• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
but a quality ski will likely give more pleasure, and last longer, possibly require less tuning due to better components. So while the initial outlay is higher.... Is it really more expensive?

Man, do I have a bridge in lower Manhattan for you. You'll love it. :D

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I looking for a ski to both fill out the narrower end of my quiver and for daily use at DV. My existing quiver is composed of an Enforcer 93 (I love this ski) and Backland 108.

... The ones on my list currently are the DPS F87, Blizzard Brahma, and Kastle fx 85.

...I’ll be on the groomers more often than not.

I don't think 88ish skis are right for those goals. You'll just have too much overlap. A Bramah and Enforcer 93 fill pretty much the same spot in a three ski quiver. You should be looking at narrower (65-75 wide) carving skis. There are lots of them and most are good.

There are many days when the off-piste skiing is pretty much terrible or there just isn't enough snow. Groomers only. But, those perfect groomers can get crunchy or polished into marble by tourists sliding sideways on them. A sharp, narrow, focused ski is the right tool.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, do I have a bridge in lower Manhattan for you. You'll love it. :D
He
I don't think 88ish skis are right for those goals. You'll just have too much overlap. A Bramah and Enforcer 93 fill pretty much the same spot in a three ski quiver. You should be looking at narrower (65-75 wide) carving skis. There are lots of them and most are good.

There are many days when the off-piste skiing is pretty much terrible or there just isn't enough snow. Groomers only. But, those perfect groomers can get crunchy or polished into marble by tourists sliding sideways on them. A sharp, narrow, focused ski is the right tool.
I agree. There are plenty of places, days and times of day at DV where you want a scalpel.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Deer Valley without a premium ski, good god man ? What will the Joneses think ?
Don't worry, the Joneses aren't at Deer Valley..what will Buffy, Chad and Muffy think. ;). But seriously, considering what he has, something upper 70's low 80's underfoot would be the best option, Stölkli SX, Kästle MX84, Blössom White Out. the only 90ish ski that I would consider, and that is because of it's shape and of course how smööth it is, the Renöun Z90.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Why not something simple like a Rally for DV if the OP already has a Enf-93?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I'll bet no one here had no idea that DV was known for groomers.

From the OP's mouth.... "Knowing the conditions at DV I’d like this ski to have frontside chops but still capable in adventures off piste here and there."

The OP's narrative is more important than our own personal preferences. Always.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
I have skied the Fischer Pro Mountain 86 in DV type conditions and absolutely love it. I bought mine from Jans in Park City, so you might be able to get them out for a demo. Plus you would save enough money to buy at least one lunch in DV ogsmile.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Or Magnum....or why not go all the way to precise hard side of carver and get the Fischer Curv. Explore the other side. Deer Valley is famous for their groomed runs after all.

It has already been suggested upthread - in post #12. But that is a supplement to the ski OP wants right now.

OP wants a ski that will carve to within his limits and, at the same time, not give him FOMO about ungroomed fun.

If I was doing this quiver, I would just go to a swap and grab any old $100ish Blizzard Magnum 8.0 or similar ski for OP's current wants, then invest in the carver. But that's me.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
6’3”, 215 lbs.

oooh.... missed that. Definitely getting toward the top end of the size range for a Rally. I'd love to see what one skied like with a regular race plate and FF binding though.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
oooh.... missed that. Definitely getting toward the top end of the size range for a Rally. I'd love to see what one skied like with a regular race plate and FF binding though.

Maybe a bit like the Worldcup Rebels i.Race ?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Attention Deer Valley carving nerds. Lol
Tt.jpg
St.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
From the OP's mouth.... "Knowing the conditions at DV I’d like this ski to have frontside chops but still capable in adventures off piste here and there."

Humm, sounds to me like he should demo the Monster 88. :D

Thats pretty much why I have a pair. :D

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid