• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

IKON PASS ADVENTURE ASSURANCE PROGRAM
ALL 2020/2021 IKON PASS PRODUCT PURCHASES MAY BE DEFERRED FOR PASS HOLDER CREDIT TOWARDS A WINTER 2021/2022 IKON PASS PRODUCT PURCHASE
Holders of any 20/21 Ikon Pass product are entitled to Adventure Assurance. Adventure Assurance enables all purchases of 20/21 Ikon Pass products to be bought with confidence, knowing the pass holder can defer use of their 20/21 pass product and elect to exchange it for a credit to be applied toward their purchase of any single Ikon Pass product offered for sale for the 21/22 winter season. The amount of the credit will be equal to the amount paid for the pass holder deferred 20/21 Ikon Pass product (less any amounts paid for pass insurance, if applicable, which will be applied to 21/22 pass insurance).

Any 20/21 Ikon Pass product purchase may be deferred in exchange for a credit to use on a 21/22 winter season Ikon Pass product, subject to the following terms and conditions:

• Pass deferral requests must be received by Ikon Pass, Inc. between September 10 and December 10, 2020. A deferral request may be made by either the pass purchaser or the adult pass holder of any 20/21 Ikon Pass product. In each case, the associated credit will only be issued to the actual pass holder (who may not be the pass purchaser) of the deferred 20/21 Ikon Pass product.
  • Adventure Assurance is only available for Ikon Pass products that are unused at the time of the deferral request. A pass product is “unused” if the pass or the Friends and Family vouchers, associated with the pass, have not been scanned or used to access any Ikon Pass resort location after March 15, 2020.
  • Credit for each deferred 20/21 Ikon Pass product will be applied to the account profile of the actual pass holder whose name is associated with the applicable deferred 20/21 Ikon Pass product, and will be available for use towards that passholder’s purchase of any one 21/22 Ikon Pass product. Credit is non-transferable.
  • Credit amount cannot be redeemed for cash value and no refunds will be issued if the 21/22 Ikon Pass products purchased are less than the amount of the 20/21 Ikon Pass product credit.
  • If there is a price difference between the credit amount issued for the 20/21 Ikon Pass product and the Ikon Pass product purchased for the 21/22 winter season for whatever reason, including price increases, pass holder age or eligibility for certain discounts, the purchaser will be required to pay the price difference. Ikon Pass, Inc. will not issue partial refunds or credits if the cost of the 21/22 Ikon Pass product is less than the credit amount.
  • Credit amount cannot be applied toward an individual resort mountain pass or ticket product. The credit amount may only be used for the purchase of a 21/22 Ikon Pass product, and any unused credits will expire at such time as 21/22 winter season Ikon Pass products are no longer available for sale.
  • The Adventure Assurance Program is only available on 20/21 Ikon Pass product purchases that are paid in full at the time of the deferral request. Pass holders enrolled in the 20/21 Ikon Pass payment plan may only defer their purchase in exchange for a credit toward the purchase of a 21/22 Ikon Pass product, if all payments are paid in full either prior to or at the time of the deferral request.
  • There is no fee associated with the Adventure Assurance Program. Other than as expressly stated here, in the Adventure Assurance Program, all terms and conditions applicable to Ikon Pass product purchases remain in full force and effect and Ikon Pass products paid in full continue to be non-refundable.
  • 20/21 Ikon Pass products will not be available for purchase after December 10, 2020.
  • All deferrals of 20/21 Ikon Pass products are final. A pass holder who has deferred their 20/21 Ikon Pass product may use their 20/21 credit to repurchase a 20/21 Ikon Pass product before the date that 20/21 Ikon Pass products go off sale, however the pass holder will be responsible for paying any price difference that may be incurred based on current prices at the time of purchase.
More information on how to defer your Ikon Pass will be available in the coming months.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ikon is trouncing Epic in marketing passes for next winter. Epic offers nothing like this deferral. By the way, pass insurance does not cover a shut-down as we've had.
Epic pass insurance

It's only April 22. There's some time-dilation going on because we're not out skiing.

Some big name resorts said f it and just said we're not going to even announce a new pass plan until June when things are clearer.
The Epic passes are only on sale because they already started sales so they can't just turn it off now, but they can just pause everything by taking off the deadline. If you really want to give them full boat for a pass, they will take your money. Epicpass furloughed their entire callcenter; they're not really focused on marketing anything right now; rather saving cash. It doesn't make sense to market if they don't have enough information yet to say what they might change.

The Ikon situation I think was different because they had a April deadline already posted up in emails and announcements, and so they had to say something before the deadline, and when they did say something it turned even more toxic so they had to say something more.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The Ikon situation I think was different because they had a April deadline already posted up in emails and announcements, and so they had to say something before the deadline, and when they did say something it turned even more toxic so they had to say something more.
IKON can remove the deadline to “pause” the sale too,, if they so choose.

I see the offer as a definite marketing move. They want your money, they want it now. Well, no later than end of May. So you’d better starting thinking about it!

But there’s a pretty significant difference on who the 2 passes approach its spring sale in years past.

- IKON allows pass to be used in spring. Epic doesn’t
- IKON raise its price by a noticeable amount once the deadline is past. Epic only takes away the buddy pass.

It’s clear to me Epic doesn’t rely on spring sale nearly as heavily as Ikon does. It doesn’t surprise me Epic isn’t in a hurry to come out with any offer right now. As most epic pass buyers aren’t too eager to part with their money when there’s no much to lose by waiting.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You make good points, but let's see, VR promised an update by End of April.

I think my point still holds that time is perceived different now, it's only been 5days since Ikon announced a new plan and VR hasn't really missed their deadline either and still have a week. Don't jump to conclusions.

Before ikon released this update, for about a week, people were saying it's clear Ikon doesn't care at all and pushing all the risk onto the buyers blah blah blah so on too; then like 3days later that all changed.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On april 1 vail said they would share more pass details by the end of the month

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm not very happy about having to pay the (possible) price difference if I defer. That changes the equation significantly. Do they want my money now or not?

Last edited:

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I'm not very happy about having to pay the (possible) price difference if I defer. That changes the equation significantly. Do they want my money now or not?
Wait, it’s actually worse...

If you’re renewing, there’s a pretty attractive “discount” for 20/21 pass.

But if you defer, you lose that discount. (Because only the actual amount you pay gets applied to next season’s pass).

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A company offers discounts, extensions of deadlines and other incentives when they perceive it will increase sales. If they can comfortably predict a certain amount of sales without incentives, they don't offer them.

VR may not offer as many incentives/ deadline extensions as Ikon if they annually sell that many more passes. IIRC Epic pass sales are quite a bit more than Ikon pass sales. Does anyone know the respective numbers? I seem to recall Epic pass sales approaching 1 million, and Ikon sales maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of that (at the start of the 2019-2020 season they reported they exceeded their goal of 250,000).

But I guess we'll see what they do.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
You make good points, but let's see, VR promised an update by End of April.

I think my point still holds that time is perceived different now, it's only been 5days since Ikon announced a new plan and VR hasn't really missed their deadline either and still have a week. Don't jump to conclusions.

Before ikon released this update, for about a week, people were saying it's clear Ikon doesn't care at all and pushing all the risk onto the buyers blah blah blah so on too; then like 3days later that all changed.

It changed because of the bad marketing misfire and the blah blah blah not out of the generosity of Alterra's heart. Someone at the top signed off on the non refundable message originally then realised the error of their ways.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My kids soccer team is taking a similar tact with credits and has softened their tone over the last few weeks. At this point they have decided to offset the planned price increase with "credits" from unspecified tournament and training venue refunds. I am happy they are continuing to pay the coaches however some parents will expect more transparency and some will not be able to pay due to job losses. Other clubs have folded so we are happy to work with them.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interview with Alterra CEO Rusty Gregory here.

IkonPass discussion at 32:30.
Points related to the Ikonpass:
  • Hint that some more ikonpass pass changes/improved offering coming in not too distant future [assume before the May 26 deadline?]
  • a lot of other discussion indicating he is aware of everything mentioned; but no concrete details leaked.
  • May26 deadline likely won't change as a transition to "next phase"; but no details what "next phase" will be (perhaps upcoming announcement may make this moot)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Just listened to the pass bit with Rusty. Great that they are actively taking feedback amd tweaking along the way. Too bad I feel that skiing in the US is just going to be in a too difficult bucket for me next winter - if passes and airlines are a big unknown just imagine what travel insurance looks like....

Sponsor