• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ice skating as preperation for the ski season

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@LuliTheYounger you can't really go that fast at public skating rinks ... ponds are where it's at, just find a good pond, but make sure it's frozen :D and find some enterprising teen hockey players to shovel the snow off .... a fast big frozen pond is just the funnest thing, there must be one where u live

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hockey is a pretty tough thing to generalize on.. A lot depends on how good you are compared to who you're playing with, what your objectives are and just plain how good a shape you're in. Hockey isn't really exercise as Primoz said..I generally agree with that..however, you can play it as though it's a workout but you need to go in with that mindset and have team-mates who are understanding.
I beg to differ, but agree that a better player can coast with poorer skaters. I play in a 3 on 3 league on a full sheet. Having to cover more ice is definitely a workout. The other league is tamer but the pace is high.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Okay, you mercenaries, soulless sport junkies, despicable athletes, and the list goes. You did it. Did you have to?

Today we had a first skating day with Princess Mendieta. It wasn't even a real ice rink. It was a crappy tiny rink inside a science academy, but how much fun. I learned a few things:

• Kids these days are really entitled. They feel like they own the plastic gliders/walkers. I don't care if you are three, honey. I also have feelings
  • Ice is freakin' hard.
  • These things DO have edges
  • There is something worse, so much worse than ski boot rentals. Yes, skate rentals. At least at this place, OMG. See the picture
20190104_135700.jpg

This is friggin' plastic with no padding whatsoever. I saw kids crying with blisters, and my daughter and I also have blisters. Really? Way to encourage sport participation.

As for the good news: Princess, who is kinda interested in skiing, to some extent, is really liking this and wants to try again. And dad (that's me, or so I've been told), think it's always fun to do stuff with the kids, and actually a lot of the stuff is transferable to skiing, which is really my thing. Obviously the skating part is cool for skiing, but balance for sure. Lots of similarities.

Anyways, we might look for ski boots and ice rink over here. Been googling a bit. It seems like for recreational use, skates are less expensive than ski boots, by leaps and bounds. Any recommendations? I would need a pair for princess, 12yo, and one for me. Hers, she'll likely grow out of soon.

Now, I have no idea, at all. Do you tune these things? Do you sharpen the edges? I just read this whole thread. Are there different types? Like hokey vs figure skating? We are doing neither. We'd be going up to a rink and goof off.

Thanks for any pointers, and for ruining my life
:roflmao:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, you mercenaries, soulless sport junkies, despicable athletes, and the list goes. You did it. Did you have to?

Today we had a first skating day with Princess Mendieta. It wasn't even a real ice rink. It was a crappy tiny rink inside a science academy, but how much fun. I learned a few things:

• Kids these days are really entitled. They feel like they own the plastic gliders/walkers. I don't care if you are three, honey. I also have feelings
  • Ice is freakin' hard.
  • There is something worse, so much worse than ski boot rentals. Yes, skate rentals. At least at this place, OMG. See the picture
View attachment 62199

This is friggin' plastic with no padding whatsoever. I saw kids crying with blisters, and my daughter and I also have blisters. Really? Way to encourage sport participation.

As for the good news: Princess, who is kinda interested in skiing, to some extent, is really liking this and wants to try again. And dad (that's me, or so I've been told), think it's always fun to do stuff with the kids, and actually a lot of the stuff is transferable to skiing, which is really my thing. Obviously the skating part is cool for skiing, but balance for sure. Lots of similarities.

Anyways, we might look for ski boots and ice rink over here. Been googling a bit. It seems like for recreational use, skates are less expensive than ski boots, by leaps and bounds. Any recommendations? I would need a pair for princess, 12yo, and one for me. Hers, she'll likely grow out of soon.

Now, I have no idea, at all. Do you tune these things? Do you sharpen the edges? I just read this whole thread. Are there different types? Like hokey vs figure skating? We are doing neither. We'd be going up to a rink and goof off.

Yep, you sharpen them. My daughter might have recommendations for good beginner skates. That ice looks terrible, by the way! Time for the Zamboni. Your daughter might like figure skating with her dance background.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Yep, you sharpen them. My daughter might have recommendations for good beginner skates. That ice looks terrible, by the way! Time for the Zamboni. Your daughter might like figure skating with her dance background.

And that was a good patch! Yes, you are right. She could be figure skating in no time. So, that video in page one here of some serious figure skating skills IS indeed @LuliTheYounger ? She posted it!

Oh, the other good news of the day is that we started terrified, in 15 minutes we were moving, in 45 minutes we were tentatively skating. I don't think I would have progressed so quickly without having skied for almost 100 days. In her case it's different because, like you noted, she's been dancing since she was 3

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier

• Ice is freakin' hard.
View attachment 62199

@luliski @mendita @LuliTheYounger
I love ice skating! So much so that I attempted to play ice hockey for a few years just so I could skate around in pads. ice is hard and I’m too old to be falling hard on my bare skin. I learned that I actually still know nothing about ice hockey tactics nor do I actually enjoy the game. I just really like the athletic form of skating on an un-crowded rink. I have taken an ice hockey clinic the past two years just for the skating drills. My least favorite part was when we had to start puck work. What an annoyance! Lol.

