• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

If you were to get a tattoo, what would it be?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I hate tattoos. The human body and skin is beautiful as is.

Clothes are bad enough but you can change them with styles, your attitude or physical changes. Tattoos are forever. Or really expensive to remove. With side effects going in or on removal.

That butterfly turns into a 747 with aging. The barbed wire morphs into a fuzzy great wall of china. Who remembers those ancient things or clever Asian saying?

Don't do it!

Eric

Last time I posted, the thread was closed. Somehow my book review was too controversial. I hope my art critique isn't too abrasive.

But if it stops one tattoo...!

And GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

FWIW, I tell my kids the same thing but wouldn't judge others, even the folks with the ones that make me want to look the other direction.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How far away are we from technology where gifs and other moving animation could be welded to our skin?

Imagine this tattoo?

:daffy:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A tattoo thread with no tattoo pictures ? This is definitely a first world forum. Here's mine; Japanese style tiger and dragon that represents my journey through the martial arts.

No one else willing to share ?

View attachment 26829
That is really beautiful.
We have a friend who has a white tattoo of a Peony on her right shoulder and down her arm. She is very pale so it barely shows up, but it has special meaning to her.
Wish I could find the picture of it.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've also seen work on this side of the ocean with Kanji that's pretty much the equivalent of mangled english t-shirts I seen (and authored!) In Japan. Be careful with that one....

It's not just t-shirts or kanji - one does need to be careful:
usmc-smeper-fi-army-tattoo-design.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
However, try to put them where you don't need surgery...they are really hard to line up properly when sewing the skin back together:(.

Good point. Also, while I was diligent with sunscreen while visiting my parents / the beach in North Carolina, I forgot that spray stuff doesn't get under the bathing suit. Consequently I have a tiny blistering burn that crosses my shoulder tattoo. Not great. The one on my inner forearm isn't so much at risk; it's an area that doesn't get as sun-baked.

I saw a young lady today who had tattooed "sleeves" that we just incredibly detailed works of art. For now. Today. I wonder how they will age?

I mean, in the long run, we all look like wrinkled old men / newborn babies. I'm not a big fan of the slit look in the earlobes of older women who've worn dangly earrings all their life, but who am I to judge or care? We spend too much time worrying about what other people look like, anyway. The recent (not *so* new) fashion of stretching earlobes, with or without something in them, isn't my favorite, but it doesn't have to be. Then again, a previous co-worker of mine put motherboard-style capacitors in his, and that was pretty funny/cute.

I admit I always think of the criminal element in tattoo culture. Don't want any association with that.

Maybe it depends where you are? I would guess that something close to a third of the software engineers in Boulder have tattoos. Maybe more than half of the men under 40. Lots of sleeves, even.

A tattoo thread with no tattoo pictures ? This is definitely a first world forum. Here's mine; Japanese style tiger and dragon that represents my journey through the martial arts.

No one else willing to share ?

View attachment 26829

Trying to find photos from a while ago ... when they were fresh. Would be interesting to now do a before/after ...

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I don't "get" the tattoo thing, especially some of the creepier looking ones, but there are some beautiful works of art out there. I've slowly evolved past my prejudice over time and just accept I don't understand. However, try to put them where you don't need surgery...they are really hard to line up properly when sewing the skin back together:(.

Agreed, surgery, that is one of the reasons to get "permissions from docs". Noy because of the aestethics of a adly joined tattoo, rather, what if surgeons needs to reshuffle body parts, or need to stick a needle right in that place where the tattoo as been drawn? I hope I will never, ever need pervasive surgery as I had had, but in case, I would keep my skin "untattooed" to offer the widest range of options...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's not just t-shirts or kanji - one does need to be careful:
usmc-smeper-fi-army-tattoo-design.jpg

These are always hilarious.. But, it's not all the artist's fault. Don't they stencil or draw the outline of the image on the skin location to be inked FIRST then have the customer confirm that is what they want??? Just another reason this decision and execution should be done when 100% sober.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
These are always hilarious.. But, it's not all the artist's fault. Don't they stencil or draw the outline of the image to be inked FIRST then have the customer confirm that is what they want??? Just another reason this decision and execution should be done when 100% sober.

Reputable tattoo artists will not tattoo someone who comes in drunk to ask for a tattoo. I have a relative who got an extremely unfortunate tattoo while drunk and under the influence of friends. EXTREMELY unfortunate. He finally got it covered up, and the cover-up doesn't seem to be particularly meaningful for him, but it means he doesn't have to wear long sleeves at all times, as he did for years.

My artist did show me the original drawing, then the stencil, then the transfer on my skin, all before starting. (Using a mirror for the one on my shoulder). He also expressed a distaste for words, although I'm not quite sure why - I think it may have simply been that as the years go by, they become unintelligible. He definitely felt there was a minimum size for any given piece. He never hesitated to give me his unsolicited opinion about my ideas, which I very much appreciated. He's the expert. He changed the artwork I requested for my arm because from certain angles it looked a bit like ... well, he said eventually I would see it a certain way and could never un-see it. I'm happy with the artwork and haven't ever worried that it looked like something it wasn't meant to represent.

Absolutely, my tattoos are fading/spreading, although my understanding is that this also relates to the skill of the artist - and colors fade faster than black. I hope my forearm doesn't end up eventually looking like a faded blue blur, but whatcha gonna do? You know that whole quite about life not being about arriving at the finish line pristine.

I do think there is something to the idea that tattoos replace scars. There aren't a lot of people these days who get a lot of scars as part of everyday life. Life, at least in the US, is pretty tame. So maybe tattoos are an attempt to in some way create that experience of pain and permanent impact. Then again, I have plenty of scars, although none terribly disfiguring. I think the one on my shin right now is going to stay, though. Now I'll never be a foot model! ;-)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
-
I do think there is something to the idea that tattoos replace scars. There aren't a lot of people these days who get a lot of scars as part of everyday life. Life, at least in the US, is pretty tame. So maybe tattoos are an attempt to in some way create that experience of pain and permanent impact.-
Not all scars are on the outside, and I'll leave it at that. I'm not qualified, this is @David Chaus territory.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't they stencil or draw the outline of the image on the skin location to be inked FIRST then have the customer confirm that is what they want???

Beats me. I don't have ink, and I'm not actually planning to get any, but the thread subject is:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Beats me. I don't have ink, and I'm not actually planning to get any, but the thread subject is:

IF I were to get another tattoo, it would likely be either a snowflake design with some sort of indication of movement/tracks ... or something involving bicycle chain links.

Everything I can think of for the snowflakes would be a watercolor style, and I'm not sold on their longevity, so it may not happen.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I enjoy seeing tattoos on other folks. I particularly like the sleeve style. They aren't for me, though.

As someone else said, I've got scars. At the rate I'm going, I'd probably just eff up a tattoo anyway.

20170718_173748_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

That would have ruined a perfectly good sleeve.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If @Philpug and @Tricia do another K2 photo contest I'd get the K2 logo with the flag and fireworks in the background. Just so I'd have a better chance at winning! Seriously, I have a friend who got the GPS coordinates of his favorite place to get away. It's on the inside of his wrist. Pretty cool.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If @Philpug and @Tricia do another K2 photo contest I'd get the K2 logo with the flag and fireworks in the background. Just so I'd have a better chance at winning!
Quoted for future reference.

Seriously, I have a friend who got the GPS coordinates of his favorite place to get away. It's on the inside of his wrist. Pretty cool.

"If Found Return to: ______"

Sponsor