• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Got it, will avoid MLK and Presidents week.
But if that's when people can go.....
Just plan a place that won't be as crowded.
Big Sky is big enough you won't see a lot of crowds.
Canada doesn't celebrate the same holidays
Utah is still great for lower elevation, but you may deal with crowds.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Why not Whistler? Easy flight from Europe to YVR. Same from east coast and CA. MLK weekend will be busy everywhere though.

The crowds at whistler are crazy that weekend. However, it ticks all the boxes. Easy shuttle, no rental car/van needed. Walk to or shuttle to lifts, huge vertical and terrain options, CAD pricing, international melting pot.

If on-site lodging isn't required, Calgary is only 90 to 120 minutes to some pretty great options as well.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
If you are looking at MLK or any other time, Go to Powder Mountain and Snowbasin. PM has lots of nice blues and greens, good for beginners and intermediates. Also has some more challenging but very skiable terrain like Powder Country and Cat skiing. PM almost always has good snow. It will be as uncrowded as you can get on MLK weekend or any other time. Snowbasin is also good for intermediates and seeing the lodges are almost worth the trip. The downside to PM is the drive up the mtn - it is a true mountain road. Get a 4 WD vehicle.
The next best place for crowds is Big cottonwood canyon - Brighton and Solitude. The best snow anywhere. Also need 4WD.
As Phil mentioned, Utah's resorts are at lower elevation than CO which can be nice.
We usually stay in the valley when skiing Utah, its cheaper and has more dining options.
Good luck.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Canadians don't have a holiday in January. But it will be cold!!

Canadians might not, but the entire Seattle metro area just down the road from W/BC does, and they love enjoying it across the border.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...and seeing the lodges are almost worth the trip...

People always say stuff like this (and I know it's a bit hyperbolic), but I was pretty unimpressed. I mean, it was nice compared to most, but didn't nearly meet the hype IMO. Maybe it was built-up too much. By all means, go to Snowbasin - I thought it was great. But not because of the lodges.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
lets not forget Snowbasin is now on Epic. I'm sure it will be a disaster film there on most weekends now. (just like my Cottonwood resorts!)

MLK weekend ,better off staying home and drinking

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
People are coming for Ireland and England for a long weekend? I missed that part till Fat Bob mentioned it. This does bring the New England into play which makes it a bit more central for everyone. And yes, if you can avoid the Holiday weekend, that woudl be very adventagous not just for crowds but also cost. Stowe would probably best for the non skiers in the bunch, maybe Killington next.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Three days is too short for a ski trip. If I was going to arrange this trip and keeping in mind that some members were flying from Europe, SLC would be my pick because of direct flights and close to mountain skiing. YVR has had massive immigration lines lately and getting from YVR to W/B can take take hours crawling across the metro on surface roads. To avoid some of the holiday crowds on MLK stay in Ogden and ski Snow Basin or Powder Mountain.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Calgary is a pretty cool spot and you really feel like you're somewhere different. Looks like there's a non stop from London to Calgary. How far is it from the city to the ski areas?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Calgary is a pretty cool spot and you really feel like you're somewhere different. Looks like there's a non stop from London to Calgary. How far is it from the city to the ski areas?

1.5 to 3 hours to the resorts with Banff as your home base. Sunshine and Lake Louise are close to Banff, Kicking Horse is another 75-90 minutes away.

If travel mid-week is possible, flights are cheaper and crowds are less. Flying in Saturday, skiing for three or four days Sunday to mid-week will avoid most crowds. That puts Whistler back on the table as well, as long as it's not a long holiday weekend.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
lets not forget Snowbasin is now on Epic. I'm sure it will be a disaster film there on most weekends now. (just like my Cottonwood resorts!)

MLK weekend ,better off staying home and drinking
Ja, I think you can bank on that! Snowbasin was getting pretty crowded before Epic.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier

Airport to:

Lake Louise is about 2 hours
1.5hrs to sunshine.
2:45 to castle
3:15 to Kicking Horse or Fernie (different directions though)
5 hours to revelstoke

Banff to:
Sunshine: 20 minutes
Louise 40 minutes
Kicking horse: 1:45

I would definitely recommend staying in Revelstoke or Fernie for those resorts.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
People are coming for Ireland and England for a long weekend? I missed that part till Fat Bob mentioned it. This does bring the New England into play which makes it a bit more central for everyone. And yes, if you can avoid the Holiday weekend, that woudl be very adventagous not just for crowds but also cost. Stowe would probably best for the non skiers in the bunch, maybe Killington next.

I noticed the people coming from Europe and then saw the OP suggested Tahoe - which is as close to his home as you can get.

Quebec gets my vote. Cold as you know what though.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The problem with the northeast on MLK is it can be horrible conditions, cold, traffic, crowds, and expensive. Cold is good because it thins the crowds somewhat.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January