I wish there was another ice sport, like obstacle courses or just team tag. A beginner level crashed ice course would be amazing!

Real crashed ice course:

I have zero grace or rythym so never considered figure skating. I suppose I also have the notion of it being super “girly” with the outfits and all....and I am so not girly. Maybe I’ll take a class if they allow me to wear my hockey pads!

There’s a rink in Truckee I’ve been meaning to try for ages. Would anyone like to join me sometime on the week of Jan 14 after a day of skiing?

@Mendieta - l’d def recommend hockey skates for you. Much easier to learn with.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And that was a good patch! Yes, you are right. She could be figure skating in no time. So, that video in page one here of some serious figure skating skills IS indeed @LuliTheYounger ? She posted it!

Oh, the other good news of the day is that we started terrified, in 15 minutes we were moving, in 45 minutes we were tentatively skating. I don't think I would have progressed so quickly without having skied for almost 100 days. In her case it's different because, like you noted, she's been dancing since she was 3
It's tough to learn to skate on the little seasonal rinks that pop up in California in the winter. I don't think they can keep the ice cold enough, and it ends up all rutted. It's tough to glide on that stuff.If you can go to one of the year-round rinks it will probably be even more fun. I don't know where you live, but there's one right off 80 in Vacaville, and also in Roseville. I think there must be one around Berkeley (if it's still there), because that's where I first ice skated years ago as a kid.

Yes, that is @LuliTheYounger in the video. She grew up in-line skating, and learned to ice skate at birthday parties, seasonal rinks,Yosemite's Curry Village rink, Squaw's rink (I think it's gone), and the Resort at Squaw Creek. She goes to school in western New York and took ice skating as a wellness class, and decided to stick with it. It's a great way to exercise in a cold climate!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@luliski @mendita @LuliTheYounger
I love ice skating! So much so that I attempted to play ice hockey for a few years just so I could skate around in pads. ice is hard and I’m too old to be falling hard on my bare skin. I learned that I actually still know nothing about ice hockey tactics nor do I actually enjoy the game. I just really like the athletic form of skating on an un-crowded rink. I have taken an ice hockey clinic the past two years just for the skating drills. My least favorite part was when we had to start puck work. What an annoyance! Lol.

I wish there was another ice sport, like obstacle courses or just team tag. A beginner level crashed ice course would be amazing!

Real crashed ice course:

I have zero grace or rythym so never considered figure skating. I suppose I also have the notion of it being super “girly” with the outfits and all....and I am so not girly. Maybe I’ll take a class if they allow me to wear my hockey pads!

There’s a rink in Truckee I’ve been meaning to try for ages. Would anyone like to join me sometime on the week of Jan 14 after a day of skiing?

@Mendieta - l’d def recommend hockey skates for you. Much easier to learn with.
I'll go if I can! I agree, hockey skates are easier. What about speed skating? That's fun!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Daughter did figure and hockey. Good times @Mendieta. I used to make a rink at home for the kids. 120x60 :)

One of the better sites on hockey, www.hockeycoachingabcs.com Content is great, layout needs updating.( I host it and have very lax on it. )

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll go if I can! I agree, hockey skates are easier. What about speed skating? That's fun!
@luliski Never tried speed skating but would love too. The ice on those Olympics tracks looks so tantalizing. Will you be up
In Tahoe anytime the week of the 14th? If you need a place to stay, you’re welcome to stay with us as we have the house to ourselves this time!

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier

• Ice is freakin' hard.
View attachment 62199

Welcome to the dark side!! :D

Would definitely recommend getting your own skates if you're planning on going regularly; the rentals can be spectacularly bad, haha. They're similar to ski boots in that you want a pair that'll lock your foot in and give you a good amount of support, and you kind of get what you pay for. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a crazy tight fit in beginner skates, but I would stay away from the super cheap figure skates that are basically just a single layer of soft leather. Dick's sells some crazy off-brand $50 pairs that have so little support you can totally roll an ankle even if they're laced all the way. They make it basically impossible to transfer energy to an edge, too, so you can't progress in them; I hate seeing people buy those things.

As far as recommendations - I'm a fan of the Jackson Softec/Softskate line! Jackson builds big-kid figure skates and they know what they're doing. I had a pair of the Softec Classics when I started, and they were stiff enough that I managed to do baby jumps in them for a couple months. The blade is a little odd for higher work, but you/your daughter could totally get through beginning skills in them. If the Jacksons don't fit, there's also the Riedell Pearls. I haven't tried them, but Riedell is one of the other big figure skate companies, and I would trust that that model is legit.

