It's not spun up in house by some random IT dudes, they hire this stuff out to https://www.skidata.com/en-us/ which runs far more of the type of systems than any other organization.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Most Ikon Pass destinations do not require reservations at this time for lift access to the 38 North American Ikon Pass destinations for winter 20/21. While these unprecedented times and rapidly evolving circumstances may cause plans to change without notice, currently most Ikon Pass destinations feel confident they can elevate the guest experience and eliminate the need for lift access reservations by addressing social distancing concerns through other operational changes.
I'm still wondering what kind of nightmare is going to happen if IKON does some type of all inclusive ski resort reservation systems.
I'm surprised when people keep talking about the reservation systems.
As noted in the press release Most IKON Pass destinations do not require reservations at this time for lift access.

It is my estimation that they are tryng to control social distancing in lift mazes, restaurants/bars, locker rooms, etc.

The resorts with the 5 or 7 days on an IKON may have some kind of reservation, but that is yet to be determined and is probably going to be set by the resort, not Alterra.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
The resorts with the 5 or 7 days on an IKON may have some kind of reservation, but that is yet to be determined and is probably going to be set by the resort, not Alterra.

Thats what I'm thinking too! Steamboat said they will be coming out with a statement in a few days.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
As noted in the press release Most IKON Pass destinations do not require reservations at this time for lift access.

Because -- at the end of the day -- a press release is a press release. It's intended to spin media reporting in a direction. "Most" destinations is technically true, but it obscures more than it tells.

"Most" doesn't matter to people who buy an Ikon as their local ski pass. According to the release, only 1 of 4 of the Front Ranger Ikon mountains requires reservations. In reality, 3 of 4 do -- just through the vehicle of parking reservations. The 4th mountain (Winter Park) is likely just a matter of time -- unlikely Front Range is going to have a just one resort on a mega-pass with no form of capacity limitations sustainably.

"Most" doesn't matter to people planning destinations at Jackson, or Big Sky, or Summit County (Abasin/Copper), or Taos.

"Most" is just at one point in time. A marketing team knows they want to get the media coverage when they can say "most". It may very well remain that way by December. It may look entirely different once Aspen announces or local authorities decide on final capacity numbers that end up requiring them.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
is that like "many people" ;)

I'll give them that "most" at least means "greater than fifty percent".

But that also means you're counting Jackson as a 1 to 1 with Boyne Mountain.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Because -- at the end of the day -- a press release is a press release. It's intended to spin media reporting in a direction. "Most" destinations is technically true, but it obscures more than it tells.

"Most" doesn't matter to people who buy an Ikon as their local ski pass. According to the release, only 1 of 4 of the Front Ranger Ikon mountains requires reservations. In reality, 3 of 4 do -- just through the vehicle of parking reservations. The 4th mountain (Winter Park) is likely just a matter of time -- unlikely Front Range is going to have a just one resort on a mega-pass with no form of capacity limitations sustainably.

"Most" doesn't matter to people planning destinations at Jackson, or Big Sky, or Summit County (Abasin/Copper), or Taos.

"Most" is just at one point in time. A marketing team knows they want to get the media coverage when they can say "most". It may very well remain that way by December. It may look entirely different once Aspen announces or local authorities decide on final capacity numbers that end up requiring them.
If there is going to be an universal resort reservation system, then I'd expect no company to be able to build/adjust/test a fully functional system by this current ski year. I'd expect many bugs to be worked out as the 2020 ski panned out if there's going to be a ski year

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Maybe "many" of the front rangers are facing something different than we are in Tahoe
I'm just glad that there will be a ski season. I feel pretty bummed about the South America season. So much snow and no one skiing it.
From the Squaw announcement.
I'm not sure why such a different plan but...
Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows 2020-21 Winter Operations Update

From Ron Cohen, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows President and Chief Operating Officer.

“Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows intends to serve its guests without a reservation system. Pass holders will continue to have the best and most flexible access to the resort. We plan to manage general visitation by temporarily eliminating the sale of “walk up” tickets at the window, and dynamically controlling the sale of advance purchase tickets. At this time, we expect such tickets to primarily be available midweek, but we will remain flexible as we learn more throughout the season.”

“Our priorities right now are providing space for social distancing at our two mountains, and remaining flexible in the face of the inevitable changes to come throughout the season. While elements of the resort experience will be different this season, the experience of skiing and snowboarding itself remains the same. Skiing has always had at its center the incredible personal freedom one experiences while engaged in the sport, balanced against the personal responsibility of sharing the slopes with everyone else. This year more than ever, our guests will need to carry both sides of that equation with them, so that everyone can have the best possible experience within a Covid-modified environment. That feeling of freedom in the outdoors is something we are all craving now more than ever. We look forward to making that happen for our guests this coming season.”

“Every corner of our business is totally immersed in preparing for this special season. We will continue to communicate as we have more concrete information available.”

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If there is going to be an universal resort reservation system, then I'd expect no company to be able to build/adjust/test a fully functional system by this current ski year. I'd expect many bugs to be worked out as the 2020 ski panned out if there's going to be a ski year
But IKON and Alterra isn't a universally run ski company like Epic.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
well, as @jmeb posted, we already know that Copper is reserved parking and Abasin will have a reservation system, I have not heard from Steamboat. I have a hard time imagining the usual crowd around XMAS without some kind of way to throttle capacity

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

You seem to think this is being built from scratch. It's not, it's being adapted from existing products that already function around the world.

It'll be built on a system similar to what I bought my ski pass on in Europe where I selected 5 days, got dynamic demand-based pricing for each days, and my card was automatically valid at multiple resorts only on those days.

But IKON and Alterra isn't a universally run ski company like Epic.

But IKONs ticket reservation system is going to be the same. It's going to be through the Ikon website and launches on Nov 9. Alterra is providing the infrastructure to handle this, but the variability in policy is due to the individual mountains still having control.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
well, as @jmeb posted, we already know that Copper is reserved parking and Abasin will have a reservation system, I have not heard from Steamboat. I have a hard time imagining the usual crowd around XMAS without some kind of way to throttle capacity

I have trouble imaging the usual crowd around XMAS this year. I'm not convinced they will materialize.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier

And a popular destination like Big Sky has X number of days depending on which Ikon you have and blackout dates. Now they announce volume control will be the Ikon pass and MCP. I would have to do some serious thinking and planning if I would be making it a destination this winter on Ikon.

I'm not so sure we know exactly what will happen for us but I have a feeling there could be more to come. Probably will be a Summit thing and not necessarily a Copper or A Basin thing. Who knows? I also am just glad there will be skiing.

Big Sky Season Passholders are welcome to access the resort any day of the season their pass is valid, at any time during operating hours, and walk up to the lifts as usual.
  • ikon Passholders can ski when their passes permit access and must use Ikon's reservation system to let us know when they plan to visit. If we need to address volume, there may be a limit on how many Ikon passholders can access the mountain during specific days of the season.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I have trouble imaging the usual crowd around XMAS this year. I'm not convinced they will materialize.

well, if the crowds we had here in town during July and august are any indication, I dont foresee a significant decrease but I guess it all depends if we get a second bounce on covid.

Sponsor

Staff online