• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Icelantic bomb proof

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I like Icelantics. Super good company to the Denver community.

However, "the most durable skis on the market" I'm skeptical of until they publish their base thickness. To my knowledge, only two ski manufacturers use 1.8mm bases (compared to standard 1.3mm): On3p and J Skis. 4001 Durasurf are great from a durability perspective, and 2.2mm edges are solid. But still not the thickest / most durable used in consumer skis. That again goes to On3p with 2.5mm edges.

iggyskier

Booting up
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Icelantic is using standard base & edges. 1.3mm 4001 base. 2.2mm wide x 2.0mm thick edges. 2001 sidewalls. More durable base & sidewalls than most. Edges and base thickness standard.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@iggyskier -- I know 4000-series bases > 2000 series bases. Are similar properties true in sidewalls? Obviously 4000 is harder, but is harder good in sidewalls?

iggyskier

Booting up
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
@iggyskier -- I know 4000-series bases > 2000 series bases. Are similar properties true in sidewalls? Obviously 4000 is harder, but is harder good in sidewalls?

I'm not aware of anyone running 4001 sidewalls, but conceivably, yes, it would be more impact & abrasion resistant than the 2001 everyone uses for sidewalls. That said, the value add really isn't there. Compared to base, sidewalls are considerably more substantial in their width and thickness and are not constantly being abraded by snow crystals. So - sure, you could do it - but I'd be hard pressed to see much practical value to doing so over the current offering.

Sponsor

Staff online