• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did you enjoy this and would like to see more?

• Yes

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GriffinB

Fresh Tracks BABY!!!
Skier
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 105
Years of Skiing: 12
Years Racing: 6

For more information about me you can go to my profile page, then to the information tab.
upload_2018-7-12_17-39-13.jpeg

Sizes (mm): 166, 174, 182
Dimensions (mm) @ 174: 131 - 96 - 118
Turn Radius @ 174 (m): 17
Weight (g): 1676

The Icelantic Pioneer 96 is an exceptional all mountain ski that can easily complete someone’s one-ski-quiver. It charges down steep slopes, floats in deep powder, and busts through crud. It’s a lively and bouncy ski that I have not yet found a speed limit to. Plus, the graphics on the Pioneer are sick and super durable so they don’t look trashed after a few months of hard use.

The tech stuff: The Pioneer 96 is constructed with tip and tail rise, 7mm of camber underfoot, and a poplar core, which is a light, strong, and playful wood used primarily in all-mountain and park skis. This poplar core is highly elastic, meaning that when it’s deformed or, in the case of skiing, flexed, it returns to its original shape quickly. This creates that bouncy, energetic, and lively ski that I referred to earlier. Icelantic is also known for their thicker than normal steel edge, thick P-TEX sidewalls and impervious P-TEX bases. Combined, this produces extraordinary glide and durability. The rest consists of layers of fiberglass and rubber foil sheets to create a damp stable ride at speed with a lively “pop” upon compression.

The trade off for added stability and power out of the turn is added weight. Someone who is lighter than I, may want to size down. Also, because of the weight and width, I would steer you away from the Pioneer 96 if you spend more than 30% of your day in the park. As with most skis this wide, I couldn’t drive the edge into bulletproof ice or hard frozen groomers like I could with my race skis. In these conditions, I couldn’t completely appreciate its edge grip but possibly someone heavier would be able to dig in easier.

The Pioneer, in almost all snow conditions, turns on a dime for me, even though 174cm is aggressively long for someone my height. In deep pow this ski is amazing; one or two turns and the poplar core creates a bouncy rhythm on top of the snow allowing me to ski as much time in the freshies as possible. On groomers, they are much more responsive than I would expect for 96 underfoot. The thicker sidewalls and camber underfoot gives the control that any experienced skier has learned to rely on and love. Sometimes on groomers I’ll bend the ski so much that it will literally pop me out of my turn and make me jump across the snow, reaffirming how bouncy and poppy the Pioneer is. Long turns or short, fast or slow, I feel like I can get this ski to do whatever I want all over the mountain.

Even though the Pioneer is bouncy and playful, it is not a flimsy ski. The Pioneer 96 will bust through crud without the tip deflection or chatter usually found on a ski this lively. And remember, less effort in the crud means more skiing without getting blown-out. The Pioneer 96 is perfect for the variable conditions of spring skiing. Hard-packed morning runs, softer snow as the day progresses, corn, then slush, the Pioneer’s camber underfoot and 131mm shovel lets you drive and glide through all conditions.

Hucking off cliffs is a passion of mine, granted, I don’t send anything extreme, but I do often jump 10-20-foot cliffs. When jumping, I feel confident the Pioneer will hold me. It is a damp, stable ski that provides a sturdy platform with enough flex in the tail to forgive an imperfect landing. When I’m in the park I’m still able to have fun on this ski, admittedly, I’m not throwing huge spins or sending massive flips, that’s a different kind of skier. As I said earlier, a park and pipe rider would prefer a different ski.

To summarize, the Pioneer 96 would preferably be skied by an intermediate-advanced to advanced skier. The ski would be fully appreciated by someone who likes to explore the whole mountain. Although it wouldn’t be bad as a carver I would categorize the ski as all-mountain. This ski would not be recommended for someone who frequents the park due to its weight and width. If you are looking for a ski to fill the slot of a one-ski-quiver or a crazy fun all mountain ski the Icelantic Pioneer 96 is a great choice for you.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 105
Years of Skiing: 12
Years Racing: 6

For more information about me you can go to my profile page, then to the information tab.
View attachment 49084
Sizes (mm): 166, 174, 182
Dimensions (mm) @ 174: 131 - 96 - 118
Turn Radius @ 174 (m): 17
Weight (g): 1676

The Icelantic Pioneer 96 is an exceptional all mountain ski that can easily complete someone’s one-ski-quiver. It charges down steep slopes, floats in deep powder, and busts through crud. It’s a lively and bouncy ski that I have not yet found a speed limit to. Plus, the graphics on the Pioneer are sick and super durable so they don’t look trashed after a few months of hard use.

The tech stuff: The Pioneer 96 is constructed with tip and tail rise, 7mm of camber underfoot, and a poplar core, which is a light, strong, and playful wood used primarily in all-mountain and park skis. This poplar core is highly elastic, meaning that when it’s deformed or, in the case of skiing, flexed, it returns to its original shape quickly. This creates that bouncy, energetic, and lively ski that I referred to earlier. Icelantic is also known for their thicker than normal steel edge, thick P-TEX sidewalls and impervious P-TEX bases. Combined, this produces extraordinary glide and durability. The rest consists of layers of fiberglass and rubber foil sheets to create a damp stable ride at speed with a lively “pop” upon compression.

The trade off for added stability and power out of the turn is added weight. Someone who is lighter than I, may want to size down. Also, because of the weight and width, I would steer you away from the Pioneer 96 if you spend more than 30% of your day in the park. As with most skis this wide, I couldn’t drive the edge into bulletproof ice or hard frozen groomers like I could with my race skis. In these conditions, I couldn’t completely appreciate its edge grip but possibly someone heavier would be able to dig in easier.

The Pioneer, in almost all snow conditions, turns on a dime for me, even though 174cm is aggressively long for someone my height. In deep pow this ski is amazing; one or two turns and the poplar core creates a bouncy rhythm on top of the snow allowing me to ski as much time in the freshies as possible. On groomers, they are much more responsive than I would expect for 96 underfoot. The thicker sidewalls and camber underfoot gives the control that any experienced skier has learned to rely on and love. Sometimes on groomers I’ll bend the ski so much that it will literally pop me out of my turn and make me jump across the snow, reaffirming how bouncy and poppy the Pioneer is. Long turns or short, fast or slow, I feel like I can get this ski to do whatever I want all over the mountain.

Even though the Pioneer is bouncy and playful, it is not a flimsy ski. The Pioneer 96 will bust through crud without the tip deflection or chatter usually found on a ski this lively. And remember, less effort in the crud means more skiing without getting blown-out. The Pioneer 96 is perfect for the variable conditions of spring skiing. Hard-packed morning runs, softer snow as the day progresses, corn, then slush, the Pioneer’s camber underfoot and 131mm shovel lets you drive and glide through all conditions.

Hucking off cliffs is a passion of mine, granted, I don’t send anything extreme, but I do often jump 10-20-foot cliffs. When jumping, I feel confident the Pioneer will hold me. It is a damp, stable ski that provides a sturdy platform with enough flex in the tail to forgive an imperfect landing. When I’m in the park I’m still able to have fun on this ski, admittedly, I’m not throwing huge spins or sending massive flips, that’s a different kind of skier. As I said earlier, a park and pipe rider would prefer a different ski.

To summarize, the Pioneer 96 would preferably be skied by an intermediate-advanced to advanced skier. The ski would be fully appreciated by someone who likes to explore the whole mountain. Although it wouldn’t be bad as a carver I would categorize the ski as all-mountain. This ski would not be recommended for someone who frequents the park due to its weight and width. If you are looking for a ski to fill the slot of a one-ski-quiver or a crazy fun all mountain ski the Icelantic Pioneer 96 is a great choice for you.

Very well-written and informative review!

TS
GriffinB

GriffinB

Fresh Tracks BABY!!!
Skier
Very well-written and informative review!
Thank you very much Wendy for the complement, I really appreciate it. Thank you as well for viewing and commenting on this review, I appreciate the feedback and hope you continue to do so on my future reviews. If you have any suggestions on skis you'd like me to review I'd really appreciate that as well.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice job young man, we might have to get you on some Rossignol’s though.
I'm sensing a theme here.
We do have a few Rossignols in our test fleet this year and hope to get Griffin out on them.

@GriffinB Thanks for taking the time to write about these skis. I'll make sure Nate and @Sierrajim see it.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With any luck some of these traits will carry over to the Pioneer 109 that I have on preorder for the coming season. I bought them for the top sheet, but it should make it to be quite a nice ski. It's been somewhat difficult to find very many reviews of Icelantics Pioneer skis on the interwebs so far.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
With any luck some of these traits will carry over to the Pioneer 109 that I have on preorder for the coming season. I bought them for the top sheet, but it should make it to be quite a nice ski. It's been somewhat difficult to find very many reviews of Icelantics Pioneer skis on the interwebs so far.
What is your take on your Pioneers?

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've skied mine about a half dozen times this season so far, we just have not received the kind of conditions this year to really get a feel for them in deeper snow. But it has seen quite a few groomers, crud, leftover powder staches, and a couple of sled training runs. Between my sister and I who both own a pair of 109s, hers are 170's mine are 190s, we both agree that this ski is a surprisingly good carver for its size and very much solidifies itself as an all around ski. Aside from it's carving ability on groomers, neither of us really feel like it has a defining characteristic but rather it is a versatile ski that will work all over the mountain in all conditions. It does like the go over the piles of snow rather than through them, it's a pretty confidant ski for getting though the rough stuff. Oh it has very slow bases from the factory even after a good couple of waxing sessions. Skiing on hard pack, it sounds like you're banging a plank of wood against the snow.. it's kinda odd.

Comparing to a couple other skis I own/ed to give some reference to others
Fischer Ranger 102FR 184cm, is lighter, tighter turn radius by a little, "funner" stiffer, about the same crud and mixed snow performance
Black Diamond Boundary Pro 107 184cm. Held up to each other the BD shovels are the same width but the tails are skinnier, more flappy shovels but better powder performance cause of the taper in the tip and the tail shape. Otherwise the Pioneer 109 is stronger in just about every other condition I've skied them in.
Nordica Enforcer 100 185cm. Stronger, better edge hold, faster edge to edge, about the same crud busting but less floating over the piles and more going through them.

If I was to give it the usual pugski rating system.
Who is it for? Someone who wants an all mountain wide ski that will handle a variety of conditions, hold a good turn on groomers, and not feel out of place anywhere.
Who is it not for? Hard charging folks who are really pushing the speed and want a heavy damp ski, this one is heavy and damp, but it's not a hard charger
Insider Tip: Might need to grind a different structure in the bases, they are slow out of the box.

Pauldotcom

Booting up
Skier
Good review. I also skied the Pioneer and really, really liked it. It had better grip on the hard pack than expected, but I did feel it was a little flimsy in the mixed mess. I am 5'10 183lbs - so heavier, which makes a big difference. I felt they skied a little short, so if I were to buy, it would be the 182cm version. My overall impression was very positive, but I did feel similar style skis (such as the Sky7 and Ruster9 or 10) did a little better in the mixed stuff with similar results on the hard pack. Great glade ski!

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
I’ve owned and skied the Pioneer
96 for the past three seasons, as a mid ski in my quiver (Stockli AR and Rustler 11 on either edge of quiver).
I love the fun poppy nature, yet solid edge on groomers. It encourages me to find playful hits and jumps off piste.
- My only real complaint is the bases are slow….how do I fix this?
- If I were to change one element, it might be just to make the bases faster and potentially the ski slightly stronger (magically without giving up the playful nature); does a Ski exist?
- But it’s a fun solid ski