• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
If '18-'19 season had great snow, what can we say about the next '19-'20 season? I know that predicting weather that far in advance is fools errand but we can pontificate.

I'm afraid it will not be as good. But it will not be as awful as '17-'18 season.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
If '18-'19 season had great snow, what can we say about the next '19-'20 season? I know that predicting weather that far in advance is fools errand but we can pontificate.

I'm afraid it will not be as good. But it will not be as awful as '17-'18 season.

I suspect it's way too early to make much informed prediction for Nth Hemi snow 19/20.

In Australia we start to get some forecasts early April - this person (The Grasshopper) has been reasonably accurate the last 3 seasons that I've been paying attention. As you can read a number of factors are taken into account - it's not a simple is/isn't El Nino - however given the chaotic nature of the climate system there's large error bars.

2019 Australian Snow Season Outlook – Another bumper down under less likely as climate turns a little sour

Grasshopper does forecasts for Nth Hemi but you will have to wait some months.

You may spare a thought for us Sth Hemi folk - if we plan to ski Nth Hemi in 19/20 then we have to arrange the trips now, forecasts unseen.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
if we plan to ski Nth Hemi in 19/20 then we have to arrange the trips now, forecasts unseen.

Why is that? Can't you wait until fall like the rest of us? Of course, booking in, say, October, for a February trip isn't exactly fool-proof either.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Why is that? Can't you wait until fall like the rest of us? Of course, booking in, say, October, for a February trip isn't exactly fool-proof either.

Availability and take advantage of better lift pass, accom, airline deals.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Odds are it will be mediocre. As always, it could be amazing :crossfingers:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Other than March I didn't think this was a bad year at Whistler. Low elevation s ow was not as plentiful but we are still skiing to valley. Last day at Big White today. Was sunny but they were pretty optimistic in staying open this late. Not a great year for snow in
Okanogan.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
2018-2019 season => 0 ski days due to recovery from surgery, banner conditions where I had planned to be.

The Law of Perverse Justice would dictate that the 2019-2020 season will not be epic where I plan to be. I'm hoping this law will not be enforced.

TS
Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier

I don't know about "we" but I am foolish enough to look into hurricane season predictions as well..
Here is nugget I found today:
“If this current El Niño continues or strengthens, then the number of tropical storms and hurricanes will be near or below normal,” Kottlowski said. “If the El Niño weakens and goes neutral, the number of tropical storms and hurricanes could actually be higher than normal.”
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...9-atlantic-hurricane-season-forecast/70007852

So.... if El Niño strengthens, it's a win-win for below normal hurricane season and better than normal ski season. Fingers crossed...

Posaune

sliding
Skier
So.... if El Niño strengthens, it's a win-win for below normal hurricane season and better than normal ski season. Fingers crossed...

It means worse than normal around here. Let me break your fingers.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My local season was slightly below average snow fall and it melted out 3 weeks early. the 17-18 season was above average and lasted a full 4 weeks longer than normal.. I'm guessing next season will be perfectly on average and I still won't get to use the powder skis I bought for the 18-19 season.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester