• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

If you thought Karen Carpenter was just a great voice

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Besides having one of the best voices in pop music history, Karen Carpenter was a fine drummer. Playboy had a readers' poll in 1975 that named her best rock drummer. The audio (and video) isn't the best but you'll get the gist.
Playboy Reader's Poll
1 .... Karen Carpenter
2 .... John Bonham
3 .... Ringo Starr
4 .... Keith Moon
5 .... Mick Fleetwood

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Her drum solos in We've Only Just Begun almost made me dedicate my life to drumming but my parents wouldn't let me get a set of drums.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hmmmm...

This could spark a long debate. Without disputing KC's ability as a drummer, it's a big call to class the Carpenters' music as rock.

As a teenager in the 70's, I regarded them as MOR. I wouldn't argue against anyone who claimed pop.

Then again, the music in that video is a long way different to what got airplay in 1970’s Australia. So what is really typical of The Carpenters? This video or MOR mush like Next To You or Top Of The World?

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Great voice, mostly mediocre material unfortunately.
Any drummer list that doesn't have Ginger Baker in the top five is fatally flawed.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep in mind it was a Playboy readers poll. In 1975 how many people actually "read the articles"?

As an aside, KC liked Led Zep and did play some of their songs in the studio. According to word on the street.

Sponsor