I'm less sure about beginner hockey skates? One of the Softec models randomly has a hockey blade on it, which might be worth a try? Otherwise I would just go to a pro shop & ask them to fit you for rec-level hockey skates.

Also, if you get your own - make sure you get them sharpened before you skate on them; they usually come from the factory totally flat. I would also buy a pair of soft blade guards to start, and maybe hard guards if you want them. The soft guards are little towel thingies that go over the blade to dry them & keep the rust off, and hard guards are rubber things to protect them when you're walking. I don't always use my hards if I'm just walking a short distance, but mine get wiped & soft guarded every single time they come off.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Yes :P

did you find the center? we call it a center edge because the feel is so completely distinctive.

Do you tune these things? Do you sharpen the edges?

At a good rink, you don't do squat. A tobacco-chewing horny-handed part-time Zamboni operator puts a computer-controlled profile on them that is both height controlled to form a controlled rocker profile front to back and depth controlled to form a U profile side to side. The only thing you do is put protectors on them so they don't bang on anything other than ice.

Seriously, even if you had the jigs you couldn't match the height profile let alone the cross-blade shape doing it by hand, don't even bother wasting your time.

Are there different types? Like hokey vs figure skating? We are doing neither. We'd be going up to a rink and goof off.

Hockey blades are designed to carve and pivot both, and have appropriate grinds - rockered with no toe pick.
Compared to a hockey blade figure skates have almost zero visible rocker - and a giant toe pick that looks like a grapefruit spoon's nightmare on the front.
There are also speed blades, which look nothing like either of the above, and have different upkeep. You don't need to know about those.

The inline skate conversion blades I posted above are sort of a hockey blade-ish shape (not quite as pivoty and *certainly* not as durable)
There is another type of conversion blade available, XC boot conversion blades. Sort of a tuned-down speed blade that fits on a nordic skate or combi boot. If *all* of your skating was going to be pond skating, that would have been a possibility but never mind.

Last edited:
TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Skated yesterday morning again. (Instead of going to the dentists office)
Sharing a smooth fresh sheet of ice with 8-9 other like minded adults is not a bad thing. A couple of the gals are "from the skating club", and boy can they skate circles.
I get my licks in, I really enjoy skating 'switch' at speed. That would be a bad idea if the ice were crowded.
An hour and a half steady, with a few speed bursts when half the ice was open. Not too much barking from my legs. really no more than skiing. It's just that the time is shorter, and there are no lift rides to force a rest ;-)

It's funny to talk about skates providing ankle support. A good boot is important, as is a good fit. But the skater must stand over the skate blade in order to really skate.
An ice skate is more like a skate board than a snow board in this respect. I grew up skating on hand me down skates that were allways used up, broken down and three sizes too large.
There was really no other way to get along than to stand on the blade, one foot at a time.

Oh! Home sharpening of a skate is not in the cards. Not at all like tuning a pair of skis.
The blades are hollow ground (roll a dime down them) and rockered (like a large radius wheel)
The more rocker, the more responsive they are to turning. Like the side cut in a shaped ski! ;-)

Whee HA! What fun this life !

A cross over with cantunam...;:)

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Also, once you get a pair of skates, if you find a good pro shop to sharpen them, I recommend you not get the usually standard 3/8" hollow grind. Go for a 1/2" grind or a 3/4" grind. This give you less "bite" and more "glide". But it also makes the blade feel less locked-in and you can initiate turns more easily and hockey stops are easier to learn this way. After you learn how to skate well, you can decide which hollow you prefer.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thank you all! I am processing all this info.

Quick question: it looks like hockey skates with a forgiving tune would also be the best place for my daughter to start?

All things said, the most likely outcome of this is for us to go and take a few laps a couple laps a couple times a year. But who knows, maybe she takes a summer camp at a good rink and gets a more serious appreciation for it. We'll see. There is also the chance that we blow a few hundred bucks into this and never picks up. I am comfortable with that risk.

My thoughts based on the above (again, thank you so much for all the tips):
  1. Find a pro shop in the area:
    1. Buy skates from them since you want a good fitting and I certainly need advice.
    2. Get hockey boots for them, and have them tuned to 3/4.
  2. Find recommendations from the shop on a good ice rink:
    1. All year around, if at all possible
    2. With recreational skating hours
    3. Bonus points if they have summer camps, kids programs, etc
@luliski : to your question, we are close to SF on the East side of the tunnel. There is one rink in Walnut Creek that would be convenient but it doesn't seem very serious. One in Oakland that looks promising but the tunnels is also a traffic funnel :D I would much rather stay on the East Side. Many times, a shorter drive across the tunnel takes twice as long.

@LuliTheYounger : Princess Mendieta just looked at your video and was like "Wow, that's soo cool, I guess that's figure skating?" I said "I think so". She did say she's not looking for figure skating right now, prolly, perhaps if things pick up. later on. :thumb:

Sponsor