• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ice skating as preperation for the ski season

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
find Princess a friend who also wants to skate.

Take them to the rink during an open skating session.

Stand back, relax and enjoy the smiles. It comes quickly to the young. There is nothing else we do that returns such effortless speed entirely under our own inputs.
Ice is magic that way!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
There is nothing else we do that returns such effortless speed entirely under our own inputs.

Yeah, I found so many things that will help my own skiing. It will improve my for-aft for sure. There is no crashing the boots (faceplant) or backsitting (buttlanding) allowed. It is also going to help me (hopefully) relax the upper body and my stance in general. As an adult male who learned to ski recently, i am so freaking stiff. I hate watching any videos of my own skiing because of that. My kids are so much more graceful :D I love watching them.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'd be trying this place..
http://www.hockeyxsuperstore.com/skate-sharpening/

Let them fit you..it's like ski boots..tight skates, especially in width, are very painful. Don't be afraid to ask for different widths if you feel pain. In the Bauer line, the Nexus are the biggest volume boot, too big for me and I have wide feet. Supreme are next and that's what I'd buy myself..E width in a Supreme boot..wide feet. The Vapor line are the narrow, stiffer boot. Too stiff is not your friend necessarily...

CCM the Tacks are about equivalent to the Supreme series in volume. The Jets are narrower. The Ribcore are basically the old Reebok brand. I'd get Tacks myself.

Spring and get stainless blades..otherwise they'll eventually rust up and irritate you.

That place will know the different hollows and won't (I don't think) flinch if you ask for a 3/4" or a 7/16". I run a 1/2" or 7/16" hollow myself. There's no shame in a shallower hollow..I've been playing hockey for 40 years and it's really about preference. Many NHL'ers use a shallow cut as well.

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
There is another type of conversion blade available, XC boot conversion blades. Sort of a tuned-down speed blade that fits on a nordic skate or combi boot. If *all* of your skating was going to be pond skating, that would have been a possibility but never mind.

I went this route. A blade with a rottefella skate rollerski binding on top. And then I just use my XC-skating boots.

https://www.lundhags.se/en/products/nordic-skating/skates/dominator-nis?variant=27372/(color)/900

To me ice skating is not really a sport, but just something I do with the kids. I think of it as XC-skiing practice when the roller-ski season has ended but the snow skiing hasn't started yet or when the snow conditions are to crappy to bother XC-skiing. Like they are at the moment... So skates that attaches to xc-skiing boots made perfect sense for me.

Our local artificial (cooled) skating rink is huge (~120x120m) and I have never seen more than 20 people there, so lots of space for using long skates. As long as one avoids being there when bandy game/practice is on it's great. Would love try them on frozen lakes, but that season is often very short and sometimes non-existent. And then there is the safety aspect that I don't feel like I have sufficient control over.

Have never tried other types of skates. Sort of wonder how different a hockey skate, dance skate or speed skate would feel.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I went this route. A blade with a rottefella skate rollerski binding on top. And then I just use my XC-skating boots.

https://www.lundhags.se/en/products/nordic-skating/skates/dominator-nis?variant=27372/(color)/900

To me ice skating is not really a sport, but just something I do with the kids. I think of it as XC-skiing practice when the roller-ski season has ended but the snow skiing hasn't started yet or when the snow conditions are to crappy to bother XC-skiing. Like they are at the moment... So skates that attaches to xc-skiing boots made perfect sense for me.

Our local artificial (cooled) skating rink is huge (~120x120m) and I have never seen more than 20 people there, so lots of space for using long skates. As long as one avoids being there when bandy game/practice is on it's great. Would love try them on frozen lakes, but that season is often very short and sometimes non-existent. And then there is the safety aspect that I don't feel like I have sufficient control over.

Have never tried other types of skates. Sort of wonder how different a hockey skate, dance skate or speed skate would feel.

Smear

If you get out on the ice with the intent to turn sharply, link turns gracefully, carry a single blade on both edges between strides, even get a little air ...
Skating will bring to you an entirely different freedom. Striding along without ever feeling inertia is about like Nordic skiing. But expressive skating is not limited to only that.

Watch the IIHF hockey games that are on NOW. Russia vs Swiss at the moment for Bronze, as the US and Fins go for the gold later. (your time and programing may differ.

Those kids can SKATE! no tutus or ruffles, Athleticism!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Horses for courses..hockey skates are for skating obviously...but they're also spending a lot of their time getting position on others at speed = 0.

Here's a good example of some very important play that happens in a very small area. Hockey skates have to be able to maneuver in that tight space to make those sharp cuts and turns.

Last edited:
TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Horses for courses..hockey skates are for skating obviously...but they're also spending a lot of their time getting position on others at speed = 0.

I find that the stand height differences between hockey skates and the others is significant. I quit the "figure skates" as a child because I was always booting out.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@luliski Never tried speed skating but would love too. The ice on those Olympics tracks looks so tantalizing. Will you be up
In Tahoe anytime the week of the 14th? If you need a place to stay, you’re welcome to stay with us as we have the house to ourselves this time!
I should be up there a few days and would love to ski with you. I might take you up on your kind lodging offer too-thanks!

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Yeah, I found so many things that will help my own skiing. It will improve my for-aft for sure. There is no crashing the boots (faceplant) or backsitting (buttlanding) allowed. It is also going to help me (hopefully) relax the upper body and my stance in general. As an adult male who learned to ski recently, i am so freaking stiff. I hate watching any videos of my own skiing because of that. My kids are so much more graceful :D I love watching them.

If anyone wants to experience a perfectly carved turn, ice time is the way!

Get up a bit of speed and link turns, just like turns on skis, until the speed drops ...

This simple exercise can be a real kick in the butt ;-)

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
It's funny to talk about skates providing ankle support. A good boot is important, as is a good fit. But the skater must stand over the skate blade in order to really skate.
An ice skate is more like a skate board than a snow board in this respect. I grew up skating on hand me down skates that were allways used up, broken down and three sizes too large.
There was really no other way to get along than to stand on the blade, one foot at a time.

Actually, it's a lot like beginner's ski boots vs. an advanced pair from a good fitter! Good pro fitted skates are stiff enough on the sides that there's almost zero lateral wobble at all even when the foot is totally relaxed; mine just feel like an extension of my foot. A lot of rec skaters have significant ankle wobble, but they're also in the equivalent of a beater 60 flex rental Dalbello, or maybe a pair of three-sizes-too-large racing Langes that their uncle bought in the 1980s, hahaha. The lateral ankle wobble is actually one of the big fit tests when you buy figure skates - when I got my last pair fitted they literally sent me out on the ice to watch whether I had to "work" to do a straight line glide.

LuliTheYounger

Skier
@Mendieta Sounds like you guys are on a good track! If it's an option, doing a Learn To Skate program might be a lot of fun for both of you. They're sometimes labelled as beginning figure skating classes, but US Figure Skating's beginning levels are just meant to get new skaters comfortable stopping & moving around both directions - no jumping or anything crazy! I honestly did most of the beginning tests thinking I'd be a hockey player, hahaha; regardless it ended up being a fun way to meet skating buddies & get coaching on edge control in a really mellow environment.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
If anyone wants to experience a perfectly carved turn, ice time is the way!

Get up a bit of speed and link turns, just like turns on skis, until the speed drops ...

This simple exercise can be a real kick in the butt ;-)

And when you get good at it.. link turns until the speed increases.. then do it on one foot :) then do it backwards on one foot.. edging and steering.. drive the skate across the transition into the next turn..

Actually, it's a lot like beginner's ski boots vs. an advanced pair from a good fitter! Good pro fitted skates are stiff enough on the sides that there's almost zero lateral wobble at all even when the foot is totally relaxed; mine just feel like an extension of my foot. A lot of rec skaters have significant ankle wobble, but they're also in the equivalent of a beater 60 flex rental Dalbello, or maybe a pair of three-sizes-too-large racing Langes that their uncle bought in the 1980s, hahaha. The lateral ankle wobble is actually one of the big fit tests when you buy figure skates - when I got my last pair fitted they literally sent me out on the ice to watch whether I had to "work" to do a straight line glide.

This.. 100% this..one of the reasons why I can't ski in a boot with the buckles too tight.. need to ski with the ankle and my feet.. not my shin..

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled

Lateral wobble?

The boots on my skates extend upwards less than an inch above the maleolus. Hardly stiff enough to overcome "weak ankles".
In fact, I seldom tighten the laces of the top two eyelets. Placing a cross over of the laces 'two eyelets down' to achieve the variance in lace tautness.
Ankle wobble can be attributed to a wide stance that does not center the skater over the blade.

I'm NOT SAYING a good boot and a good fit does not aid in skating , but I am saying 'support" is not a required condition. Heck, I've skated on blades that strapped on to winter over shoes. And had FUN!

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
And when you get good at it.. link turns until the speed increases.. then do it on one foot :) then do it backwards on one foot.. edging and steering.. drive the skate across the transition into the next turn..

This.. 100% this..one of the reasons why I can't ski in a boot with the buckles too tight.. need to ski with the ankle and my feet.. not my shin..

Hmmm

Perhaps this is significant for the 'Josh Mata' theme that a boot can not be too stiff, and those. like myself, that prefer a softer flex.
An ice skating background that places fore and aft balance in different domains of anatomy.

Hmmm.

LuliTheYounger

Skier
Lateral wobble?

The boots on my skates extend upwards less than an inch above the maleolus. Hardly stiff enough to overcome "weak ankles".
In fact, I seldom tighten the laces of the top two eyelets. Placing a cross over of the laces 'two eyelets down' to achieve the variance in lace tautness.
Ankle wobble can be attributed to a wide stance that does not center the skater over the blade.

I'm NOT SAYING a good boot and a good fit does not aid in skating , but I am saying 'support" is not a required condition. Heck, I've skated on blades that strapped on to winter over shoes. And had FUN!

Oh for sure, obviously there's plenty of ways to enjoy any sport! I'm sure there's plenty of skiers who have plenty of fun in rental ski boots. I mostly wanted to point out the difference for some of the newer skaters who drop in here after doing battle with some wobbly rental skates & might not realize that a traditionally fitted stiff boot is an option. Personally, I have the most busted up weakling noodle ankles of all time & would have bailed out of this sport years ago if my skates didn't overcome them, hahahaha.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
We did it! Went to the Hockey Superstore. Great recommendation!

20190119_161741_HDR.jpg

Got fitted. They got baked and sharpened!

20190119_165850.jpg
20190119_165104.jpg
20190119_183405.jpg

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier

My kids are a hockey player and a figure skater and can both accelerate without either foot leaving the ice and go end to end picking up speed on one foot both backwards and forwards. My son took skating lessons for years with a figure skating instructor who taught hockey players to skate. Both of their skating skills are outstanding. For kids that didn't ski a ton because of other winter sports both of them are good skiers. It definitely helps balance as there is no room to lean too far forward or back. For fitness you would need to really work at it not just drift around the ice. Playing pickup hockey is definitely good for fitness I am not sure beyond basic balance how much it translates to skiing technique.

The hockey drills showed above brought back memories. I either ran or watched that drill lots of times with my son.

Sponsor