• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ice Coast transplant in SoCal

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Pugski,

First thank you to @Philpug & @Tricia and the dozens of other extremely experienced and knowledgeable people on Pugski. I’ve been lurking and reading for a while and finally decided to sign up.

I recently moved to SoCal (Inland Empire) from the Ice Coast and I’m looking forward to meeting skiing folks here, looks like mainly at Bear/Summit, Mammoth, Utah and Mt. Baldy if they ever get snow. Happy for any recommendations re: skiing in Cali!

Finally, I’m heading to Ski Dazzle in LA this Friday (Nov 16th) if anyone is going to be there. My first ski show!

Peace.
Ross

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi Pugski,

First thank you to @Philpug & @Tricia and the dozens of other extremely experienced and knowledgeable people on Pugski. I’ve been lurking and reading for a while and finally decided to sign up.

I recently moved to SoCal (Inland Empire) from the Ice Coast and I’m looking forward to meeting skiing folks here, looks like mainly at Bear/Summit, Mammoth, Utah and Mt. Baldy if they ever get snow. Happy for any recommendations re: skiing in Cali!

Finally, I’m heading to Ski Dazzle in LA this Friday (Nov 16th) if anyone is going to be there. My first ski show!

Peace.
Ross

Welcome home, Ross! Lots of SoCal'ers here. Like @Eleeski , @socalgal , @Pat AKA mustski , and that's just off the top of my head :D

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
The only thing I would offer is if your doing Mammoth on the weekends, you might want to try leaving at 3:30 or 4:00 am Saturday morning .If you do a steady 75 on 395 these days , don’t anybody FREAK OUT that’s not speeding you won’t get a ticket, 76 and you might.5 hour drive no problem You will need to do 67 when you get to Randsburg all the way to the T at the 14 merge, that’s where the Highway Patrol guys get everybody.
Forget about Baldy,those days are over.

TS
Rostapher

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Mendieta @socalgal @Viking9 @surfsnowgirl & @Philpug for your replies and advice. What an awesome community spirit. :golfclap: I really appreciate that!

Finally, I grew up skiing in NC (Beech) and when I tell ppl that, most don’t believe there are ski hills there. So I appreciate all the east (esp. southeast) has to offer: ice, fog, slush, rain, bitter cold, the occasional 3” powder day and really great times!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @Mendieta @socalgal @Viking9 @surfsnowgirl & @Philpug for your replies and advice. What an awesome community spirit. :golfclap: I really appreciate that!

Finally, I grew up skiing in NC (Beech) and when I tell ppl that, most don’t believe there are ski hills there. So I appreciate all the east (esp. southeast) has to offer: ice, fog, slush, rain, bitter cold, the occasional 3” powder day and really great times!
That western North Carolina area is magnificent, in a former life I strongly considered moving there. Yes, there are something like 38 peaks over 6,000ft east of the Mississippi and 37 are in that area, the only one that isn't is Mt. Washington.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome! If we get a good snow year, Baldy is awesome. I live in Big Bear and ski both Summit and Bear Mountain. If you haven't done so already, your best bet is the Ikon pass because it is good at Summit, Bear, Mammoth, June, Squaw and Alpine - not to mention a ton of other resorts outside of California. We are hoping for some snow this year locally - time will tell. If we actually get some snow, we'll stay to figure out a local meet up. Other SoCal locals not mentioned above include @MountainMonster @Mothertucker @agreen @VickiK @skibum4ever @Larry

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Normal SoCal snow is kinda like "spring conditions" everywhere else, except that it's pretty much all the time here. By mid-morning it's often quite soft. So rather than "Ice-coast" it's more like "Melt-coast" ... yeah I know that sounds kind of lame. But it's fun! And trips north to Mammoth are great.

You didn't mention what kind of skis you have but the different conditions might mean you'll want different skis. Personally I like having something 80-90 waist width.

TS
Rostapher

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you haven't done so already, your best bet is the Ikon pass because it is good at Summit, Bear, Mammoth, June, Squaw and Alpine - not to mention a ton of other resorts outside of California.

@Pat AKA mustski Yes, actually picked up Ikon at Ski Dazzle for $50 off. Next year we’ll buy in the spring!

You didn't mention what kind of skis you have but the different conditions might mean you'll want different skis. Personally I like having something 80-90 waist width.

@river-z Currently, Enforcer 93 is my “one ski quiver,” unless you count some 15 yo Volkl Vertigo rock skis & a snowboard (am I even allowed to say that here‽:eek:). I *think* I can ski most anything on the Enforcers though! I did ALMOST buy some Blizzard Quattro RXs at Ski Dazzle, but my highly intelligent wife recommended I ski here a year or two before buying more skis. The Quattros are 84 underfoot & were a blast when I demoed them at Mt. Snow last year, so per your recommendation....:wag:

I ski Summit most weekdays and a lot of the night sessions as well, give us a heads up when you plan to visit and we can spin some laps.

@Mothertucker Hoping to get up to Summit/Bear midweek in December before I start a full time job in January. I’ll try to connect with you & @Pat AKA mustski if/when I make it there.

Thanks again for everyone’s responses and happy t-giving skiing!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi Pugski,

Peace.
Ross

Welcome!

Let me know if you come to Colorado :wave:

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi Ross, welcome to socal!!! I am in south Orange county and make a couple trips locally if conditions allow. I usually hit up Mt High since its an easy drive but now I have some friends that live in Big Bear @Pat AKA mustski so will try to get up there as much as possible. Feel free to PM me whenever and we can make some turns. I also do an annual Mammoth trip with the fam in early April for spring break. I highly recommend Mammoth in the spring time. Its great all year but has some of the best spring skiing in the country IMO. Let me know if you have any questions, Ive been living here for my entire life (46 years).

Sponsor

Staff online