• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Humm, sounds to me like he should demo the Monster 88. :D

Thats pretty much why I have a pair. :D

Yes... we all know... ogsmile And actually, it's still a good choice to toss in the OP's DV mix. I should be getting my fresh pair shortly. :golfclap:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I agree here. I would lean to an MX84/89 if you must have a Kastle. Sticking to the premium theme..Stockli Laser AX and of course the Renoun Z90.

I want to demo a MX84 and/or MX89... but something tells me I should not...

Utahski

Cruisin' along
Skier
Silverback is exactly right. Not that many powder days. You'll be mostly on groomed and DV is very thorough with grooming. Later in the season if the weather patterns aren't consistent and there's not enough snow, it can get pretty hard. And things also get slicked down from a lot of skiers sliding sideways. Also there are some fairly steep groomed runs. It's a fun place to go fast and you want a ski that'll hold a good edge. My friends ski DV a lot more than I do, they prefer an FIS slalom. Partially because they just enjoy skiing them and partially because of the aforementioned slow skiers going across the hill. I don't often ski DV but when I do it's with GS race skis. I'd recommend a narrower ski with real good edge grip.

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m also starting to look at the Atomic Vantage X CTI 83. Any feedback on that ski?

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Got into this a little late, but I've been really happy with my 177cm Head iRally and 180cm Head WCR i.Speed Pro skis for DV.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm about 215#, and the iTitan in 177 was pretty burly, but fun at speed. I actually liked the 170 more at lower speeds. Only tried them on the groom though.

There you go... I'm 205# and skied the 177 a great deal a few seasons ago when it changed to the black and blue topsheet and have demoed the current ones as well. Still think it would work for the OP. Put a 1and 3 tune on if you want improved edge grip.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
… 180cm Head WCR i.Speed Pro skis for DV.
Funny story from last year, I was on the i.Speed Pros for a couple of days. The 2nd day I'm rolling out of Snow Park lodge after getting my ticket for the day and see a couple of pairs of i.Speed Pros sitting in the racks. While I was thinking "Hmmmm. I wonder who those belong to?", Phil and Steve Mahre each grabbed a pair and headed off for the lifts. <big grin> I saw Phil later in the day in a lift line, looked at him and said "These sure are some awesome skis, aren't they?" Phil looked down to see that I was on the same skis, looked at me, grinned and said "Yes, yes they are..." Totally made my day, that's for sure!

:thumb::D

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Since the OP was considering the DPS F87 but that put it close to another ski in the quiver, perhaps the F82 for a carver that has some side trail chops.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
For me it would be an 80mm waist GS ski with a 23M sidecut. DV is a pretty big place and the bigger radius would be more appropriate for me. Also less sidecut makes for less kookiness off trail off trail. For me those short radius carvers aren't much fun when you need to skid like in bumps and Daly headwall. Problem is I don't think anyone makes a ski like this.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I will echo @Utahski and suggest going narrow. Like 70mm waist. Your current skis cover the all-mountain stuff. You can still play off piste with a dedicated carver, but it can be dicey if there is refrozen stuff, or a hard surface under the fluff.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe RTM 76? Or Deacon 74? I haven't been on the Deacon but did ski a wider RTM. Very nice ski.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink