• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
This thread has now officially joined the long long long long long list of things that are over my head. (Most of them have to do with pop culture or sports references.)

Tony, its pretty simple, you want a pack of useless stickers and patches or not. :huh:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be glad just to get an email that said "use your last year's pass. If you tossed it, let us know". As for the bling, meh. Not necessary. Maybe a bottle opener in lieu of all the stickers and patches. Or stickers for every associated area, not just an IKON sticker.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tony, its pretty simple, you want a pack of useless stickers and patches or not. :huh:

I was alluding to Viking9's post, of which I understood only a bit.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I got my pile of crap today. I like the look of last years pass better and they didn't send me a lanyard this time. I might keep the "yeti" sticker but I'm going to pass on the rest to someone who will appreciate it. Some people, especially those with kids, can't get enough of it.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was thinking of bumper style stickers:

Ikon : Suck it princess*

Ikon : Powder to the plebs (Che Guavara fist logo)

Ikon: So sorry, did my roost ruin your groom?

Ikon: I'll just douche this up with some gapery

* Not meant in any MeToo or Homophobic context so that one might be a bit harder
I was thinking about making IDGAFIYL(I don't give a f*** if you're local) stickers.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I see no reason that they can't just reload last year's pass. Mammoth has been doing so that years - even Big Bear has been doing that. Rusty can show them how. As for bling ... Big Bear is not RFID so I would like a lanyard. It seems the more obvious choice to me. Luckily ... I have my pugski lanyard!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And no I’m not giving any of you my address, except for maybe Steve.

I have Steve's address. I'll send mine to them to send on to you.

In all seriousness, @Ron is right, it all adds up. Not only is it a pack of stickers but there is a carbon footprint to print and deliver them as well. I really wish they would give an option to receive the packet and new pass or use the old one.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Time to throw out the Renoun swag that get sent with every pair skis in protest. Thought giving up those plastic drink straws showed correct amount of concern. Chucking out the IKON pass with the swag will save the most carbon.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We aren't the market for these little swag packs. Could they have an opt out button when you renew? Maybe. Maybe that is a better suggestion to send into Ikon verses lambasting them for trying to do something nice.

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
While I do think they may have gone above and beyond in the swag arena, it's in the nature of the ski and outdoor industry. I don't remember the last time I ordered something from the outdoor industry and didn't receive a sticker with my order...Backcountry,com, Kuhl, Moosejaw, Clif, Black Diamond, Smith, the list goes on.

It's marketing material and cheap advertising, even if only a 1/4 of the people that receive it put it on their helmet, skis, snowboards, Thule box, local gas station pump, etc I would think the number of sticker "views" would go down immensely if they offered an opt out button.

I completely agree with the environmental argument, but I also can understand where Alterra is coming from making this business decision to include a swag pack.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, last year people were complaining that the IKON pass came with only one lanyard per household. Now we're complaining that we have too much swag in the package.

While I agree that there should be an "opt out" box you can check, we need to remember that this is only year two and they are still in a learning curve.
I'm sure they sat in the board room with one person saying, "We have to send a bling package" while another person said, "A bling package won't be well received" while another person said, "Lets eliminate straws in the cafeterias at every associated resort, while another person said, "Where's my straw?"

We are not the average skier here. We are exceptional and we need to realize that many people who are receiving these bling packages are saying, "Wow, look at all this cool stuff"

James

Out There
Instructor
I was alluding to Viking9's post, of which I understood only a bit.
No knowledge needed! Fire up the outrage by getting off that protest line out at Saddleback Mt and join the Ikon Bling Outrage Patrol, IBOP.

Your meetings will be held at IHOP as most of their restaurants are recycled from the 70’s and they’re only one letter off the cause. To prove your not one of those new New Englanders, bring a jar of Fluff to spread on the pancakes.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, I liked the postcards.
Well, if 1) I could remember to take them along, 2) I had stamps, and 3) somewhere to mail them at a ski area without a long detour or scavenger hunt.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I hang my Ikon off an Epic lanyard because a) they wouldn't give me one last year and b) I want to parade my credentials as an uber douchebag who has definitely ruined it for everyone.

Thinking of getting some external backpack speakers and treating everyone on the mountain to my Essential Grime playlist.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Well, if 1) I could remember to take them along, 2) I had stamps, and 3) somewhere to mail them at a ski area without a long detour or scavenger hunt.

One of the reasons why Alta and Beaver Creek are class acts - free (promotional) postcards and they mail em for you.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We aren't the market for these little swag packs. Could they have an opt out button when you renew? Maybe. Maybe that is a better suggestion to send into Ikon verses lambasting them for trying to do something nice.

The carbon footprint of the lambasting thread is... ;)

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Agree, 100%. Want no bling, and its pretty bad looking bling, to say the least. Alterra has a HOST of branding challenges. As a ski marketing pro asked me over the weekend: "What's an Alterra?"

They need to create a brand identity and value for Alterra, but core to the plan is having all of the properties that they OWN retain what they describe as their own identity and "vibe." That's not that simple, IME. Create Alterra, but have the resorts retain their own individual brands. Are you....Steamboat....or Alterra? Same question for each one. How does this fit together? We want the local GM's to keep the vibe and persona alive, but we want it done this way.

And then it gets confusing with the pass partners. They are in for the pass, and out on the rest. The "What is an Alterra?" piece.

"What's an Ikon Pass? How does that play into all of this....long term?" Obviously it's generating predictable cash flow, and bring people into the fold.

I have a lot of faith the group running Alterra. But no doubt, based on some fairly high level conversations, I hear, they are building the plane, or refining it, as they fly it. It's almost all new ground. And still pretty new.

Pass Bling? While they have a team working on this issue of "locals" at their properties being pretty visibly hostile towards visitors skiing on an Ikon pass....and spending money in the local economy. Right now it sounds like most people want to take advantage of the pass, and to the degree they can....fly under the radar.

I would love to have seen the pitch and cost of the bling. $2.5-3 Million??

I disagree that Alterra has a branding problem because none of their customers should care about who or what Alterra is. Steamboat is different than Deer Valley is different than Mammoth. Let the individual brands breathe so that consumers can identify with the mountain that best aligns with their image of themselves. There's a degree of operational standardization, buying power and "minimum quality" that Alterra can bring to the resorts that will be beneficial to me as a skier (or as a shareholder) but I wouldn't waste any time or money on Alterra as a brand ... unless it's a investor relations play.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Got my swag packet last night in the mail. I don't mind getting the IKON swag. It sorta pisses me off that I should be reluctant to show it off for fear of reprisal from entitled local douchebags. Somehow I'll get by, first world problem.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

and 4) If I actually knew anyone's snail mail address anymore.

Sponsor