• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ibis Mojo3 vs Ripley LS or other cause to post regarding tire width

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The original HD was the best climbing bike I have ever ridden. Unfortunately, my LBS had major quality control issues with Ibis. Nearly as bad as Evil and they no longer sell either brand. I'd still take my chances with either one though.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I still have the mojo 3 on the short list. My old Mojo SL climb super well. I liked the feel of their frames

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately, my LBS had major quality control issues with Ibis. Nearly as bad as Evil and they no longer sell either brand. I'd still take my chances with either one though.

True regarding both brands. My statistically insignficant observations indicate they've both worked through these early teething issues.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I was given the OK to ride on flat pavement with flat pedals at old geezer speed today.ogwink I think I might take the mojo and Ripley LS out for a short and very limited spin this weekend. I might get some feel for the bikes. No substitute for descending fun switchbacks but at least I can pretend.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Jwrags - the core trail is a great paved "trail" that has become a bit overcrowded due to its popularity for sure. It follows the yampa river for 7 miles.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was given the OK to ride on flat pavement with flat pedals at old geezer speed today.ogwink I think I might take the mojo and Ripley LS out for a short and very limited spin this weekend. I might get some feel for the bikes. No substitute for descending fun switchbacks but at least I can pretend.

Oh, nice!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I had to work up to 100 watts (continuous) at "level 5" on trainer for 30 minutes. I shattered that today at level 6 maintaining 116 watts :)

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
target bikes (all subject to change without notice, and anything new for 2018 that comes out)

Ibis - Mojo 3 and Ripley LS
Pivot 429 Trail- 9'r and or 27.5
Yeti 4.5c and/or SB5
Possible trek Fuel EX

All good bikes. I really want what feels good to me in switchbacks, climbing and then descending.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Your Giant seems like a pretty sweet bike. Where/how is it letting you down?

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
it wasn't really. there's a story to it. It was a good time to sell to someone who really needed a good bike.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Devinci Django? Look interesting and can take up to a 29 2.8 tire....I think.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
where did you see that? the Django can roll as a 27.5 or 29 .... Are there any 29x 2.8's yet? FWIW- Maxxis WT tire widths are calculated at max tire pressure so the real world PSI of 15-17 pretty much results in about a .2 reduction in width, so their 2.8 is really a 2.6.

EDIT: According to EVO.com, max tire clearance on the 29 is 2.35.

Last edited:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
where did you see that? the Django can roll as a 27.5 or 29 .... Are there any 29x 2.8's yet? FWIW- Maxxis WT tire widths are calculated at max tire pressure so the real world PSI of 15-17 pretty much results in about a .2 reduction in width, so their 2.8 is really a 2.6.

EDIT: According to EVO.com, max tire clearance on the 29 is 2.35.
Sorry reading to many reviews. It's the Spot Mayhem that takes a 2.8 and it is for for 27.5 wheel size.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I will write up something specific but I wanted to get a quick summary on todays testing for @UGASkiDawg and others from todays demo

Course:
only about 1.5 miles each way (I am not supposed to climb at all or torque hip... oh well) up the beginning of the Bluff trail which has a shorter 100 yard initial climb then goes into slight climb with twists, 2 bridge crossings on switchbacks and some flowy buff and a rock garden section with a 10' section of cascading rocks. All-said, it was actually a decent little test run.

First up- Ibis Ripley LS, Large frame, 2.6 tires. Setup with their NX build and 938 wheels (35ID) $3999 (ok, lets just call it 4K) the carbon frame feels good, I would love to ride this with the 942 Carbon hoops. For NX 1x 11-42 paired with a 30t ring, it shifted and braked well. The 760 bars felt good and it was paired with a 50mm stem. Although the ETT is 24.4 the reach is 428mm, I would want to go 60. I didn't feel cramped but I wanted a bit more reach.

The Ripley pedals very well with very little bob with great anti-squat characteristics ; the kinematics are fantastic! I was surprised at this and the 2.6's do very well to mute the ride in a good smooth way. It just rolls effortlessly over small rocks and undulations. I was riding with my neighbor, he said "you like that bike, I can tell by your smile" The climb is right at the start of the trail and damn does the Ripley climb! the 2.6's have amazing traction and the Ripley felt great; I couldn't believe how well it climbed. on the flowy twisty stuff I was rusty since I was banned from mountain biking last July but after a few turns and switchbacks, i was feeling pretty good. The Ripley is pretty nimble and with more time back in the saddle, I think it will be just as nimble as the trance. I found the bigger tires required just a bit earlier setup in the turns but it wasn't sluggish or vague. Confidence inspiring.

The Ripley wants to Rip.. Its a fast bike. The 2.6's coupled with the 29" wheels are so smooth and easy. the Nobby Nic has a more rounded edge profile which I like and it was easy to lean the bike over and didn't fight to stand back up. In the small rock section it was too easy on the down soaking up the hits remarkably well. On the up, I got a pedal strike. I tried it a second time, and got it again. the 13" BB is low but I dont know if a 13.25" would be any different. On the way back its pretty much all gentle downhill. Again, the Ripley wanted to Rip. the tires are so much fun and they just grip and roll so easy. I will have a very hard time buying a bike that doesn't have the ability to take a 2.6 (real measured) or close. That, paired with the smooth carbon feel of the Ibis frame is a pretty special ride.

Things I didn't like or were blown away by: I felt a little high on the bike, this could be a matter of better setup. I also am concerned with the pedal strikes.--- EDIT- 2nd DEMO: I went to the IBIS site and researched their suggested Setup: I discovered the Shop had too much air in the shock and fork. I reduced to Ibis specs and that did the trick! WOW, The added Sag dropped me in the frame getting me to that "in the frame" feel. The lower center of gravity made the bike even easier to handle and to lean. It was still unbelievably good at climbing.

PEDAL STRIKE ISSUE: Not so much.... I'm gonna strike my first experience with pedal strike up to being rusty. I did the second ride on the same course and this time I cleaned the rock garden twice with no strikes, then, on another section a rider didn't yield to me as I was climbing up and I had to bail off the trail over some ragged granite and I cleared that section as well so I am confident that for where I ride, I will be fine.

This bike was a blast to ride though.- From what I recall, as much as I liked my trance, the Ripley was much more fun. Especially in the climbing department and how it just makes small trail chatter disappear.

Next up was the Intense Primer- although not on my radar, the boys at Steamboat Bike suggested it. Again, a 29'r carbon with a xt 1x, 11-46, 32t build. 140 Pike, 115-130 shock. This bike was factory spec'd with 2,25 tires!!!! WTF??? I took it on a shorter route and will take out again tomorrow once my hip rests up. Brief thoughts: I was surprised by the Intense! What a stiff , super responsive frame and had a really nice feel. Accelerated very well with little bob but the Primer didn't climb as well as the Ripley. This was noticeable, On the Ripley I just dropped gears and didn't even have to move forward on the saddle, with the Primer, I have to work more. Maybe it was tired legs and I am really thinking the anemic 2.25's just don't grip and roll as well. I suggested that the shop change out the tires for something wider. It certainly had room for 2.35's if not larger. The wheelset looked a little low-budget (supposedly a DT swiss 1900 which has a 21mm ID) too so maybe its a combo of a bunch of things. I did like the way it handled the flowy stuff and on the down it was really smooth. The Primer has the ability to run as a 115 or 130 Rear. I had it in the 130. It was very smooth. I also liked how I sat in the frame. I felt more "in" the frame than on the Ripley LS.

Things I didn't like: Those tires and wheels... WTF. I would put this bike on my list if I could demo again with some real rubber and a wider ID wheels. After riding the Ripley, I don't know if I want to back to anything narrower than a 2.5 or so. Even their top build uses a DT Swiss which only runs a 24 ID rim. Maybe for 2018, they will get things turned around,

OK- So tomorrow, I'm taking out the Mojo3 and Trek Fuel 9.8 which came into their shop with the new XXX rims.....

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online