• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
I will be spending my first year as a Deer Valley pashokder this year and am looking for a ski to both fill out the narrower end of my quiver and for daily use at DV. My existing quiver is composed of an Enforcer 93 (I love this ski) and Backland 108.

Knowing the conditions at DV I’d like this ski to have frontside chops but still capable in adventures of piste here and there. The ones on my list currently are the DPS F87, Blizzard Brahma, and Kastle fx 85. I consider myself a pretty advanced skier but not a speed demon and not the most technically proficient carver. I enjoy off piste terrain the most but recognize that if I spend my days at DV I’ll be on the groomers more often than not. I’m 6’3”, 215 lbs.

Thanks!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Since this seems popular to recommend, Head V10. I haven't been on it, but want to.

@cantunamunch, would I be correct on recommending it for the OP?

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd like to nominate the Stöckli Laser AX. I've had it on snow at DV, which seems to be its ideal habitat. It trenches the morning groomers on the Wasatch/Sultan side of the mountain and has enough all mountain chops to take it in the bumps under Empire. It's even capable in the Daly Chutes between storms. For storm and aprés storm skiing you have the Enforcers and Backlands. A Deer Valley three ski quiver.

Edit: Philpug beat me to the punch. Probably would have come in under the wire had I been typing on my desktop instead of the iPhone.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Christy's at Silver Lake typically has a great line-up on their wall with most of the popular brands as well as a few Indies and you can demo as many as you'd like in a day for one fee. Since they're practically on the snow it's really convenient. You might have to check the tunes a day or two before and ask them to tune any that might need it. The demo fee is the same as for one pair and applicable if you buy there. They are unusually price competitive given their market and location.

Nice suggestion by @cosmoliu and @Philpug as to the AX.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Since this seems popular to recommend, Head V10. I haven't been on it, but want to.

@cantunamunch, would I be correct on recommending it for the OP?

IMHO it doesn't quite have the top end of the other skis suggested - it would be fantastic at lower speeds, more compliant at like 15-25mph than even the AX - but it would get discombobulated at the bottom of a high speed cruise to the lift under someone OP's size.

To me, OP sounds more like a Monster candidate.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMHO it doesn't quite have the top end of the other skis suggested - it would be fantastic at lower speeds, more compliant at like 15-25mph than even the AX - but it would get discombobulated at the bottom of a high speed cruise to the lift under someone OP's size.

To me, OP sounds more like a Monster candidate.
Yeah, @Drahtguy Kevin found the limits of the V10. iTitan woudl be the suggested wide carver of choice from Head.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier

To me, OP sounds more like a Monster.
FIFY

While you were talking about a ski for a big guy, the term "Monster" sounds way more fun than "Clydesdale" for us big guys!

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for all the feedback. I think the stockli is a wee bit out of my price range...Kastle most likely as well.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Even with your preferences, you need a groomer ski that does not suck off piste rather than an off piste ski that does not suck on groomers. The Enforcer 93 will be a good compliment to that type of ski. The suggestions of the Head Monster 83/88 sound spot on to me—particularly if you do not want to consider the premium priced skis. You might also consider something more groomer specific.

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
You put it well: looking for an on-piste ski that doesn’t suck off piste.

Even with your preferences, you need a groomer ski that does not suck off piste rather than an off piste ski that does not suck on groomers. The Enforcer 93 will be a good compliment to that type of ski. The suggestions of the Head Monster 83/88 sound spot on to me—particularly if you do not want to consider the premium priced skis. You might also consider something more groomer specific.

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Brahma will work; you can carve on them as well as enjoy them off-piste, steeps/chutes, trees, bumps. Given your size, you may want to consider the 187 if you are super aggressive/fast w/good technique; if not, the 180s should be pretty solid underfoot. While I have never skied DV, I have spent a lot of time at Snowbird on the Brahma's and feel confident they would rock for you.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Of the skis you mentioned in the first post, the DPS F87 would be my pick. I skied it on a mostly groomer day at Alta, with some off-piste 3-day old cut-up snow, loved it. I like the Alchemist layup even more, but that’s more shekels.

I am also thinking a Fischer Pro Mountain 86 might be worth taking a look at. If you’re more groomer-focused (which would make sense with the skis you already have in your quiver) you might consider The Curv GT, which I admittedly haven’t been on, but people whose opinions I respect seem to like. Fischers tend to have really good build quality, without the premium price.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those Fischer’s are both good choices. I partiicularly like the Curv GT for Deer Valley. Try to A/B the Fischer against one of the Head Monsters (I have only skied next year’s 88 but my son skied the 83 and raved about it as well) and I’ll bet you would be happy with the result. Not sure which I would prefer because I have never skied them close in time to one another. Both are premium feeling skis without the inflated price. I skied the Heads between rounds on Stockli and Kastle skis and they didn’t really suffer in the comparison. I like the Volkl RTM 84/86 as well in this category.. Obviously Stockli and Kastle make great skis in this category if you are willing to pay for them (I lover the Stockli Laser CX and Kastle MX series).

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It will be my first year as a DV pass holder too, not an inexpensive pass, so let me try to put it into perspective...

A quality ski like the AX is “pricey”, but a quality ski will likely give more pleasure, and last longer, possibly require less tuning due to better components. So while the initial outlay is higher.... Is it really more expensive?

While @Philpug is not a fan of our Bomber Skis, @Lorenzzo has seen them up close and in person and even tuned/waxed them for us and he can speak for the quality. I am pretty sure (inside info here) that the DV area will have Bomber Skis available. The Pro Terrain with the 84 waist might be just the ticket.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new Liberty V82 might be the DV ski. Its premium enough, and has some good initial reviews

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It will be my first year as a DV pass holder too, not an inexpensive pass, so let me try to put it into perspective...

A quality ski like the AX is “pricey”, but a quality ski will likely give more pleasure, and last longer, possibly require less tuning due to better components. So while the initial outlay is higher.... Is it really more expensive?

While @Philpug is not a fan of our Bomber Skis, [B]@Lorenzzo[/B] has seen them up close and in person and even tuned/waxed them for us and he can speak for the quality. I am pretty sure (inside info here) that the DV area will have Bomber Skis available. The Pro Terrain with the 84 waist might be just the ticket.
Hey how is it that I tune and store your skis? How did that happen?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January