• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ibis Mojo3 vs Ripley LS or other cause to post regarding tire width

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I just dropped the deposit on a new Mojo 3 today. :yahoo:

Should have it in 2-3 weeks.

By the way, in case you were wondering, red is the fastest color.

-laine

Reactions: Ron

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First up- Ibis Rilpley LS, I also am concerned with the pedal strikes.

Next up was the Intense Primer- Maybe it was tired legs and I am really thinking the anemic 2.25's just don't grip and roll as well.

The Ripley is a wonderful bike, ruined a bit for me by Ibis buying into the overly low bottom bracket trend. Some of us like pedaling through rocks and roots.

@Ron, does the Primer still come with Maxxis High Rollers or DHRs or whatever? VERY slow rolling tires. Often referred to as Slow Rollers instead of High Rollers.

Enjoy the next demos. Interested in your thoughts on the Fuel EX. The Reaktiv rear shock valving is magical. I ride and race the 2016 version (120 x 120 mm) and it is my all-time favorite endurance racing bike. An amazing One Bike For Everything candidate.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@Tom K. IMHO (very humble hacker opinion) the BB is too low; most are now. I too want to be able to climb and pedal. I think the focus is on shuttle biking or something, I mean, where are people riding where they don't have rocky/rooted climbs that you can't coast or even 1/2 pedal to get up? (I tried the 1/2 pedal technique and that's where a I9 3* hub may make the difference)--- BTW- the Treck FUEL EX BB is 13.20 so its not like there's really a significant difference

The Primer had NN's. Doing some searches, i have read the Primer can take a 2.6 but I would have to see that. I think a wider ID rim 35ID with a 2.5 might be just fine. Of course you could run a 2.6 up front. But the price of that bike is too high unless someone is cutting some deals. the pro build is 7k, The drop the suspension to Fox to Prime elite (which is perfectly fine) and give you those DT Swiss wheels so for me, I dont want those wheels and you are paying a premium for them.

Keep in mind I am a intermediate Mtn biker who doesn't race so my needs are different. I will take a "fun" bike over a serious fast bike.

looking forward to the M3 and Fuel 9.8.

Future demos- 429 Trail and SB4.5 or Sb5

....and then the 2018's will be out and all that demoing will be for not..... :roflmao:

Last edited:

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
sweet! @laine care to share what tested and why you went with the M3?

I wanted a 5"-ish travel bike, so I looked at what fit my criteria. I'm 5'1" - so frame sizing and geometry is not as easy for me as it probably is for you. My inseam is about 28.5"-ish - so standover is important to me. (There is this thing called "clam slam" - but we won't talk about that.)

Criteria list:
  • 5"-ish inches of travel
  • Low standover
  • Carbon frame
  • Customizable - I want to build from the frame - I have to change too many things on prebuilt bikes (cranks to a shorter length, stem, bars, grips, saddle, etc.)
  • Not a women's bike - unisex only (easier for resale)
  • Available for a test ride

That said, I took a look at the bikes that met my criteria and narrowed it down to a few:
  • Mojo 3
  • SB5
  • Transition Scout
  • Pivot Switchblade

Mojo 3 - The first time I demo'd this bike, it was on 2.8 tires - which I had never ridden before. I really like how the DW Link climbs, in general, and climbing is my weak area. The bike just felt like it fit and it had this combination of stability and nimbleness on the downhill. I just had a smile on my face. Because of the large tires, I found another one locally to demo - it had 2.5 tires - so a bit closer to what I'd ride. And I rode it on my local trails, so I could really get a feel for it. Loved it the second time as well.

SB5 - This was a close second, but I felt the geometry was slightly off for me. I liked the low standover of the XS, but the cockpit felt a bit cramped compared with the Mojo 3. It did feel really nimble on the ride, but I felt the Mojo 3 was a bit more stable (which may have been the tires). It was tough because I wasn't comparing apples to apples - the SB5 had 2.35 tires, so it was hard to compare exactly.

Transition Scout - As is often the case with bike demos, there was just one size small at the demo I went to. There was a wait for it, and I was chatting with one of the women waiting for it. She got it about an hour later, and was kind enough to let me do a quick parking lot ride before she took it out on the trail. It was ok - but the geometry of the Mojo 3 and SB5 both felt better. So I kind of just ruled it out based on that ride.

- The standover was just slightly too high for me.

Switchblade - I really have no need for a 29-er, so don't really need this option on a bike. I didn't get a chance to test ride this bike - but they do have demos by me, so I could probably try to track one down. But I really liked the Mojo 3, so felt like I had found my steed.

-laine

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Nice summary! And, I have a new biking buzz word..... :) I will write up something shortly but I got on a mojo 3 today and I can't agree more with you in regards to the wheels and tires. The Ibis's, with the 35 ID Wheel sets are on it! I was only able to get on a 2.35" and what a difference. I much prefer the wider for the ease and pure fun factor. Nice choice. @laine I demoed the Trek Fuel EX 9.8 which is the shop owners personal bike and he had the new 30mmID XXX Carbon wheels but it running 2.25 ardents. Even with the same 2.25's as the Intense Primer's amenic 21mmID , the FEX was more stable and rolled better. There is no doubt in my mind the 30-35mm wheel is the way to go and I prefer the 35 ID. I am going to talk to my LBS owner to see if he's willing to put the spec'd 2.8 or even a 2.6 on the demo mojo so I can test it an then decide. I would love to demo the trek with a wider tire as well- long story short, the FUEL EX is close to the ripley but the Ripley is my choice for pure smooth climbing and roll over cush. The FUEL EX was really good though. I do wonder if putting a wider tire on the 30's if it would be as "easy" as the ripley.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. IMHO (very humble hacker opinion) the BB is too low; most are now. I too want to be able to climb and pedal. I think the focus is on shuttle biking or something, I mean, where are people riding where they don't have rocky/rooted climbs that you can't coast or even 1/2 pedal to get up? (I tried the 1/2 pedal technique and that's where a I9 3* hub may make the difference)--- BTW- the Treck FUEL EX BB is 13.20 so its not like there's really a significant difference.

Keep in mind I am a intermediate Mtn biker who doesn't race so my needs are different. I will take a "fun" bike over a serious fast bike.

To your first point, the perceived difference between a 13.0 and 13.2" BB height is surprisingly big.

To your second, I'm the same, though I do race. No pure race bike. A 120 x 120 bike is perfect for me. You should like the new Fuel Ex at 130 x 130 even more!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Oh do tell !!! anything new coming for 2018?

Since I cant demo a spec'd setup FEX here, its hard to say. it would be nice to try this with the spec'd 2.4's.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
HEy @Tom K. or others in the know, Any clue when Trek is going to start making Fuel EX's?

I heard a rumor that 18s were going to be available for order before the beginning of July.

Nothing certain, yet, though.