• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Idaho-Montana road trip

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Heading out from Seattle to Idaho & Montana in a few days, and we’ve got the resorts figured out, but little else. Our itinerary is Silver or Whitefish —> Whitefish —> Discovery —> Big Sky —> 3 days at Bridger. (Shoutout to all the respondents on the Dirtbag thread for some good ideas)

Any tips on good places to eat, fun dive bars, or hot springs along the way?

James

Out There
Instructor
Are those really Dirtbag enough??
Dirtbag Skiing webzine (a little oxymoronic) is concerned.

@Rio might have some info for Bozeman.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So this is a dirtbag roadtrip?

TS
Analisa

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So this is a dirtbag roadtrip?

Driving the Gnar-V out and then doing the whole "sleep indoors and shower" thing in Bozeman. Not particularly dirt baggy, but Discovery and Lost Trail (looks like I missed that - day in between Discovery and Big Sky) wouldn't have been on my radar without the responses of some people here.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Funny my buddy just texted me this photo the other day. We did silver>snowbowl>discovery>big sky/moonlight(when different pass)>Bridger probably 10 years ago while he was at UofM. Have fun and definately stock up on the chocolate chip cookies.. Game changer!
image.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
We did the Schweitzer to Big Mountain trip a few years ago, flying into Spokane, and out of Kalispell.

A nice trip, but not enough snow. Kids got tired of counting deer after 20 or 30 or so.

If you are in the Sandpoint area, The Hydra steakhouse is worth a visit.
Fiesta Bonita was kind of ehhh. 2nd Ave Pizza same.

In Whitefish we liked the Buffalo Cafe and Wasabi Sushi Bar. The latter was really pretty good.

Enjoy

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are those really Dirtbag enough??
Dirtbag Skiing webzine (a little oxymoronic) is concerned.

@Rio might have some info for Bozeman.
Rio knows a great place for smoked meats that he took me to 10 years ago. Hope its still there.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Bars in Whitefish for locals who don't wear Bogner are the Bierstube at the mountain and the (Great) Northern (the bar, not the brewery) downtown. You might also hit Bonsai Brewing on the way to town from the mountain.

Most of the restaurants in town are pretty good. We lean to Abruzzo and Tupelo. Stay away from Kandahar, the Lodge at Whitefish Lake, and my old favorite (until it got too expensive) the "golf course" (Whitefish Lake Restaurant), if you want to hold onto your life savings. Wasabi is pretty good, but I like my food cooked -- we go on occasion anyway.

Doin1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Bars in Whitefish for locals who don't wear Bogner are the Bierstube at the mountain and the (Great) Northern (the bar, not the brewery) downtown. You might also hit Bonsai Brewing on the way to town from the mountain.

Most of the restaurants in town are pretty good. We lean to Abruzzo and Tupelo. Stay away from Kandahar, the Lodge at Whitefish Lake, and my old favorite (until it got too expensive) the "golf course" (Whitefish Lake Restaurant), if you want to hold onto your life savings. Wasabi is pretty good, but I like my food cooked -- we go on occasion anyway.

You are dismissing the Kandahar due to price only?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Bozeman Hot Springs. Not dirtbag but feels so good. If you are takeing the RV Fairmont Hot Springs RV Park, between Anaconda and Butte.

IF you are going through Butte over St. Patrick's Day, good luck. Supposed to be one of the very best in the WORLD. 'A Friend' told me there is a ATM down by the courthouse if needed but it only pays in $5.00 bills (the court only accepts cash 'my friend' said).

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Based on my research so far, hippie vegetarian boyfriend is going to starve to death

You do realize that in MT "vegetables are what food eats"! Kidding aside, there are vegetarian friendly places in BZN.

Bridger Brewing near MSU has great beer, pizza and salads. Nova Cafe and Saffron Table have many veggie options. BZN is more veggie friendly than most places.

In Big Sky the Riverhouse is a fun bar and ok bbq, the Corral is a fun bar with a salad bar and the Broken Spoke is a dive (plastic cups) and can be fun. Roxy's (food store) has fresh vegetables which are hard to find in MT.

Give a shout when you are in the area.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Co-op in Bozeman tends to have good hippy food options, both groceries and ready-to-eat stuff. The to-go bar is my favorite place in town to grab good food quickly.