• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ice skating as preperation for the ski season

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Great morning at the rink today - I taught one of the new kids how to spiral and in the middle of prep drilling he whimpered that he's now using muscles he didn't know he had. Also my figure skating coach showed our wayward herd of hockey players how to do power threes, they all tripped and fell over, and now they've apparently decided that that little 5' tall Boston grandma is their god. :rolleyes:

(Speaking of that grandma, she suddenly decided that we should all do grand battement x10 on each straightaway - VERY bad time for your friend MiniLuli - I'm going back to skiing where you can just slalom on two feet like normal people; this knives-on-ice business is too much.)

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I'm going back to skiing where you can just slalom on two feet like normal people; this knives-on-ice business is too much.)

I know! Princess and I had our second day a few days ago. One of the things I realized is that this whole thing about hockey stops is a scam. It only works with skis!!!

:roflmao:

After failing to do one and holding on to the rail on the side like my depended on it, Princess mentioned that somehow, this reminded her of me hitting a tree in our first ski season. Don't you love children?

:D

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
I know! Princess and I had our second day a few days ago. One of the things I realized is that this whole thing about hockey stops is a scam. It only works with skis!!!

:roflmao:

After failing to do one and holding on to the rail on the side like my depended on it, Princess mentioned that somehow, this reminded her of me hitting a tree in our first ski season. Don't you love children?

:D

Haha! She sounds like a riot. I think she must be around my cousin's age, and they do seem to have a freaky sixth sense for bringing up past mishaps at the worst possible time. :rolleyes:

With the stops - hockey stops are rough! I get my edges cut pretty deep to stop myself from skidding out, so anything that requires skidding both edges at once is a bad time, haha. I definitely find that standing on one foot & skidding the free foot is a lot easier; I think I switched to one-foot stops pretty much as soon as I could glide on one foot for a couple seconds. This video below has a quick demo of the two snowplow stops, which is how we usually teach our beginners to stop:

Last edited:

Sponsor